Any WK2 Opinions?

Automan2164

It sad to say, but the old XJ is finally starting to show its age. My '97 Country has treated me kindly over the past few years, but it's time to poop or get off the pot. I don't have many vehicles in my radar, but the WK2 is one of them. I miss my old ZJ, with the room and features. I know a WK would get me a lot of nice features, but then I would have the old V6 as an option, and I really don't like the way they look. The WK2 has the Pentastar in the lineup, as well as just being a (IMHO) a damn good looking vehicle.

I am going to shoot for a price range with 20K being the top end. I know in doing this I am going to end up with something with higher miles, but that really doesn't concern me much. Auto trader says 20K price range is doable, but I want to ask my friends here if they have any opinions on it. I would like to find a Limited or an Overland, because if I am going to have a car payment, it's going to be loaded. I've found some overlands with 100K right around 20K.

I guess my only questions really come down to drivetrain and reliability. I hear great things about the 3.6, and a couple have popped up with the 5.7. Both seem to have similar mileage, so I'm not terrified of that. I would be leaning towards the 3.6 just due to the rumor mill. Are the transmissions better than the Chrysler transmissions of yesteryear? Any other big problems or things to look out for?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

From my experience, the Pentastar 3.6 is a great engine. We had a 2012 JK, the first year for the 3.6, and now have a 2015 JK. Some of the 2012 and early 2013 engines had a valve/head problem especially on the left side that was covered under warranty, but we put 50K on the 2012 with no problems. Our daughter in the USAF drives it now, and it's still problem-free. The 6-speed auto is great and it's fun slap-sticking through the gears when accelerating or decelerating. Mileage is decent (19-21), but not great with the boxy JK.

I'm ASSuming the WK2 drive train is the same as the JK's. One thing that really makes a very noticeable difference is gear ratio. Both the 2012 and 2015 have 18" tires. The gear ratio on the 2012 with auto was the standard 3.21 and it was kind of doggy off the line. I ordered the 2015 with 3.73's, and the lower ratio made a huge difference when accelerating. Mileage remained about the same for both. So if you have a choice, get the numerically higher gear ratio if possible especially if your tires are or will be larger than stock. You'll like it more.  :thumbsup:

I have a '14 WK2. It has the 8sp Auto so I can't comment personally on the 5sp auto in 11-13 era but I am thrilled with mine so far (19k trouble free miles). I'm not aware of any big issues with the 3.6 and 5sp. I'm sure you know it has a shared platform as the Merc ML (which I think is a good thing) and it drives with an air of refinement that I think fits the upmarket pedigree. I probably wouldn't get the air suspension that is offered in the Overland if you can help it; probably more trouble with higher miles and expensive to fix. 

The earlier WK2's had quite a few recalls and TSB isues, the vast majority are nuisance really, just a minor few safety related. I'd buy your used one from a Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler dealer, get with a trustworthy tech/service writer who will print out all the recals nd TSB's, bring those to the negotiation and as a condition of the sale, insist that ALL get addressed before delivery.

Our '12 SRT8 has been in the shop more than any of our new vehicles prior. Some were SRT8 specific (rear magnetic shock defective, front LED shorting out/flickering, roof rack delete strip breaking at mounting screws) but here's a list of the recall/TSB stuff we've had addressed:

Recall- sun visor vanity mirror wire short/fire hazard

Recall- fuel pump wiring harness short/fire hazard

Recall- Brake master cylinder push rod corrosion issue

TSB's:

-squeaking sun roof track/assembly (replaced entire assembly)

-front bumper fascia coming un-snapped around headlights/fenders (lengthy procedure to improve snap tabs)

-water leak around rear wiper assembly (replaced rubber seal)

-loose splash pans and skid plates (tightened fasteners)

Warranty:

-carbon fiber/wood dash trim coming loose and warping (replaced 2 sections of carbon fiber dash trim)

-horn hard to press/honk at steering wheel (replaced airbag assembly -better but not by much)

-batteries in tire pressure monitors low volt. (All replaced)

I think that's all of it.....

