Removing oil pan with transmission out?

Hello friends! So the internal bearings went on my BA10/5 (89 MJ) - I pulled it yesterday and I'm waiting for the phone call on the damage. Yes, I'd love to swap it for an AX15 but I'm not sure if it's financially feasible at the moment. We'll see when he comes back with the estimate, if the difference is a few hundred dollars then, maybe.

Anyway, my oil pan is leaking and all I read is nightmare stories about getting it out. After looking at it, my Dad seems to think that it would be easier to get the oil pan out with the transmission+backplate+flywheel pulled. Is this a possibility? I would just go for it, but it's my DD and I'm in a bit of a time crunch (another reason I'm hesitant to attempt an AX15 swap). Last thing I want is to break the seal and not be able to get the pan out. 

Jess

I would start looking for that AX-15. :thumbsup:  bad peugeots have been known to go bad again rather quickly after their rebuilds. :(  the case is very weak and if it deforms even just a bit, it'll never be as-new again.

car-part.com might be of help in junkyard searches.  the site organizes parts by part number, so be sure to search for the various years of XJ and YJ and TJ.  oh and try to get the t-case attached if yours is 4wd. 

Yes as your Dad said.

BA10/5 is a light tranny. If your just doing light stuff it will last forever. I here stories of how bad it is. yes if your going to tow or off road with it, it not going to last. I have one that still good that has 350k on it. It is good for high way driving. but a AX15 would last longer and you can abuse it more!

Coming from someone who just did a rear main seal job with everything in place, it would be much easier to get the oil pan off without the transmission in the way.

I agree with Pete. Now's your chance to do an AX-15 swap. If you stick with the BA-10 and it fails again 10,000 miles down the road you would have wished you would have done the swap now. You're already halfway done with an upgrade, why stop now? Grabbing a good condition AX-15 (from the junkyard if possible) should cost less than rebuilding the BA-10. Even if the hypothetical junkyard AX-15 needs a rebuild, you'll still be better off. I'm sure parts for the AX-15 are much cheaper and easier to find than parts for the puke-box.

Yes as your Dad said.

BA10/5 is a light tranny. If your just doing light stuff it will last forever. I here stories of how bad it is. yes if your going to tow or off road with it, it not going to last. I have one that still good that has 350k on it. It is good for high way driving. but a AX15 would last longer and you can abuse it more!

yes but those are true stories.  and there are lots of them.  mine blew up while just tooling along in rush hour traffic.  2wd with monstrous 30" tires.  some last, some don't.  I might be inclined to leave one in a truck if it still worked ok, but I would NEVER spend a dime on a peugeot beyond new gear oil. 

I give the same advice to people who have a dana 35.  invest your money into something that will last. :thumbsup:

Hey thanks guys for the info on the oil pan - I'll probably get to that tomorrow. 

As for the AX15, you guys may have convinced me. I'll see for sure when this guy gets back to me. In the meantime, I know there is a lot of guides on doing the swap but does anyone have a recommendation for a particular guide? 

Sorry, back on topic sec... I just realized I have the engine jacked/blocked up via the oil pan for support since the transmission is out. Where do I support the engine since I obviously can't take the pan off with a jack under it :P

I removed my pan on my Cherokee a while back, used a cherry picker to keep the engine up.  You need to remove the motor mount to lift the engine up enough to get the pan to clear the front diff.  If you have a 2wd you may be able to clear without removing the mounts.  With the trans removed the engine is not supported so you will need to use a cherry picker.  It's not that fun, but I got it done.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies & info guys, appreciate it!

So I took all your advice and found an AX15+NP231J out of a 91XJ with 150k miles for $700. Considering the minimum I was going to be able to get my BA10/5 repaired (not even a full rebuild) was $850 and it has 300k on it, figured it was probably worth it. I know, probably should have went for a 94+ version but, this is what I could find. I placed a large order for parts (ax15 mount/new clutch kit/oil pan+valve cover gasket/rear main seal/oil pump/some other crap) so it's been a lot of waiting. 

Indeed, the oil pan slipped right out once I was able to pry the concrete-like gasket apart. Replaced rear main seal & the oil pump, slapped some red paint on the oil pan got it back together yesterday. Hopefully it won't leak like a sieve when I'm able to start it up in a couple days.

Mount comes Monday and clutch kit comes Tuesday and hopefully I can get this thing mounted and see if it even works lol.

Make VERY sure you replace the slave cylinder (and with a quality part) on the AX-15 before you install it. If it dies on you later on you'll have to remove the trans again to replace it. Just making sure - you did/will prime the new oil pump, correct?

Yeah, new slave came with the clutch kit and based on research here I went with a Luk kit. I filled the oil pump with oil before installing it, tho I think half of it spilled on my head while trying to get it reinstalled. But yeah, I'll prime it.