thoughts on a "new" engine...

Pete M

It's been brought to my attention that there is a stroker 4.0L for sale in my area. Yesterday I drove over to meet the guy and check it out. The XJ it's in is definitely a wheeler, or at least it was. The frame broke apart and the guy has decided to just part the whole thing out and focus on his ZJ and YJ instead. So there I was, staring at the engine bay and listening to the engine purr, and I realize there are few options for actually proving that this engine is what he says it is. He says it was built by a company out in California and was installed by a local shop. He knows nothing about the internals used, and very little about what was done to make the stroker work in the Jeep. Details just don't seem to be his strong point. :roll: But the paperwork should tell me all I want to know, right? Unfortunately, he left the paperwork back at his house (the XJ is at a relative's place). Great.: wall: That's like a 1.5 hour round trip or something and so we left it at that and now I'm waiting on him to scan the stuff and email it to me.

So anyway, I'm assuming that the paperwork should include some sort of casting number or other identification that tells me that this particular engine isn't just some run of the mill 4.0 and is what he says it is? I'd be wiling to trust the guy if I was buying a gauge cluster, but this is a significant purchase and he's not even all that knowledgeable about it. Until I see the papers, I'd have to trust him, the installation shop and the builder all blindly. Any ideas or thoughts about tracking down info and such? What would y'all do? :dunno: The last engine I bought (stock 4.0) was still in a drivable Jeep and cost less than half what he's asking. The fact that it idled great and had decent pickup (and I essentially got a free MJ in the process) was enough to seal that deal. This time I want to make sure I'm getting the real deal. comanche.gif

Any time I'm in that situation i always try and size up the individual . take a look around his place / does he do his own wrenching and if so how much / does he look, act, seem like the kinda person that would buy a stroker fer their rig and not know the compression ratio or wether it had flat top pistons or a dish piston does he have alota money to throw around , everything adds up .

second look at the engine , pop the erl cap and look inside fer any sludg and specialy at the internal castings . typicaly when an engin is stroked it also gets an extensive amount of grinding filing and chamfering which should be noticeable from the fill cap. maby pop off the valve cover and look around or do a compression check and compair numbers to the manufactures. just a thought er two

and rember what ever happens in the end U KNOW WHERE HE LIVES :hate banana:

LIke said size the guy up... a stroker goes for 2500 and up, and then to have it installed :eek:. Short of pulling the head there is no way to tell. Most ppl I have heard of installing strokers have had to do custom fuel things like bigger injectors and such.

As for the guy not being knowledgeable... that screams run to me. If the guy was a wheeler... he would know what he had, just because our sport is a braggers sport. It all about who has the biggest nads and such :brows: Even if you don't brag.. if someone asks what you got.. you are more then happy to tell them about all the gizmo's and custom tricks you have done :brows:

Well, he was knowledgeable about 2 things, the total cost and the power output (the builder supposedly dynoed it). :D I don't remember the exact numbers he mentioned, but it was something over $3000 spent and an incredible amount of horses (240 maybe? I really wish my memory worked better). I'm hoping the paperwork will enlighten me and put my mind more at ease. I figure I need 2 things; the phone number for the builder and some sort of ID number for the block. That way I can call the builder and verify that they did in fact build something for this guy and then I can verify that this block is in fact the block they built.

The stroker uses the AMC 258 (4.2L) crankshaft. You should be able to verify that it's a stroker by probing through any spark plug hole and measuring the top-to-bottom travel, then comparing against a stock 4.0L. You won't get an accurate number, but you will be able to see if it's the same as your 4.0L or greater.

I am concerned about the "California" part. The only company I know of in California that's selling stroker Jeep engines is Clifford Performance Research. Back when I was your age and my friends were running Hudson-powered stock cars, Jack Clifford was THE go-to guy for speed parts, and he then went on to offer some fantastic stuff for the AMC engines.

But -- Jack was an older guy when I was a younger guy. He sold the business a number of years ago and has since passed away, and I have heard some absolutely horrendous stories on the old Strokers forum about what has come out of that shop under the guise of "professionally-built" strokers, for really big bucks.

If the paperwork says Clifford -- I would seriously consider walking away regardless of how attractive the price might seem.

Well, it's days later and the guy still hasn't emailed me anything. :headpop: But I found another stroker for sale. About the same asking price, but this one is based on a H.O. engine. The first one comes with just about everything in the engine bay and the second is just a block and head.

Don't know what to do, but at least I have choices. :D I've got until June 29th to do something. That's when my parents leave on their trip and that's when I plan to move the 88 into the garage to swap axles and a block (whether a stroker or the stock 4.0 in the garage).

So you're set on the I-6, though? No interest in a SBC or 4.3L V-6?

I only bring it up because of how inexpensive it is to get ahold of those motors and how simple the SBC is. I know the Renix system is pretty basic, but not nearly as much as a carbed 350.

My wheelers are on a strict no-carb diet. :D

Beyond that, a stroker makes excellent power (250-300 ponies) while retaining just about everything that's currently on my 88. No expensive adapters to my AX-15, no expensive motor mounts, no custom exhaust, no custom anything. It bolts right in. It'll even retain the A/C (if I ever decide to track down that leak). I already have a donor 4.0 and a 258 but I need simplicity in this project or it'll never be finished and that's why I'm contemplating buying rather than building.

I want to use the Renix stuff. :brows: It's simple, reliable, I already know it, and I have a ton of spares. Problem is the knock sensor (or lack-there-of) if I go with the later block. :(

I want to use the Renix stuff. :brows: It's simple, reliable, I already know it, and I have a ton of spares. Problem is the knock sensor (or lack-there-of) if I go with the later block. :(

I'm glad to hear that someone else feels this way! I specifically sought out a rig with the RENIX system, as when the fit hits the shan down in Baja, I want at least a fighting chance to be able to figure out what's wrong, and to cobble together a shade tree solution.

Now if I could only find any shade trees down in Baja, I'd be a happy man! :D

BTW are there any guides on how to do a stroker? I'm thinking of picking up a spare motor and doing the build up, while my 300K motor dies a slow death.

Pete just a quick look at the distributor will tell you if this a stroker most jamminz.gif have the retaining lobs cut off so that the timing can be properly adjusted also may get another hint from the type of injectors used to power the beast i have the 5.2l injectors from a GC. in my stroker kit which is a 4.6l from AP which is no longer. not sure what happen with them and i am very happy with it. :cheers: hope this helps