Project MJVI

Gave her a face today...97+ front with brand new fenders..hood was a PITA to get it to line up took almost half my day ended up breaking one of the hood bolts in the process but i got it eventually...starting to have some character :rock on:

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I didn't even know they made replacement cowl panels for comanches. Secondly, I've never seen rust that bad in the cowl of an MJ. That takes guts to do especially for a novice! Good work! Keep on keepin' on! I'll be following this...

First off, I didn't even know they made replacement cowl panels for comanches. Secondly, I've never seen rust that bad in the cowl of an MJ. That takes guts to do especially for a novice! Good work! Keep on keepin' on! I'll be following this...

Yup apparently the windshield adhesive failed over time and water was coming in through the bottom around the cowl area the previous owner didnt care much about the truck so he just through some fiberglass over it to try to seal it but that obviously didnt work looked like the rust was about to take out the whole firewall.. anyway thanks for checking out my build its no wonder its been said time and time again that u guys are the nicest bunch of guys out there..no doubt..really appreciate the support means alot...Thanks jeep690

Had bought some white gauge faces sometime ago from whitegauges.net so had some free time and since the cluster was out already decided to install them along with some leds...stole some of my wife's nail polish and also painted the needles red more visible with the white face instead of everything being white.. dummy guages don't look too bad now..also noticed the new gauge faces didnt come with the cut out for shifter display on the large fuel gauge side so after i stuck the face on took a razor blade and cut it out..

BEFORE..

IMG_0268.jpg

After...

IMG_0271.jpg

Night View...

IMG_0273.jpg

First off, I didn't even know they made replacement cowl panels for comanches.

Ah man he must have ordered the Cherokee version  :rotf:

Actually ordered using the mopar part number from a comanche parts catalog but the part is the same as cherokee also fits wagoneer

Came around to installing a Hayden trans oil cooler.. wasnt plug and play had to do slight modification cause i'm guessing the fittings it came with fit a 97+ cherokee where the feed line is on the bottom of the radiator and the return line going to the back of the tranny is at the top..Whereas with my 89 the lines are reversed the feed line goes to the top of the rad and the return line is at the bottom..

File_000.jpg

File_000_1.jpg

File_001.jpg

Look what the cat dragged in :brows:

picked up this lady driven 2000 xj with only 58k on the clock before she was hit from the back missing some dash components tach steering wheel driver seat already sold and a few engine components but besides that engine, transmission, entire drive train in tact entire front to rear doors body looks in mint condition plus a chrysler 8.25 29 spline in the back and the best part about it is i only paid $275 for everything :rotf: $200 for the jeep and $75 for the wrecking service..atleast my manche will have a new friend..I think i made a good deal today... what do you think ??

File_000_4.jpg

File_000_5.jpg

File_001_2.jpg

File_004_1.jpg

File_003_2.jpg

File_008.jpg

File_001_3.jpg

Wow! Outstanding work on the rust and that engine...

That is a deal...you might be able to part it out to get your money back...unless you plan to stash a lot of parts...

Was it an auto or manual trans?

Thanks 88whitemanche Its auto trans..i have no doubt i would be able to get my money back but think i might just stash parts...lol

• 1 month later...

dashboard back in... also water temp and trans temp gauges mounted...got my ipad in there as well testing out my inclinometer.. still able to access climate controls and head unit beneath ipad very happy with how it turned out..

20160426_172430.jpg

20160426_151053.jpg

20160426_150910.jpg

20160426_150928.jpg

20160426_151758.jpg

• 1 month later...

Fuel pump died after i hadnt start truck in a couple weeks had plan on changing it anyway as the fuel gauge never worked since i bought the truck so plan was to change pump and sending unit anyway so did a little research and came across the delphi 10148 from auto zone theres a thread on it here somewhere so decided to go with that but so happened when i got it.. it was different than what i had in my tank..PO told me that the fuel tank had been changed not too long before i bought the truck so i don't know the if the tank i had was exact replacement.. seemed to be..think is an 18gl tank anyway still decided to try to force the pump in there got it to sit in there putt the locking ring in place then tried to start but couldnt hear the pump prime and wouldnt start so started checking connections couldnt find any power going to the pump started noticing all types of electrical problems i was getting ground going to positives on relays and fuses never imagined the new pump would have been the cause might have been grounding or something inside the tank being that it didnt fit properly had to wiggle it a bit to mak it stay as soon as i pulled out the pump everything was back to normal so was thinking it was time to start searching for another pump or try to make this one work i could change the pump itself to the old sending unit no problem but the old sending unit needed changing because it didnt work so before i went to buy anything i decided to mess around with it and here's what i came up with...

Old and new pump arms on old are much longer than new..

20160525_092544.jpg

Took the new pump out and put it on the old sending unit

20160527_105539.jpg

And now for the old sending unit i cut it off from the assembly..

20160526_153329.jpg

Cut off the new One as well..

20160527_105526.jpg

Then i welded on the new sending unit to the old assembly.. the floater arm on the old one had looked about level with the fuel filter at the bottom of the pump so in order for the new shorter floater to be at about the same position with the old one i welded the new one beneath the mounting location where the old one was..

20160526_155455.jpg

So i put the pump back in the tank and was happy to hear the truck running again but then i took a look at the gauge and noticed it was reading reversed :doh:

Knew i would have to be taking the pump out again hate to be under there and having gas spilling all over you... anyhow i took it out again and tried swapping the wires on the sending unit to reverse the polarity to see if it would read correctly..but still didnt fix it so will just have to get use to reading the gauge in reverse E= everythings good F= find nearest gas station :yes:

• 1 month later...

Sweet! Could you show more pics of your brake line set up?

The brake line setup was pretty straight forward i just swapped in the xj prop valve i left all the lines in the same location as on the mj valve minus the line in the nose which is rear brake line so now with the xj valve setup the port for rear brake line is now feeding the height sensing valve so you just disconnect that line from the height sensing valve and screw it on to main feed line going to the rear wheels and youre set..

20160724_153828.jpg

20160724_153646.jpg