where to get lifts from?

You might remember my request for good ideas on a 6.5" lift kit before and that I didn't want to go SOA because of my insurance not being willing to insure the vehicle.

well..they'll insure it now. So I'd like to know where I can get a GOOD front lift of 6.5" with fully adjustable UCA's, LCA's, and track bar that comes with new shocks and new front brake lines.

the rear I'll take care of...so if I have to buy an AAL equipped lift, I can toss all the rear components. my biggest thing is that it's all adjustable and comes with shocks...I can mess with brake lines if need be.

ideas?

this is the 89 we're talking about. it IS gonna be wheeled hard.

the 3800 will be staying almost exactly as it is for the rest of it's life...maybe a brushguard and another couple inches of lift and an 8.8 rear end and such, but it's never gonna be wheeled.

plus that kit doesn't meet the specs. of fully adjustable...

hmm...I've been wanting RE but they don't seem to have anything but the 5.5" kit for the MJ on that site, and it's a drop-bracket kit which sucks.

I'm looking at a lift that's under $1200, especially since I'm NOT using any of the rear suspension components...I have chryco perches for the 44 already I payed $250 for the tires i'm going to be using (not ideal tires, but practically new), rims were free from another MJ i had back in the day, and I'm looking at a Rough Country lift kit right now because they actually come with what i'm looking for for $1050. i know i know, RC "sucks" but i've had nothing but luck with them...

thanks for ideas, keep 'em coming!

yeah, keep shortys...I'm not ready to mess with longarms yet. piecing together is actually more money unless it's used parts...and when buying used parts from someone I don't know, i'm leary because it doesnt' come with a warranty.

another thing I don't want in this kit is any sort of coil spacers...6.5" springs are what I'm looking at.

lookin like 89eliminator's Rusty's system is pretty good right now...

the RE kit is actually 5.5" springs and .75" spacers so that'd be a 6.25" kit

for the price i've not been able to beat it...

i pieced together all kinds of parts from different manufacturers, even omitted some items, and got some used prices... and still ended up at like 1300 for the RE kit, and thats without things like the t-case drop and coilspacers. :eek:

you really can't beat the price for what you get there

buut it doesnt come with shocks

weeeellll i'm already taking out a $3000 loan to pay for all this...it's a great way to build credit and not be tempted to buy more that I don't have.

take $1150 from that and that's what I have left to use on the truck really..

but there are other things that I wish to buy. all jeep-related.

Here's my .02's. When I was shopping for the lift kit for the TJ, I did a lot of researching on all the forums, magazines, and what not. In the end it seemed like the general consences was to go RE. I could have bought cheaper but I think the quality out weighed that. I also tried piecing one together but by the time you got what you wanted, it came out just the same if not more for the price. I went with the 4.5 super flex kit and swapped the springs for the 3.5's. In the end they really netted me more like 4 inches if not a little more. With 33's and the lift I got easly over 5 inches if not 6. I have people come up to me all the time asking if it has a 6 inch lift. From talking with others RE coils always give you more then they say they are. Overall I'm very happy with RE and since mine is more of a DD, it is great on the road. At the time I purchased it, this was the cheapest place I found on the net.

http://www.redrock4x4.com/

You may find the kit cheaper by a few bucks, but the free shipping is what made them lower than others. Plus I'm sure if you contact them, they will put together a kit for the mj. :cheers:

well you can go with Rustys and get 6.5in coils for $150, adj lowers for $170, adj uppers for $170, shocks for $120, track bar for $130 and lower the mount on the brake lines. thats $740 plus shipping. not bad for being fully adjustable and 6.5inches

yeah, keep shortys...I'm not ready to mess with longarms yet. piecing together is actually more money unless it's used parts...and when buying used parts from someone I don't know, i'm leary because it doesnt' come with a warranty.

another thing I don't want in this kit is any sort of coil spacers...6.5" springs are what I'm looking at.

lookin like 89eliminator's Rusty's system is pretty good right now...

You may want to consider a long arm system. TNT or Rustys is bolt on. I am looking to go with the TNT unit.

Here is what I did. I bought used but fairly new RE 3.5" springs, JKS ACO's (can go cheaper with just some spacers if needed). My experiance with RE is the 3.5 actually give a bit over 4" lift, I will fine tune with the ACO's to level the truck with my SOA. I will buy a new Track bar, more than likely a JKS or the upgraded unit Kevins is offering. Use the TNT Longarm upgrade kit (so far best price I found is 875 for that). That should keep within the budget you mentioned. Rustys is a bit cheaper, but doesnt offer the beefy Tcase skid in there price, TNT has that included.

Short arms and that tall a lift ride like total crap, also that high tends to add in a few handling quirks.

Another upgrade you may want to consider, get a ZJ steering set up, from the pitman arm to the tierods (take the whole unit). The pitman will drop your steering down an inch, helping the angle as well as beef up the components, ZJ's use thicker bars. Hope that helps you with some ideas, any questions just ask. :cheers:

And for brake lines, get YJ lines of the same year from napa, cheaper and much longer as well as a direct fit including the mounting area.

Will the rear brake line work as well?

And in the rear get a mid 1990s Dodge Dakota rear line. At 6.5" I still have PLENTY of room left.

how much do those lines cost?

the YJ ones AND the dakota one?

Have to call Napa for a price, I don't remember off hand. I do know they are much cheaper than aftermarket, plus a direct fit, no fab. Plus, the rubber is better than the stainless steel lines. I know this is a fact, I just can't remember exactly why, maybe someone can help my old memory out. :cheers:

8) I have the 8" Skyjacker on mine ,don t know if they still make it but the one thing I can tell you is I crawl just about over everything with 35" tires!

It is pricey but complete! incl shocks/brake lines/drive shafts/front center support over the axle/new coils. So like always you get what you pay for .RE is a good product no doubt about it.Just my 2C ;)