wiper switch replacement

Bought my 92 with a broken turn signal lever. Found out how to remove broken part of lever, and ordered a replacement Dorman. When i went to install new stalk, realized that the plastic wiper switch is broken too. Their is a few write ups on replacing turn signal lever, but not any on the wiper switch. Is it easier to just switch columns? 

thanks!

I did this when I converted to intermittent wipers. You have to go down deep and dirty in the column to change it out. You need the spring plate tool, and the lock cylinder and multifunction switch has to come out too. Getting it out isn't bad, it's the reinstall that's a bear. At least for me it was. I'm no Saginaw column expert and I had a hard time. Like anything else, if you know your way around steering columns it's probably a piece of cake. I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't. But it can be done taking your time especially the "reassemble in reverse order" part.    :yes:   Here's a good step-by-step on Saginaw column dissection:

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27192

A new wiper switch will set you back about $50, and make sure you get the right one for your column. There are different switches for tilt/non-tilt columns and intermittent or not.

There are several switches available ... Two for the tilt column, and two for the non tilt column. Yeah, surprised me too ... prices vary with type, the non-tilt intermittent being quite pricey.

In the end rather than replace to overpriced Wiper switch I swapped a whole column out. My 88 column was non tilt with intermittent Wiper switch, and I swapped in a 92 tilt with intermittent. Was a $35, 30 minute job compared to a $135 job and hours messing with the column.

I have no issue diving into a column, have the tools, patience and enough know how ... But a column from a parts vehicle is usually quicker and cheaper.

Were you closer I still have three spare columns ... one non-tilt manual and two tilt one auto, one manual. The only difference is the lockout for auto's which is easily defeated. My 88 has a 92 auto column in it.

The columns are pretty near identical 87-93, in 91 they flipped the IGN switch over but the connectors are still the same just upside down and backwards pre and post.

In 94 the changed the connectors (and possibly the IGN switch but can't confirm).

thanks! Appreciate the link, i probably would have found it if i searched GM/Saginaw column instead of just jeep column. Ive got a column out of an 89 but its column shift. Might have one for an 88 as well...can't remember. I have a steering wheel puller, and you can get a lock plate tool for around 10$ on Amazon. Might give it a try and if all else fails swap it out. 

thanks!

Well after realizing that the column on my parts truck is for a column shift auto I decided to tear into my column. I got as far as the lock cylinder. I have no retaining screw for the lock cylinder, and the cylinder will not come out of column. I've tried with the key in all locations as well as lightly prying, will not budge. Anyone have any suggestions? I can't get to my local junk yard for a while and would like to get this project done. 

thanks!

• 8 years later...
On 1/18/2016 at 9:27 AM, HOrnbrod said:

Here's a good step-by-step on Saginaw column dissection:

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27192

I understand that HOrnbrod is no longer with us (RIP) but I thought it was worth noting here that my brother @jamespwsullivan and I have found this video to be very useful--a bit more so than the El Camino Central step-by-step he referenced above:

CHEVROLET STEERING COLUMN REPAIR | Ignition, Dimmer and Wiper Switch Replacement!

The video shows the column out of the vehicle, which helped quite a bit because the lighting was a lot better. :-)

We also found that the K-M J-23653-A lock plate compressor tool referred to in the factory workshop manual and shown in the video is *definitely* worth the small amount of money to buy it. It's readily available. (NAPA has it in the Balkamp line, P/N 7769063, $14.50.)

Also, as the video makes clear, the wiper switch is pretty much the first thing installed at the upper end of the column, so you basically have to take the entire upper end apart to get to it. Yay.

On 1/18/2016 at 12:20 PM, Rockfrog said:

The columns are pretty near identical 87-93, in 91 they flipped the IGN switch over but the connectors are still the same just upside down and backwards pre and post.

In 94 the changed the connectors (and possibly the IGN switch but can't confirm).

This is my first time reading this thread.  FYI, they didn't flip the ignition switch in 91.  What he is seeing, is there is a different ignition switch for tilt and non-tilt columns (84-94.5).  They look very similar, bolt on the same, use the same connectors, BUT the you have to flip the connectors over when going from tilt to non-tilt (or vice versa).

tilt vs non tilt ignition switch.png

Here’s another decent write up that I followed this fall. 
http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/tiltsteeringcolumnwobble.htm

YouTube makes for decent entertainment but repair videos have always been useless to me for actual repairs. Too much info I don’t need obscuring the couple bits I do. I’d much rather have all of it presented at once so I can scan through it and pick out the bits I need without having to sit mindlessly waiting for something.

3 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Here’s another decent write up that I followed this fall. 
http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/tiltsteeringcolumnwobble.htm

YouTube makes for decent entertainment but repair videos have always been useless to me for actual repairs. Too much info I don’t need obscuring the couple bits I do. I’d much rather have all of it presented at once so I can scan through it and pick out the bits I need without having to sit mindlessly waiting for something.

Thanks for this. We were working on a non-tilt column. Help on those was a bit harder to find.

You might want to give the video I posted a try. The lighting is super-good so everything is easy to see, and a lot of the steps are sped up, so you don't have to spend hours watching.

20 minutes ago, kentsu66 said:

Thanks for this. We were working on a non-tilt column. Help on those was a bit harder to find.

You might want to give the video I posted a try. The lighting is super-good so everything is easy to see, and a lot of the steps are sped up, so you don't have to spend hours watching.

Gotcha. 

And no I’m not giving any YouTube videos a try. Been there, done that. It takes 30 seconds to scan a write-up. It’s ten minutes of scrolling, getting bored losing focus to watch a video. 0/10 not worth it ever. 

19 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Gotcha. 

And no I’m not giving any YouTube videos a try. Been there, done that. It takes 30 seconds to scan a write-up. It’s ten minutes of scrolling, getting bored losing focus to watch a video. 0/10 not worth it ever. 

Yeah, lots of guys grab their phone or GoPro, and start "filming" while talking through the process.   The problem is:

(1) they don't hold the phone focused on the important stuff

(2) they use little to no additional illumination when looking into dark areas

(3) they often use improper nomenclature for key parts  (I just watched on the other day where two guys were doing an "in chassis" cylinder refresh, and they kept calling cylinders the "cylinder head", among other things of that nature.)  If you don't know the names of the parts, why should I trust your advice on how to perform a repair?

HOWEVER.....every once in a while, you can actually find someone who does a decent job of videoing his work, and he gives accurate information.  An example might be "Matt" from "Bleeping Jeep"

2 hours ago, AZJeff said:

HOWEVER.....every once in a while, you can actually find someone who does a decent job of videoing his work, and he gives accurate information. An example might be "Matt" from "Bleeping Jeep".

@jamespwsullivanand I love Matt's videos. I'd be interested in what you think of the steering column video I linked to above. I thought the guy did a really nice job with lighting and with speeding up segments so that the viewer's time was well-spent.

20 hours ago, kentsu66 said:

@jamespwsullivanand I love Matt's videos. I'd be interested in what you think of the steering column video I linked to above. I thought the guy did a really nice job with lighting and with speeding up segments so that the viewer's time was well-spent.

His photography was very good, with bright lighting so one could see the critical details.  About the only thing he might have done would be to stop the action in a couple of spots and point out some super important things, like not allowing the gearshift indicator "string" that connects from the column up into the instrument cluster to become overstretched or broken.  He paused the video, but a could of words at this point could have emphasized how easy it is to miss this little step if one is not careful.

Otherwise, it's well done.