Paint Scheme Choices

HOrnbrod

C all the live long day Don. Brings out the chrome, adds some eye candy to the belt line, breaks up all the lighter colors of the truck...

Just makes everything pop.

Don, I would seriously suggest some time with some of that Plasti-dip paint or the Duplicolor Custom wrap. I would try it out on the truck and if you don't like it, peel it off. We did the GF's fender flares on the TJ at the beginning of summer and it's held up great.

Rob

I don't think you should mess with perfection but, if you really wanted a two tone look, I'd go with something like this. (I don't photochop, I photobutcher)

Maybe someone else could provide a better chop with different colors. :cheers:

You can't figure out why that happens eh mate?  :yes:

LOL i mightent be the sharpest crayon in the box but i had a pretty good idea on who was doing what :yes: . But seriously mate IMHO the red dosnt gel with the silver real well, but your class rig  :bowdown:  does need something to break it up... a pin stripe or a more traditional jeep stripe :thumbsup:

There are certain "off-color" words that when typed in get automatically changed by the software. For instance type in a-s-s. But whoever figured out which words to change I have no idea. That's above my pay grade. I blame it on Pete and Alexia.   :rotfl2:

There are certain "off-color" words that when typed in get automatically changed by the software. For instance type in a-s-s. But whoever figured out which words to change I have no idea. That's above my pay grade. I blame it on Pete and Alexia.   :rotfl2:

Not me! Moderators come around and censor swear words I type out. :P

I like the red swooshes. Though, I have never seen it in person so maybe it looks different(better/worse) in real life.

When I bought my truck the paint was pretty roached out and I tried to bring it back to original. The factory decals of course were long unobtainium, so I had a shop repop some. Still looking for an original set. I've only seen one other MJ with these factory decals, so I guess I'll keep them. And yeah Alex, got to get up there one day and see all the good work you've done on your rig.  :cheers:

Not me! Moderators come around and censor swear words I type out. :P

it's me, all me (using the auto-correct software).  just trying to maintain a family-friendly and mildly PC atmosphere.  :thumbsup:

and I like the red swoosh. very 90s.  a bunch of years ago I almost bought a white MJ with that decal but it was in horrible shape.

So.. a little request here. I gave my truck the same treatment (I know, this is an oooooooooooooooooold picture) and I'm basically trying to make the same decision as Don was:

fQSmkkTl.jpg

Here's the original:

DSEpCxAl.jpg

At some point in time I'm going to be having my truck resprayed in the factory color but I'm still not sure if I should have the decal remade and put back on. I don't have a topper on it and I have black trim rather than chrome, so maybe I don't need something to break up all of the silver? Not sure what I should do. Despite how it may look, the paint on my truck is done. Almost all of the clear coat on the roof and top of the bed is gone, and there's a ton of smaller damage that you don't see in pictures.

Two reasons why I'm trying to decide this:

1. The SporTruck decal is super dated looking and almost tacky IMO. I like the fact that it's there, but I may not end up putting it back on if it comes off.

2. At this point, my truck isn't much of a SporTruck. It has a full gauge cluster, mud flaps, will soon have bucket seats, and a number of other factory options that I've added over the years. From the factory it was highly optioned for a SporTruck (4.0, A/C, AW4) and even more so now.

On the other hand, I don't want to turn this into another generic truck. The big black and red stripe down the side sets it apart. I don't want to completely erase its history either.

I'm a lot less crazy about the sportruck squiggle  :dunno:

That's my problem. We can almost all agree that the swoosh looks great on Don's truck but the squiggle on mine is... more polarizing. About 75% of people like it and about 25% hate it in my experience. I do kind of like the clean look it has with no squiggles.

Just for fun, here it is with Ravines (and the old tires. I should probably do this one again):

IzviAU9l.jpg

Looks great with the original Sportruck trim and Ravines.  :drool: :drool:

I'm for sure going to be putting Ravines on at some point. I've been looking for quite a while now and every time I come across a set without tires, they're either too far or I can't cough up enough. I love the wheels it has now, but the paint's coming off and I have a little feeling in the back of my head that one might be slightly bent.

Minuit if I was you I'd have the decal reproduced, it makes it unique and original. I like the zig zag SporTruck decals.

I'm leaning towards this. A friend of mine works at a graphics company and it really won't be terribly expensive to get them remade according to him.

When I had Ravines on my 2WD, I used chrome dust caps on the front wheels to cover the hub sticking through the wheel center hole. It looks like you are using something different and looks the same on all four wheels? 

Just to be clear: the Ravine pic is photoshopped. My truck has had the wheels on it now since I've had it. I've wanted to put Ravines on it almost as long as I've had it.

I can't tell your photoshopped creations from the real thing.   :dunno:

:D

The only non-photoshopped pic I've posted is the one with the squiggles still in place from last page. That came from the very beginning of my build thread. I'll do something to mark the doctored pics from the real ones next time.

• 1 month later...