Actron OBD1 Scanner

On 2/22/2015 at 2:36 PM, hornbrod said:

This has been an interesting thread. I have an Actron 9145 scanner I've had for years that I use for my OBD2 vehicles. From this thread, I've learned that I can purchase an Actron CP9129 Chrysler adapter cable like the below (~$25) and my Actron 9145 OBD2 scanner can read my 91 MJ OBD1 fault codes by plugging it into the test port near the ECU. I never knew this.

But what I don't know is how much good it will do me. Does it do more than just "read" the codes? I can already do that with the IGN key trick. Any benefits besides saving wear and tear on my ignition switch?

ActronChryslerCable.jpg.1e51d41ca7b667874a5ec42cebdd80b7.jpg

I got the Chrysler adapter cable for my scanner and have been playing around with it today. Not only does it read and reset fault codes, but it has a lot of neat diagnostic features too. Here's some of the stuff it does; I've tested all of these so far:

Battery temperature

Charging voltage

A/C clutch relay operation

Brake switch operation

Actuator tests (checks the operation of the ECU controlled relays)

Idle speed test (varies engine RPM)

Simulates closed / open loop operation

ASD relay operation & shut-down voltage

Sensor output voltage tests (IAT, CPS, AIT, MAP, etc.)

And it does a whole lot more I haven't tried out yet. The scanner has to be programmed for the particular Chrysler vehicle year and engine under test via drop-down menus. The menus go all the way back to 1989, so I assume if your MJ has the 6-pin diagnostic connector like below, the diagnostic procedures will work on the later Renix junk too. The Chrysler adapter cable plugs into the diagnostic connector, then mates with the Actron scanner data port. There are also adapter cables available for older Ford and GM vehicles too. This is going to be a great tool for troubleshooting. It looks like it can do most everything the DRB tester can do.

EDIT:  The Renix junk does not have this 6-pin connector. There are diagnostic connectors on the Renix, but they are only for the dealership DRB analyzer with the Renix interface card. So you Renix guys are SOL.

I am going to order that adapter for my Hand held as it is an OBDII/EOBD reader so this adapter should work for it and if not then I will buy this Actron 9145...

Thanks for the info...

Innova makes some good obd models too check em out.

The Actron CP9129 Chrysler adapter cable also comes with a power cord for the scanner that's supposed to plug into the cigarette lighter socket. It does not fit, so I just cut it off and soldered on a couple of alligator clips and used the vehicle battery. The scanner will not communicate with the vehicle DTC connector using it's internal battery only. You have to use the supplied power cable because the scanner has to be on the same ground plane as the vehicle. Took awhile to figure that one out.   :hmm:

Innova makes some good obd models too check em out.

Ya I have seen the innova stuff but I have a software package on my laptop that I Use for the more complicated stuff and for the simple stuff I have my Bluetooth adapter and Bluedriver app and clear from my

iPhone so this is nice to add to my basic Hand held that is already ODB compliant I just never seen this adapter before now...

The Actron CP9129 Chrysler adapter cable also comes with a power cord for the scanner that's supposed to plug into the cigarette lighter socket. It does not fit, so I just cut it off and soldered on a couple of alligator clips and used the vehicle battery. The scanner will not communicate with the vehicle DTC connector using it's internal battery only. You have to use the supplied power cable because the scanner has to be on the same ground plane as the vehicle. Took awhile to figure that one out.   :hmm:

Interesting info that I will keep in mind when the adapter gets here...