Wife hit a dog with it so the front bumper cover and lower grill trim had to be replaced....I had to print out the bumper/fascia TSB to give to the dealer body shop.

Mechanically, it's been the most reliable vehicle we've owned (knock on wood....lol) it's never been towed.

Thanks all for the great input. Sounds like a solid vehicle, like something I would want to pick up. I found one at another local Municipality up for auction. It's a 2011 Laredo with the 3.6 and 113K. They sold another admin unit WK2 last month with new tires and a noted power steering leak for $13,000 after buyer premiums, so that gives me hope. While I would love one loaded to the gills, if I could get into one cheap, feel it out, and go from there, it works for me. I had some friends here and elsewhere look it up for me, and it's current on recalls. Those checks also surfaced some other stuff, like options and gear ratio (3.06. Hopefully different in a WK2 Don!) It's a pretty basic model, but may be a cheap entry into the segment. I've been trying to find out how to add factory things I would want, like touchscreen or remote start after the fact.

I also work in the public sector, so I was going to give the listing agency a call an inquire about service schedules and records for increased peace of mind. I'll ask for any info I can, some are tighter than others with records.

See how the dice roll!

Rob :cheers:

Are you dead set on a Jeep?

Cause with a $20k budget, there are sooooo many great truck and SUV options out there.

Kinda. I was sort of liking the Ridgeline RTL also. Everyone has that friend in the group of friends that is the "Jeep Guy". I'm that guy. I feel like I'd be giving up my torch a bit if I pulled up in a Honda.

Rob

I've carried a solitary Jeep torch for the last 15 years.

However,

I am looking forward to trading our '06 WK in on a Toyota for my wife. Will either be a Land Cruiser, 4Runner or Highlander. I know it's not a WK2, but FCA is one in the same when it comes to recalls...

My father in law bought a new WK2 a few years back. He loves the vehicle, but constantly talks about how often it is at the dealer.

Welp. Had an interesting day. Decided to go down to the dealer and try a couple on for size. I wanted to find one that had about the same options as the auction one (basically none). I found a white '12 that had 33K on it. Options were right, so I went in to talk about driving it. We talked price, they wanted $28K for that one and change. He told me he had another '12, closer to my range (Told him $20K). It was a local trade, Laredo with 85K and just about every option. We took it out and I liked it a lot. Salesman was kinda dry, maybe more dry than I would like.

When we came back he pulled out the history. Bought new from that dealer, and serviced there all the way up to the last oil change. One owner. Has leather, navigation/dvd, subwoofer, heated seats, panaramic sunroof (the all glass one), keyless proximity fobs, towing package, automatic climate control... Pretty much all the good stuff. I got to thinking about that auction car, and how much I was going to have to spend on adding the things it didn't have... More miles, and this one being optioned like it is.The price was ok. They wouldn't budge much on the $21750 they had it listed for, but I beat them up a bit in financing and warranty. Threatened to walk a few times. All in all, ended up taking it home.

I appreciate the input fellas! Hopefully this one lives up to the hype!

1898258_915425175161637_4156776820284531

Rob :cheers:

I don't know that as of yet. I need to have an insider run the VIN. We were definitely last hour-ing it tonight. Signed the papers shortly after closing time on the 31st day of the month. Service dept was closed, and the salesman played naive when I asked about the Chrysler history. The Autocheck showed all dealer maintenance with them and the oil change reminder on the window backed it up.

I just wish it still had the original sticker with it! How hard is it to just fold it up and put it with the owners manuals!? People annoy me with vehicles.

Rob

I have to say it isn't "quick" by any means, but I would definitely call it adequate. Driving home from mom's house I averaged 23 MPG also. Even behind someone who couldn't pick a speed. The Uconnect is nice, and displays track info off streaming bluetooth, so that's very nice also. Impressed so far. I want to spend more time tomorrow in the daylight giving it the once over.

