New parking brake fix?

• 2 years later...

Hey gang

I know this thread is old and all, but I wanted to chime in and endorse this method. It's not a permanent fix- but it certainly restored functionality to my tired, sloppy parking brake.

The kick panel was removed and I was able to swap the pawl spring out easily with a medium size needle nose. A magnet stick and paper towel (for blocking crevasses) were helpful. Access was easy in my '91. I don't recall my Renix MJ being as accommodating when I tackled it.

At first I cut the factory spring to make it tighter. That kinda worked, but the pedal was still not holding 100% of the time. I bought a much firmer spring from the hardware store that seems to be holding solid (4 days in so far). 

I still need to rebuild this assembly, so I'm careful to pull the release handle when depressing the pedal so the teeth don't get buggered by the extra tension on the pawl.

I like A-man930's rebuild method: http://comancheclub.com/topic/48483-parking-brake-pedal-refurb/

Keep Jeepin'!  . :MJ 1: .

vuVNLic.jpg

Cruiser,

I just discovered this thread.  Unfortunately you pictures have been "affected" by PhotoBucket ransom demands.

IF you have a new photo host - can you please fix the pictures in this thread?

Thanks for documenting this fix.

It still works great after a year and a half with regular usage.  If the teeth on the pawl are shot and/or the pedal is loose on its pivot then this is really your only choice.  The spring replacement/upgrade is obviously easier if yours isn't too far gone yet.