Just purchased my second Comanche, 91 Eliminator shortbed 4x4 4.0 I6 HO, Ax15, and the metric ton package (dana 44!). Bought it for $1000 runs great only 168k on it and all stock. Problem is floorboards and rockers are gone. (Literally holes you can stick your leg through) I have replacements for both those but came across a rotten frame. Leaf spring and shackles are fine just drivers side is rotted up to the brake lines and a pretty decent size hole. Has anyone repaired a unibody? I know you can strengthen them with unibody supports but anyone do something different?

I've seen build threads with people cutting out all the rusted areas and welding in fresh metal. I've also seen people cut off the uniframe entirely and build an ladder frame to mount everything to.  It's definitely doable, just depends on your skills and budget.  

I know you can strengthen them with unibody supports but anyone do something different?

CJLongshot has a section in his build discussion on plating rust in the frame. That's the right way to do it -- unless there's not enough left to plate to.

Photos -- we need photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ywkwexkm8s77e3o/AACdpdP23h2QIttyvw8g3lEUa Yea, I crawled under when I bought it and knew it was rusted. I'll take some better pictures of the unibody later. The truck still has a Pennsylvania emission sticker and the dealership sticker on the tailgate. Barnes Chrysler Plymouth, but it has been around Florida for at least the past five years. Seems to have spent some winters up north. 

What they have said.  Generally you can plate in (patch with sheet metal) sections of the rusted areas.  Definitely be prepared to patch a larger area than the hole that you see, and potentially have to replace things that you can't see until the section is cut away.

Repairing that depends on your fab skills. You could cut the floor out including the uniframe and then run rectangular tubing or square tubing from behind the front lca mount to the rear frame. You could then build your floor off of that either from scratch or using pre-made pans as a starting point That is just one option.

I don't get what could have happened to it. I am from Indiana and the body on mine was much worse than his but my frame & floors were solid.

I am mext door in Ohio and my uniframe and frame are also solid but the floor is getting suspect while the bed in particular jad major rust. Perhaps damage to the rails allowed stuff to form inside?

I don't get what could have happened to it. I am from Indiana and the body on mine was much worse than his but my frame & floors were solid.

I am mext door in Ohio and my uniframe and frame are also solid but the floor is getting suspect while the bed in particular jad major rust. Perhaps damage to the rails allowed stuff to form inside?
That could be. I'm in Chicagoland and while my body was pretty rough my frame is pretty solid

• 2 weeks later...