Rob

Found a back door for options lookup. Looks like the 3.09 stayed. The vitals:

Equipment Listing

VIN 1C4RJFAGXCC150722

Vehicle Description 2012 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LAREDO 4X4 SPORT UTILITY 4-DR

Monotone Paint

700 Amp Maintenance Free Battery

Rain Brake Support

Ready Alert Braking

Electronic Stability Control

Hill Start Assist

Four Wheel Traction Control

Trailer Sway Damping

Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes

Active Head Restraints

Rear 60/40 Folding Seat

Child Seat Upper Tether Anchorages

Supplemental Side Air Bags

Child Seat Anchor System-LATCH Ready

Advanced Multistage Front Air Bags

Center Rear 3-Point Seat Belt

Supplemental Frt Seat Side Air Bags

Floor Carpet

Cargo Tie Down Loops

Cargo Trim Panel w/Storage Net

Luxury Front/Rear Floor Mats w/Logo

Passenger Assist Handles

Base Door Trim Panel

STANDARD EQUIPMENT

Full Length Floor Console

Overhead Console

Illuminated Cupholders

Quadra-Trac I ® 4WD System

195MM Front Axle

3.09 Rear Axle Ratio

195MM Rear Axle

Conventional Differential Frt Axle

Conventional Differential Rear Axle

Acoustic Laminated Front Door Glass

Tinted Windshield Glass

Front Door Tinted Glass

Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass

Flipper Liftgate Glass

Rear Window Defroster

Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors

Power Heated Mirrors, Fold-Away

Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System

Hood Insulation

Premium Insulation Group

140 MPH Primary Speedometer

Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers

Rear Window Wiper/Washer

Dual Note Electric Horns

Auxiliary 12-Volt Rear Power Outlet

12V Auxiliary Power Outlet

Power Accessory Delay

Air Filtering

Power Locks

Pwr Front Windows, 1-Touch,Up & Down

Illuminated Entry

Vehicle Information Center

Glove Box Lamp

Front & Rear Interior LED Lamps

Interior Removable/Rechargeable Lamp

Halogen Headlamps

Automatic Headlamps

Fog Lamps

Enhanced Accident Response System

Bright Grille

Chrome Bodyside Molding

Sill Molding

Body Color Fascias

Bright Day Light Opening Moldings

Body Color Door Handles

Bright License Plate Brow

Jeep Badge

4X4 Badge

Integrated Liftgate Rear Spoiler

Laredo Badge

24.6 Gallon Fuel Tank

Speed Control

Standard Duty Engine Cooling

Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat

Removable Short Mast Antenna

Power Rack and Pinion Steering

Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel

Normal Duty Suspension

Tilt/Telescope Steering Column

Compact Spare Tire

Non Adjustable Pedals

Power Locking Fuel Filler Door

English/USA Language

Protective Coating and Remover

Headliner Parts Module

Seat Parts Module

Instrument Panel Parts Module

Door Parts Module

Front End Parts Module

Front Suspension Parts Module

Rear Suspension Parts Module

Tire & Wheel Parts Module

Front Suspension Damper Parts Module

Rear Suspension Damper Parts Module

Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

GVW Rating - 6500#

U.S. Dealer Retail

Zone 51-Chicago

Four Wheel Drive (4WD)/(4X4)

Left Hand Drive (LHD)

