Flat towing

CEThomas

Well the cats out of the bag ;)

This weekend we get another Jeep to add to the family, something for my daughter to drive in the winter and (MY) wheeling rig :D

It's a 92 XJ with a blown engine :chillin:

It's located about 3.5 hrs away and I am having trouble finding a tow dolly. I was wondering how it would be to flat tow and is the factory bumper stout enough to handle flat towing if I can not find a tow dolly by the weekend.

Well the cats out of the bag ;)

This weekend we get another Jeep to add to the family, something for my daughter to drive in the winter and (MY) wheeling rig :D

It's a 92 XJ with a blown engine :chillin:

It's located about 3.5 hrs away and I am having trouble finding a tow dolly. I was wondering how it would be to flat tow and is the factory bumper stout enough to handle flat towing if I can not find a tow dolly by the weekend.

factory bumper = not good enough.

tow straps = not enough for 3.5 hours away.

flat towing = terrible on your brakes and tires, I'd be surprised if either last the trip with no problems.

find a car dolly, go to Uhaul and rent one.

I didn't even know you had a cat ;)

I have flat towed, but only 3-4 miles, transfer case in neutral. drive shafts connected.

That far, I would take the drive shaft off, and not chance it.

Is the bumper stout enought......NO, look at the brackets that hold the bumper on, here are only 4- 5/16 bolts holding it to the bent sheet metal brackets. for towing it that far, I would not trust the bumper.

Plus, if your towing with your Ranger, the XJ is almost equal in weight, if not more, and it would be a tought tow with a dolly. It can be done, but would be a hairy ride, but only when you "got" to stop. A car hauler would be better, with brakes. I know u-haul charges $39 for the dolly, and $49 for the hauler, and I'll take the car hauler any day, any where. But you seen what I pull it with.

Have you checked with u-haul if your ranger can pull a car hauler??

I didn't even know you had a cat ;)

Have you checked with u-haul if your ranger can pull a car hauler??

How many cat's do you need? I offer free cats to anyone that comes to my garage :D

U-hall wants a full size truck or van used for the car hauler.

Going to drop the 4.0 in the back of the Ranger for weight on the rear axle. And the way I am going is all flat land :cheers:

Some of the U-Hauls out here won't let just anyone rent a tow dolly and drive away with it. I had to bring in the vehicle that would be doing the towing, tell them what was going to be towed, then the tow vehicle got inspected and the ratings were checked. PITA, but I had a snapped ball joint and not many options.

HeHe.....I'll past on the cats, in fact you may have all the cats.

Another thought on flat towing, yes, I understand that U-haul has thier say on what you hook "there" equipment to, like they will not hook any trailer to a Ford Explorer (tire blow out from 5-6 years ago = big law suit) It's right in there paper work.

You should be fine flat towing, with a tow bar, But I would take the bumper off, and bolt the bar conectors into the uni-frame, 1/2" bolts, and if your using an "adjustable" tow bar, make sure it is tight at all of the "slots" and even bolt a spreader bar across it where it bolts to the frame, I had one loosen towing a 3/4 ton chevy pick-up, and I swore that I seem the pick-ups tail lights in my mirror. In other words, it started swaying around, and had to stop and tighten all of the bolts. This same truck, I never went over 55, and even under most of the 100 miles that I towed it.

Also make sure you have at least 2 chains hooked from your tower' to the towee' last thing you want to have happen is having the XJ pass you going down hill :eek:

Your idea with the engine in the back of the Ranger is a good idea. That little extra weight will help.

And I would think you would want to add some "tow lights" to the back of the XJ, should make the smokey happy. I would pull the drive shaft for that long of a tow and take it easy, and you should have your XJ added to the collection with no problems. :D

Yes, u-haul is a PITA. I have to pick-up the dolly with the tow vehicle and advise them that I am getting a Geo Metro :D to get off the lot.

Going to pull the DS flat or dolly tow ;)

Yes have to get some lights set up, it's all flat ground and 50% of it is 2 lane back roads.

Should know something today if they can find a dolly for me.

Back in the day... my buddy had his '87 auto 4x4 flat towed about 40 miles with the driveshaft connected and it ended up either burning his tranny or his t-case, don't remember, because it wasn't circulating fluid, I believe. Memory's hazy on that one, but pull your DS.

In the aluminum NP tcases that have oil pumps, they are all driven by the rear output shaft. Leave the rear driveshaft on and your tcase will be lubed.

Transmissions are a little different. So I'd normally say to leave the tcase in neutral and the tranny in gear. However, I know guy that flat towed his YJ with the tcase in a gear and the tranny in neutral. Worked fine until the time the tranny popped into gear and the tcase grenaded.

XJs are set up to be flat towed. Tranny in Park, transfer case in neutral. Personally, for a trip of 3-1/2+ hours I would pull both driveshafts to be sure.

If you drive easy, the stock front bumper is okay if you attach the drawbar right next to the support brackets. I've done it; a friend and I hauled an MJ from New Bedford, MA, to my house in CT. All but a few miles at each end of the trip was Interstate highway and fairly level going. But be sure you take it easy, or you'll rip the front bumper right off. They aren't very strong.

Don't forget to unlock the steering column in the XJ!

Well I may have a dolly, If the guy brings it back on time Saturday :chillin:

From U-Haul?

