1987 Chief - Clean 'n Simple

Hello all, I'm Mike aka grinch and I just brought home my 1987 Jeep Comanche Chief on 8/11/16. This is my first project vehicle, first Comanche, and first Jeep. To say that I'm new at this is an understatement.

About

1987 Jeep Comanche Chief

4.0 straight 6

4x4

AW4 auto trans

NP231

short bed

Dana 30 high pinion front

Dana 44 rear

3.73 gears.

Tires/suspension:

BFGoodrich 33x12.5R15 tires

Jegs D-Window 15X8 5X4.5 4" backspacing

Bilstein 5100 series shocks

Clayton control arms

Spring Over Axle (SOA) rear lift

Unknown brand front coil springs

Engine:

Mostly stock

Bosch 69302 fuel pump

Wix oil filter

Mobil 1 10w-30 full synthetic oil

Aftermarket short ram air intake

Misc:

LED lightbar

Purchased with 172k miles on the odometer

Backstory

I got the Jeep "bug" after purchasing a 2000 XJ for my wife. She's always loved Jeeps, her first vehicle was a ~94 Grand Cherokee, and her dream car was/is an XJ. I couldn't keep my hands off of it and she got mad at me for doing stuff to her Jeep without asking, so I decided to get my own to play with! Historically I've been more interested in Japanese sports cars (300zx, Supra, etc.) but have never ponied up and bought one, so this a departure from the norm.

I was attracted to the MJ because of its rarity. I've always been a fan of vehicles that you don't see every day. I liked the boxy look of the Cherokees but wanted something that you don't see every day. Even more rare is a clean, nicely maintained MJ...which brings me to...

Big Picture Plan

I want this to be a clean, reliable, and practical MJ, built mostly for cruising on the street and the occasional furniture move or trip to Home Depot. I've never really done off-roading, mudding, or crawling...which seems to put me in the minority among Jeep owners. But I like the idea of it being capable of off-roading if needed! It will also be nice to have another 4x4 vehicle in the arsenal for when it snows. And who knows, I might start offroading now that I have a vehicle that is capable of doing so -- I've never owned a 4x4 vehicle before.

I'm normally a bit OCD with cleanliness and proper maintenance when it comes to my vehicles, so that's going to be one of the big goals here. I was originally thinking of going back to a stock look, but the longer I've had the truck and the more I get into the Jeep world, the more I've grown to appreciate the lifted w/ bigger tires look.

It will not be my daily driver, I've got a Honda Accord for that. It's registered as Historic in MD so I don't have to mess with inspections or emissions which is great. I'm also not in any particular rush to get this into perfect condition, nor do I have any plans to get rid of it. I'd like to keep this truck long term -- I was born in 87 so it already has some sentimental significance to me.

Specific Plans

Just starting to flesh this out but...

When I bought it, it was in fairly rough shape, here's the list I've got so far of things to tackle:

• Clean and detail it (ongoing)
  • Loud exhaust -- will repair or replace with a stock or stock equivalent exhaust
  • Get new tires and alignment
  • Passenger side vent glass needs to be replaced
  • Sound of air when brake depressed -- likely brake booster. Will do a dual diaphram brake booster upgrade.
  • Fix air conditioning -- needs new compressor
  • Loud engine noise on startup which the previous owner described as lifter tick -- goes away after a few seconds. Working on fixing this by using Wix oil filters and Marvel Mystery Oil.
  • Fix the fuel guage (not working) and get rid of the aftermarket one that someone installed
  • Very small oil leak from the oil pan
  • CCV/PCV grommet & elbow needs to be replaced
  • Whirring sound coming from gas tank area -- fixed by replacing fuel pump
  • Pull carpet to check floorpans for rust
  • Surface rust -- eventually I'll be having the truck repainted so this will likely be taken care of then
  • Get rid of the LED bar -- doesn't jive with the stock look I'm going for and I probably won't use it anyway
  • Get rid of the stickers
  • Drivers seat is not level, identify issue and repair
  • Reupholster seats or replace entirely
  • Some day: Dana 44 rear axle with disc brake upgrade The previous owner said it was a Dana 35 but I looked closer and found out it's a Dana 44!
  • Some day: 4.56 gears
Photos

Here she is the day I bought her, on the trailer just about ready for the 5 hour drive from VA to MD.

eTF8Jo8.jpg

Back home

KWjOgw8.jpg

Interior:

0trudo9.jpg?1

That's all for now! Unfortunately I don't have a garage so I'll be limited with how much I can personally do on her (with the big stuff at least). On top of that it has been scorching hot outside so I haven't even started cleaning her yet. But I'm not in a rush, she isn't going anywhere!