2012 Vehicle Specifications

WK/6042 Vehicle Family

Price Class H

Vehicle Order Tracking

U.S. Specifications Label

Illinois Ship to State Code

Carb. Code 03

Smog Code 06

Illinois Sold to State Code

Prem Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats

Black

Laredo E Group

180 Amp Alternator

Supp. Side Curtain Frt/Rr Air Bags

Cargo Compartment Cover

Leather Wrapped Shift Knob

All Automatic Transmissions

5-Speed Auto W5A580 Transmission

3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine

RR View Auto Dim Mirror w/Microphone

Dual-Pane Panoramic Sunroof

Remote Proximity Keyless Entry

Remote Keyless Entry

Keyless Enter-N-Go

Air Cond ATC w/Dual Zone Control

Premium Instrument Cluster w/Tach

115V Auxiliary Power Outlet

Garmin Navigation System

Heated Front Seats

Pwr Driver/Pass 4-Way Lumbar Adjust

Power 8-Way Driver/Passenger Seats

Body Color Exterior Mirrors

Security Alarm

Front License Plate Bracket

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT

Bright Side Roof Rails

50 State Emissions

Engine Oil Cooler

Exterior Mirrors w/Heating Element

Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat

9 Amplified Speakers w/Subwoofer

Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Ctrls

506 Watt Amplifier

6.5" Touchscreen Display

Radio 430N

SIRIUS Satellite Radio

SiriusXM Travel Link

Uconnect Voice Command w/Bluetooth

Audio Jack Input for Mobile Devices

Remote USB Port

P265/60R18 BSW AS On/Off Rd Tires

Michelin Brand Tires

Compact Spare Wheel

All Aluminum Wheels

18X8.0 Aluminum Wheels

ParkSense Rear Park Assist System

ParkView™ Rear Back-up Camera

Remote Start System

Tip Start

Universal Garage Door Opener

Tire Pressure Monitoring Display

Flex Fuel Vehicle

40GB Hard Drive w/28GB Available

Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering

For More Info, Call 888-539-7474

1-Yr. SiriusXM Radio Service

1-Yr. SiriusXM Travel Link Service

7.5 Additional Gallons of Gas

Spring - Left Front

Spring - Left Rear

Spring - Right Front

Spring - Right Rear

Customer Preferred Package 2TX

Customer Preferred Package 26X

Distribution Services Tracking

11/01/15

Ah well, the good thing is that with the 18" tires and the standard 3.09 axle you'll never know the difference unless you get another later with higher numerical gears to compare it to. It'll be fine. I was kind of satisfied with my similarly equipped tall geared 2012 JK. Seemed like a dog, my MJ blew it away off the line. So I got on the JK forums and did my reading. That's why I ordered the 2015 with 3.73's.

Does it have the towing package?

Thanks everyone for the comments. The UConnect is cool. Love the navigation and the 9 speaker stereo with the sub. Just enough to really make the sound quality better. Crazy though... The PO nor the dealer wiped it clean. I was driving home from the dealer and noticed a "House" icon pop up on the nav screen. Curiosity got the best of me so I punched it in. 5 minutes away, so I drove by. Big u-shaped ranch with 3 car garage on 2 acres in an affluent neighborhood. The rest of the "Recent destinations" are O'hare and Midway airport terminals in Chicago, places 250 miles away in WI... Those 85K miles were highway. The nav even shows the max reached speed (102) and the average moving speed (45). Tells me it did a lot of highway driving if the average was as high as 45 MPH. Crazy... Because I have the guys first name (from his voice naming the first phone entry), his home address, frequent stops which are most likely friends and family... All from a vehicle.

Got under it and did some inspecting today. Found everything in great shape, and brand new brakes and rotors on all 4 corners. The pads are still shiny black with Mopar PN's clearly visible. Yesterday I had the dealer repair a rock chip the GF found on the windshield Sunday, and picked up my slush mats today. The more and more I look at this thing, the more and more stupid clean it is. I couldn't find a door ding on it, only found a small dent in the above the passenger door, and a little rock chip by the Jeep emblem on the hood. Plans are to get a set of splash guards and roof rails and call it a job for now.

Other thing I realized was I never got you guys better pics!

12141757_916940328343455_737311388015017

12193569_916940498343438_419428106607158

12193754_916940548343433_188427574566308

12187732_916940565010098_475504451924191

11168456_916940581676763_527473617635421

12196199_916940595010095_751308460739534

12208550_916940611676760_917701121502019

12111974_916940631676758_703665565080646

12065928_916940648343423_173555909140703

12208695_916940668343421_182523276653861

12191480_916942458343242_319601593004626

12196340_916942468343241_609776631905150