Don't bet the ranch. The last time I needed a dolly I called around to three different U-Hauls before I found one that said they had a dolly I could rent on Saturday. So I showed up a 09:30, which is the time I was scheduled to pick it up, and the guy tells me my Comanche is too small to pull a car trailer. I said, "Yeah, that's why I rented a dolly."

Well, he said I rented a trailer, and they didn't have a dolly. All they had for me was a trailer. "What about that one out front, chained to the column?" Oh, that one wasn't for rent.

Screw U-Haul. I went 15 miles down the road and rented one from a local place that doesn't play games.

With the ranger you will want to watch the braking.I useto pull my sami with my XJ an at about 2800 lbs. it was all I could do to stop them. I have pulled it with my MJ and you really have to watch the brake's in a turn as it will push the truck around real easy. So just take it easy an you should be fine.

89 Chevy conv. van Notice the dent under the

tail light from when it got crossed up an the

tow bar stop it from jack knifing. If it will

push the van around in a curve it will push

the ranger too. I'am just saying be carefull

when pulling a truck that's close in wt. to the tow rig.

Image Not Found

Here's the other one at 2000lb's an it will push the MJ around

when braking in a turn.

I am going to drop the 4.0 in the bed behind the axle to give the Ranger more grip.

Bad idea. Behind the axle will push the back end of the truck down and take weight off the front, which compromises your steering.

Put the weight either directly over the rear axle, or slightly ahead of it,. And be sure to strap it in so it won't slide. (There IS a story behind that bit of advice.)

From U-Haul?

Don't bet the ranch. The last time I needed a dolly I called around to three different U-Hauls before I found one that said they had a dolly I could rent on Saturday. So I showed up a 09:30, which is the time I was scheduled to pick it up, and the guy tells me my Comanche is too small to pull a car trailer. I said, "Yeah, that's why I rented a dolly."

Well, he said I rented a trailer, and they didn't have a dolly. All they had for me was a trailer. "What about that one out front, chained to the column?" Oh, that one wasn't for rent.

Screw U-Haul. I went 15 miles down the road and rented one from a local place that doesn't play games.

I agree that U-haul can be a pain, depends on whom is behine the counter, But I've hauled 5 comanche on the U-haul car hauler, and they fit fine. Only one I had a problem with was putting one on backwards (had a plow mounted to it) and the trailer fish-tailed some, short slow ride, and made it. For the $10 more I take the car hauler, and give them the $8 damage waver, that covers the trailer, and what's on it (The MJ)

Charles....when you were up here, should have stop at the U-haul 1/2 mile from the house, they have 8 car haulers, and 6 tow-dollies sitting there, they would have paided you to haul some back your way ;)

You seen the 1 Ton truck in the shop next to me, that guy hauled it with a disel Suburan 90 miles, with a tow dollie :eek:

If you end up with a tow bar, I looked at an MJ with the bumper off, and the cross frame bar has 2 (high and low) 1/2" holes on each side that would be the perfect mounting spot. I still would not trust the bumper for that far of a haul.

U-haul is just trying to cover their butt cause if you kill/hurt someone in a wreck they will be sued as well. Its all about liability factor.

Before I bought my trailer I was debating buying a tow dolly cause of how much cheaper they are.. after doing lots of research, I went with a trailer cause they have their own brakes. When I bought my truck... I debated between half ton and 3/4 ton.. went with 3/4 ton cause it had the bumper and over all weight rating to carry what I want with a margin for error.

I will put this out there for everyone and anyone. If you are somewhat local, and need your rig towed I will do it for Gas. I would rather sacrafice some time.. then someone get killed or hurt.

Dave that a nice Zuk... I would love to find a nice shell so I can put some of my spare parts to use :D

Thanks,

Eagle I will set it over the axle. I have heavy springs in the Ranger and even with the 4.0 behind the axle I do not get a lot of drop on the Ranger.

Up to December when I sold them I had a trailer and 2500 GMC. I took that with my tractor at 14,000# to my place in Tellico down in TN more then I care to think. Not counting all the grain wagons I have towed. Now tow 3 grain wagons full and get one wipping and then you know you have towed something :D

Charles

Eagle I will set it over the axle. I have heavy springs in the Ranger and even with the 4.0 behind the axle I do not get a lot of drop on the Ranger.

Doesn't matter how heavy your springs are. Simple physics. The rear axle is a fulcrum -- put the weight behind the axle and the physics of moment arms tell you that the whole chassis pivots around the rear axle, adding weight at the rear bumper and taking weight off the front tires.

The principle is exactly the same as loading a trailer. You want 2/3 of the weight ahead of the axle so you have weight on the tongue, rather than putting the load on the tail and having the tongue always ready to pop off the hitch ball.

Thanks,

I know heavy springs do not take care of everything. I also know where the balance point on my ranger super cab is located and all about weight aft of CG. Of anything I have ever had this super cab his the most forward CG I have ever seen :nuts:

My goal is not to move the CG aft and move the weight advantage off the front brakes but get enough weight on the rear axle to hold it to the ground. Not sure if you have ever flowen a plane but if you have you know how things get when you move the CG back to much :D

Charles

had a sig kobra once that I balanced at the spar at the tips.

Didn't have the blueprints and didn't know it had a tapered spar and needed to be measured at the wing root.

so it was a little tail heavy, took off and it went straight up.

how I loved the little enya motor that day.