Thank you everyone!

Just got it back from the muffler shop, new cat, pipe, and muffler installed to stock specs so it doesn't sound ghetto anymore!

pdtbbsV.jpg?1

Next I am going to tackle the suspension. There's so much play in the steering wheel it's a little scary driving it down the road. I'm also still trying to decide whether to keep the current lift and tire size or bring it back down and get smaller tires. I like how it looks now but it's not as practical for driving around town. Decisions decisions...

I'm also waiting for the weather to cool down so I can start cleaning it and removing stickers and such. Currently if I walk outside this happens...

• 1 month later...

Overdue for an update! Just got new tires installed: BFG A/T KO2 32x11.5x15 along with Jegs 15x8 D window wheels, 4" back spacing.

ff5c87346648943b29920aa46171ca03.jpg

Stickers haven't even been rubbed off yet, haha.

Also got new Skyjacker Nitro shocks in the rear, new U joints, JKS adjustable track bar, and alignment. Drives so much smoother now, especially with freshly balanced tires.

Now I'm seriously considering lowering it down a little bit. Trying to decide between 3 or 4 inch lift SUA. The current SOA lift isn't very practical for my intended use of this truck, its tough to load the bed and looks a little high with the 32s.

I changed the oil with a Wix filter and Mobile 1 10w 30 in hopes of fixing the loud noise on startup with no success. So that's still an issue that needs to be addressed.

Next up I gotta fix that broken vent window on the passenger side. Also wanna do the WJ brake booster upgrade.

Obsessed with this truck!! Oh and I started @comanche.club on Instagram, so give it a follow if you have an IG account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snagged some fixed vent windows on eBay and installed one on my passenger side door tonight! No more duct tape over the window hurray.

39f00dc00a5d52ff2b2438f8c1227798.jpg

I also drained the oil to put fresh oil and a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in hopes of curing my lifter tick on startup. Didnt immediately fix it but I'm gonna give it time now. It doesn't happen if the engine is warm, only on a cold start.

Finally, I replaced the PCV grommet because the old one was torn up and barely secure...the previous owner had it secured with zip ties.

Productive evening!

I ordered a new fuel pump because the old one is super loud and seems to be showing signs of failing. Also getting some fresh window seals because the old ones are worn out.

Uhg I can't make up my mind whether I should drop the truck to 3.5" or keep the current 5.5" SOA. I feel like if I keep the current lift I should move up to 33x12.5 tires because my current 32x11.5s look a little small.

I know it's ultimately up to me but opinions are welcome :)

Uhg I can't make up my mind whether I should drop the truck to 3.5" or keep the current 5.5" SOA. I feel like if I keep the current lift I should move up to 33x12.5 tires because my current 32x11.5s look a little small.

I know it's ultimately up to me but opinions are welcome :)

3.5" w 31s is perfect in my not-so-humble opinion.

Also getting some fresh window seals because the old ones are worn out.

Where are you getting the window seals from? I have a lot of wind noise and want to replace mine.

I ordered mine off RockAuto.com, ordered them from the equivalent year Cherokee since those match.  Here are the part numbers:

OMIX-ADA 1230367
OMIX-ADA 1230373
OMIX-ADA 1230366
OMIX-ADA 1230372

I love my 5 soa rear. but I'm a tall bastard so that helps with loading. If the soa was done correctly by welding new perches on top of the axle id keep it. like most of us once you go wheeling you'll be glad you didn't pay to lower your truck. You didn't have any pics of the front suspension, but if its still using the stock "frame" brackets look a getting a drop set, least until you want to go crazy.

also the zj steering upgrade (I bent mine on the street)

Zj front sway bar (helps w body roll bit more)

wj control arms (stronger, cheap and bent to clear a larger tire) 

If you can or know somebody who welds, look into the wj brake swap

And a good alternative to the 44 is 9" outa a pre80s econoline van

Just some sugestions that I found works, good luck and great truck!

I love my 5 soa rear. but I'm a tall bastard so that helps with loading. If the soa was done correctly by welding new perches on top of the axle id keep it. like most of us once you go wheeling you'll be glad you didn't pay to lower your truck. You didn't have any pics of the front suspension, but if its still using the stock "frame" brackets look a getting a drop set, least until you want to go crazy.

also the zj steering upgrade (I bent mine on the street)

Zj front sway bar (helps w body roll bit more)

wj control arms (stronger, cheap and bent to clear a larger tire) 

If you can or know somebody who welds, look into the wj brake swap

And a good alternative to the 44 is 9" outa a pre80s econoline van

Just some sugestions that I found works, good luck and great truck!

