Snapping Turtle

Rokhound

Any one every eat one. My grandparents cooked them for use when I was little. So the other day I was driving along and there was one walking across the road so I thought what the he!! I am game for some turtle. This is the first one I every cooked so I will let you guys no how this turns out.

My friend think I am some kind of back woods hillbilly or something like that. I even invited them over for supper and they told me that they already had plans. :roll:

they good eatin?

Just got him out of the oven waiting on mashed potatoes and gravy. But yeah there is suppose to be 7 different flavor in the meat and so far I kinda like it different but good.

whoa.. I mowed down a good 20 pound snapper with the MJ wheelin' today.

My girlfriend and I toss turtles in the back of the MJ when we see them while wheelin'. We'll get about 25 turtles a trip and we stick them in the pond out back jamminz.gif

they taste good, so do squirrels.

Finally some one agrees with me. What is the best way to cook them I fixed mine like chicken?

Fried it for about half an hour to get the outside nice and crispy and then put it in the oven for about an hour. Is there a better way???

I am glad to see I am not alone in this

I saved a little wood turtle from the tractor and harrow yesterday. I felt bad for the little critter, so I moved him away.

I also saved a little toad. I love little amphibians. I had a pet toad named Lily once.

turtles are good! so are squirrels, rabbits, & frog legs!! jamminz.gif

Well having been born and raised in tenn I’ve killed and ate every one of those many times. My mom use to cringe every time I brought home another snapping turtle for supper.

But now after living in the southwest for so many years I think I’ve had my fill of those critters so if I want something different I just eat the rocky mtn oysters. tipshades.gif

Diving into to work today, I thought about this post. I almost hit a woman, with the car, when she darted out into traffic to save the Snapping turtle that looked just like the one CW posted a pic of. I guess, the turtles life was worth more then hers? It was funny watching "Snappy" pop of one of her fingers in rear view mirror :brows: Got to love a woman with 9 digits

I'd just as soon put my boot into a snapping turtle than try and pick it up.

safer for everyone to just punt them.

mean bastards. I've sen a decent pond snapper around here break a 1" branch in two with ease.

One summer I watched a couple snappers totally eliminate a entire clutch of malard ducklings... that pulled them under one by one. One of the buggers even tried to pull down the hen!! I looked out the door, there was feathers all over the pond and that hen franticly trying to take off...only the snapper had her by the foot. She finally pulled free, but lost here foot in the process. We saw her for the remainder of that summer. She was easy to spot landing with just one foot hanging down. She must have died that winter as we never saw here after that.

The snapping turtle is a nasty, stinking vile creature.....

CW

Well having been born and raised in tenn I’ve killed and ate every one of those many times. My mom use to cringe every time I brought home another snapping turtle for supper.

But now after living in the southwest for so many years I think I’ve had my fill of those critters so if I want something different I just eat the rocky mtn oysters. tipshades.gif

Where at in Tenn? i was born/raised in Cookeville many years ago

Where at in Tenn? i was born/raised in Cookeville many years ago

Bristol. I moved out west when I was 18. Spent most of my youth on boone creek and south holston river.tipshades.gif

ok, i knew there was a thread about this so i figured i would throw my story in here.

it happened yesterday, i was driving home in my subaru with my brother in law (Jackel18) and we saw up ahead, a suv pulled off the side of the road in the other direction. it had its lights flashing and there was a women on the side of the road, we were both like, "WTF is this?" well there were 2 18 wheelers passing the pulled over suv, they had to come into the other lane, so in turn i had to go into the breakdown lane as to give them more room so as we pass by her we are still like "whats she doing" all of a sudden, tha thump, i said "what was that" and my brother in law looked back to see the woman jump a little and put her hands up to her head. well turns out i flattened a little turtle. the best part is that had this stupid women not pulled over to "save" this little turtle, the trucks wouldnt have had to avoid her and i wouldnt have had to avoid them and i would have avoided squising the turtle.

all in all, a very ironic and funny story.

Jonathan

Whats the deal with these discriminating people? You never see them trying to help a skunk cross the road.

I guess losing a finger is no biggy but who wants to stink? :nuts:

Out here in Ca., we have to ship snappers back to where they might have come from when we find one, (Game Warden here). There's actually turtle rescue groups that pay for this too. I really ruined their day once when I told them of commercial market harvesting. Some people think that only things in stores with a price tag can be eaten.