Replacing the clutch

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a brand new flywheel because I figured mine was burnt. And I was on my way to get the puller when you posted that... but then i get it home and it doesnt even fit in the pilot bearing. Anyone know why?

I'm sorry, I assumed the hole for the pilot bearing was in the fly wheel.

Fill the hole with grease. Find a bolt that just barely fits the hole. Give is a light whack with a hammer and the grease will force the bearing out.

Pilot bearing is in the crank.  It's a 2 piece unit that will be in there good.  I used a puller that I got from Harbor Freight and a bit of penetrating fluid.  It took me over 30 minutes, one blood blister, and two very numb from impact hands before the inner part of that 2 piece pilot bearing came out....(it's not supposed to lol).  I used a larger puller end and got the outer to come out though.

Now the grease and bolt is one of a few methods for hydraulic removal and can be very effective.   Another famous one is wet toilet paper lol.

I just went through this whole exercise with my 92 last week.  I used the grease trick to force the pilot bearing out and it worked well.  Messy, but effective.  It was only after I was done cleaning up the mess that I realized I had purchased a cheap slide hammer kit from Horrible Freight several years ago that would have done the trick without the mess (http://www.harborfreight.com/15-piece-slide-hammer-and-puller-set-5469.html).  I really need to go through and do an inventory on my tools...

As for the fluid I used Pennzoil Synchromesh.  While many have used regular 10W30 motor oil and say they have had no problems, I would recommend against it.  I used 10W30 on my 91YJ with an AX15 and the transmission got noticeably worse as time went on.  Pennzoil Synchromesh states that their manual transmission fluid is safe for yellow metals with an API GL-3 performance rating.

The inside ring of the pilot bearing is still intact. But the bearings inside the ring have all fell out. What is actually behind the pilot bearing? Because I tried to break the middle part loose and the little bearings flew everywhere. Some fell behind the pilot bearing. Just hope they won't mess up the engine, ya know?

And when breaking the flywheel bolts and retightening them I was going to have someone with a wrench on the crankshaft bolt in the front of the engine to keep it from spinning. WhTs the chances of this breaking the crankshaft bolt loose instead of the flywheel bolts?

Mods if you could please delete all of those replies above other than the first one, I would appreciate it. My phone messed up and posted multiple times and then I replied with a shorter version because at first it said it couldnt post the first version. Thanks

I tried the bread method (same as grease. Thought it would work better cause bread is thicker) and I could NOT get that sucker out... I got a bolt that I thought was tight enough (literally could not find anything bigger that wasnt to big.) And the bread still forced itself out instead of the pilot bearing coming out.. I wish that the pilot bearing wasnt still intact. Then I could just use the puller I rented.

Its a 2 jaw slide hammer adapter one. And the only reason its not working is cause its to big to fit it, I have it fully collapsed and it won't fit through the pilot hole. If the inner ring of the pilot bearing wasnt still there then it would work.

try a different one. :thumbsup:   the first one I tried didn't work, but I got a 3 jaw one that did the trick.  don't ask me where I got it from, it was a decade ago. :(  I'd guess autozone, but that might be where I got the one that didn't work.

I'm going to try using just one jaw and fitting something beside it to keep it in. Or I'm going to file down a small section of the inside of the pilot bearing so I can fit it in and use both. I would prefer to not grind down a loaner tool just because. I hate having to drive to town again to get another tool. I live 25 minutes from any parts store!

Slave is installed. I pushed the retaining lockwasher on as far as I could. But the slave is still really wobbly on the shaft. Like it leans downward and lays on the shaft. Is this normal?

Yea the slave isn't a tight fit. The retaining lockwasher is there just to keep the slave from moving all around when you reinstall the transmission. I installed a slave cylinder from a LuK clutch kit and it was the same way. Have about 100 miles on the truck since the install and no issues to speak of.

Luk is what I got. And also flywheel is in with Permatex blue on the bolts torqued to about 107 ft pounds (factory calls for 105 but I added a little bit on top for good measures,) now about to throw the pilot bearing in! Also my rear main is DEFINITELY the cause of my oil leak. Next project! Oh and just so yall know, flywheels hurt when they fall and land on your pinky finger!

The clutch is in! Got the bolts torqued to 40 FT pounds. I did not use loctite, is that okay? And secondly before I put the transmission in... my pressure plate did not sit flush until I got the bolts all the way tightened. Is this normal? Don't want to have to pull the transmission again, so a quick reply would be very nice! It wasn't hard to tighten down at all. Until the last pull for the 40 pound mark. Just struck me odd that the plate didnt sit flush at first.