I appreciate the input! Yeah I'm currently leaning towards keeping the SOA lift and just upgrading stuff on the front end. Of course last week I was planning on dropping it to 3.5" haha so I'm gonna give it some more time to see what I decide on. Right now one of the biggest factors is cost. To do the exact 3.5" lift that I want it would be around $1300 in parts alone which I already mapped out:

Hells Creek 3” rear leaf - $659.50 (shipped)
Rubicon Express 3.5” super ride front kit - $404
Front shocks: Bilstein 5100 series 24-188197 - $152 (pair)
Rear shocks: Bilstein 5100 series 33-185552 - $167 (pair)
Total: $1382.50

But if I keep it SOA, I can just get new shocks in the front and possibly new coil springs and call it a day. Well like I mentioned before I'll probably sell my 32x11.5s and go up to 33x12.5s.

Got some time to work on the truck yesterday. Swapped my drivers side vent window to fixed so now both vents are fixed, just the way I wanted it!

Also did some cleaning on the inside, doors are now both pretty clean and I took part of the dash apart to do some more deep cleaning. There's dirt and dust everywhere in this thing! I'm honestly considering taking it to a professional detailer, especially to get the underside and interior cleaned up.

I continue to lean towards keeping the current lift setup and then move up to 33s. I've even started considering 35s recently :o Inchitis is real folks...especially since at one point I considered bringing this truck back to a stock look.

Oh and I figured out that my rear axle is actually a Dana 44, not a D35 like the previous owner told me. So needless to say that was awesome to find out!

Bit the bullet and moved up to 33x12.5x15s today. Wish I had bought these in the first place but oh well, live and learn. They look much more appropriate for my lift size. I'm pretty much set on keeping my current lift now, just gonna replace some stuff in the front end to make it ride smoother.

The guy at Pep Boys looked at me like I had 2 heads because my other tires were basically brand new. I just said, "I wanted bigger tires" lol. Don't think he got it :/

2b35a9bb2580c719af491c5d7686e364.jpg

Gonna sell my 32s on Craigslist hopefully someone wants em.

• 3 weeks later...

That does look good. I like the 2 tone. Gotta find a black bumper for mine or a winch bumper

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks man!

Honestly I'm not sure I'm gonna keep the 2 tone look long term. When I have it repainted my plan is to have that bedliner across the bottom removed and have it painted all white. I'll probably keep the fender flares and bumpers black but that's all.

In other updates:

I successfully sold my old BFG 32s on Craigslist for $600 which I was happy with. Right now, the truck is back in the shop getting a few things done that I didn't feel like tackling myself:

1. New transmission mount to fix my exhaust rattling against the cross member issue
  2. New Bosch fuel pump to hopefully resolve my extremely loud fuel pump issue
  3. Diagnosing some faulty wiring that is causing my aftermarket fuel guage to read backwards (E when full, F when empty)

Next up after all that I'll tackle the following (or have a shop tackle it for me, lol):

1. Dual diaphragm brake booster upgrade
  2. Bilstein 5100 shocks in the front
  3. Diagnose/fix clunking noise coming from the lower control arms

Lately I'm thinking I might have to rename this thread, the truck will be clean, but it's not really "simple". The longer I've had it, the more I've appreciated the lift/bigger tires look!

Quick little before and after video showing the difference my new BOSCH 69302 fuel pump (and a new transmission mount) makes:

BEFORE - I didn't even know what the noise was at the time of this filming, I was gonna post up on here to get you guy's help, but then I figured it out:

AFTER

It's so quiet I can barely hear it! Huge improvement. And the new transmission mount means my exhaust isn't rattling against my crossmember anymore. I'm happy to have a quiet truck again!

Really love your truck, man. My search for the "right one" has been going on for what seems like a long time. I tend to get discouraged from time to time. Coming back here and reading about these builds gets me fired up again.

Did I say I really like your truck? Perfect for what I am looking for.

Really love your truck, man. My search for the "right one" has been going on for what seems like a long time. I tend to get discouraged from time to time. Coming back here and reading about these builds gets me fired up again.

Did I say I really like your truck? Perfect for what I am looking for.

Thanks man I really appreciate it! Yeah it can be a real challenge to find a solid Comanche, especially if you don't live in a very populated area. I had been searching craigslist/autotrader/ebay for weeks and when I found this one I pounced on it immediately. And I still had to drive 4 hours one way! It needed (and still needs) plenty of work, but it ran/drove and was mostly rust free.

Just keep looking -- you'll find one, and you'll be happy when you do! I love my truck.