What kind of snake is this?

HOrnbrod

Copper heads and water snakes are hard to tell apart however that looks like a copper head. If your sure its DEAD look at the pupil if its round its a non posion if its shaped like this ( - ) not sure the word is, its a copper head. Let me know and hope he didnt get bit by it.

Thanks guys, it's a copperhead; the eye pupil looked just like the pics of the northern copperheads I found on-line. The eye is like a slit, definitely not round. They are supposed to be very common here, but it's the first one I've seen in our yard.

Gus is fine. He had it nearly dead when I pulled him off, and the little guy has killed many snakes previously. Mostly moccasins and non-venomous black snakes (racers I think?). And he loves taking on the snapping turtles that try to lay their eggs in his back yard. He won't tolerate any intruders. I think I'll cook him a steak tonight.  :yes:

Growing up we hunted snakes, rattlers mostly our dog would not come near us if we handled them or brought one home even dead they ran away. Regular snakes they would tare apart bit by bit. Old Guss must have some big balls, good for him and glad he is ok.

Which injury? You mean the ripped out claw on his foot? If so, yep, good as new. It grew back perfectly.

We got him from the local shelter back in 09 when he was about a year old. I promised my youngest daughter a pet of her choice if she graduated from high school with honors. She did, and she wanted to find a shelter dog to save. We found Gus locally who had been adopted a couple of times but didn't work out because he bit people. No fear, he just charged and attacked. No one wanted the little bastid, and the shelter was going to euthanize him. They also had no idea of his history. She wanted him anyhow, and we worked with him all summer. He never once tried to bite any of us, and with work and patience he turned out to be a great little Cocker spaniel.

He still has plenty of aggression, but takes it out on trespassers in the yard. Geese, possums, raccoons, turtles, other dogs, cats, and especially snakes. It's fun to watch him patrolling and doing his work. He's about eight years old now (estimated of course) and has never bit a person since we got him. He's my buddy and still going strong.   :yes:

for future reference to all  triangle shaped head = poisonous 

This is not true and should not be used to determine if a snake is poisonous. There are venomous snakes with rounded head shapes (coral snake for one).

Some non-poisonous snake may flatten their heads to resemble triangles when they are threatened (hog nosed snakes, rat snakes and water snakes all do this)

Not all snakes are bad. It is best to leave a snake alone unless it absolutely needs to be killed. They are not looking to hurt humans and are great for pest control.

That snake shoulda killed Gus.  Glad he didn't, but under normal conditions, that snake can bite at ridiculous angles.  Was it particularly cold out?  Perhaps cold had the snake sluggish and slow.

Fifty-ish.

Not all snakes are bad. It is best to leave a snake alone unless it absolutely needs to be killed. They are not looking to hurt humans and are great for pest control.

I'll let Gus know Bo. I don't think he'll listen though.  :yes: