Replacing the clutch

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered 175$ worth of parts from Partsgeek! Flywheel and clutch kit is on the way. The clutch change has officially become real! And I came to a realization when I walked out the door today... My next door neighbor has a massive concrete floored and enclosed garage and I do the guy favors quite often. He might let me use it for a weekend! Lets hope so!

Soak the heck out of them for a few days.  You should be able to just take those two flange/socket bolts off the lower manifold to the exhaust.  When it comes time to remove them, if you can get a MAP or propane torch up there and heat the heck out of them, then use an impact gun (if you have one) and that should prevent breaking them.  Otherwise, soak em, heat em, and use a wrench and as long as you are careful you should be ok.

Added brake cleaner to the list! Why should I drench them, though? And are these bolts the right flywheel bolt size? I was comparing them to the ARP and the ArP said the length was .890" while these say they're 1". I read somewhere they work but I'm not 100% sure on it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=AJuCVee9KYP2-QGe9IzIBg&url=http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MRG0/914.oap%3Fyear%3D1991%26make%3DPontiac%26model%3DFirebird%26vi%3D1251762%26pt%3D2272P%26ppt%3DC0362&ved=0CDEQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNFSc-nD3poAaUzUs9QbPPlVhd2Rlg

Added brake cleaner to the list! Why should I drench them, though? And are these bolts the right flywheel bolt size? I was comparing them to the ARP and the ArP said the length was .890" while these say they're 1". I read somewhere they work but I'm not 100% sure on it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=AJuCVee9KYP2-QGe9IzIBg&url=http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MRG0/914.oap%3Fyear%3D1991%26make%3DPontiac%26model%3DFirebird%26vi%3D1251762%26pt%3D2272P%26ppt%3DC0362&ved=0CDEQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNFSc-nD3poAaUzUs9QbPPlVhd2Rlg

MrGasket is bottom of the barrel quality.......that said, they should be fine.

I have no idea why you are hung up on the bolt though?

The fly wheel bolts are taking shear, not necessarily clamping forces.

Unless they are damaged, the original bolts will be fine.

I'll take your word for it, then. Saves me 20-30$. I've hears mixed opinions of whether or not to change the bolts but I will check them when I remove it just to be sure. The only reason I went ahead and ordered the flywheel is because while I've got the tranny out I figured I would just go ahead and change it.

The brake cleaner is to remove the oil coated on said parts to prevent them from corroding while they sit on the shelf.  It helps give you a good oil free clean surface for the clutch disk to help break in and seat on.   Pretty much the same reason you use brake parts cleaner on your rotors.

I understand that now, then. Upon adding the first coat of PB blaster to all the bolts, I have gotten a few more questions. 1, only the axle side of my driveshafts have the four bolts on them to disconnect them. Do they just slide out of the transfer case? And 2, should I put the jackstands underneath the frame rails or the axles to get the truck up some? The obvious choice is the frame rails, I know. But with jackstands under it I fear how little wiggle room I'm going to have under there lol. And lastly how do the transmission and transfer case breather lines connect? Do I just pull them off and then slip them back on when I'm done?

You can put the jack stands under the axles. They will not be in the way for dropping the trans.

The shafts will slide right out of the tcase. 

The breather lines just pull off, unless someone put a clamp on it.

I'm figuring once I get started on it it will just flow steady and won't be nearly as bad as I'm expecting. Are the transmission mounts the same for all transmissions on the MJ? Going to go ahead and change it while I have the crossmember off the transmission.

I always have this fear of the truck falling off the jackstands for some reason, never happened though. Anyway my truck has a 4 1/2 inch lift. I use 4 pcs of 4x12 lumber , one under each wheel and have plenty of roll around room. Done this more than once.

I have the EXACT same fear. Which is why I will probably not only have 2 jackstands under each axle but will also stack wood up so if by some crazy farfetched chance the jackstands fail, the wood will catch it. But I will still have the tires on... so at least the entire truck wouldn't fall straight to the ground.

My fear is because I was working on my moms FWD Sentra and I forgot that it didn't have the engine keeping the rear tires held with the shifter in "park" so I was jacking it up and right as I went to put a stand under it the tires rolled and about got my arm. Needless to say, I double check EVERY thing now. But back on topic, no one know if the tranny mounts are all the same? Rockauto has the same ones in both the manual and auto transmission sections, so I'm pretty sure they are. Just wanted to double check!

Already pulled the driveshafts, tailpipe, and T-case skid. When i pulled the rear driveshaft the tcase start dribbling fluid and I'm sure it will dribble more when I start jacking the truck up. What type of fluid should I grab to just top off the Tcase when I get done with the clutch? Planned to change the fluid in it and the tranny soon, anyways. Would now be a good time? And I'm guessing it would be a good idea to grease all of these driveshaft grease fittings while I've got them easily accessible? Thanks!

Fluid coming out of the tcase is normal.  Don't worry.

You should drain the fluids from both the trans and tcase before dropping them.  This will "lighten" the loan and reduce the chance of spills.

The NP231 takes ATF.  I don't the quantity, though.

Any maintenance you can perform "while I have it off" is a good idea.

The NP231 supposedly takes about 2 quarts.  I have never been able to get more than about 1.5 into mine before it starts flowing out of the fill hole.  

As for the trans mount question you had.  It may be possible to use the AX mounts, but the BA10/5 mount is so much different from the AX in the way it bolts up that you would probably be in for some time consuming fabrication, and even then it may not work.  If the mount isn't bad on the transmission, then I would just leave it be.