Help me decide 2.8 to 3.4 or 4.0?

Just to shed light on my comment-

The FWD block may not be adaptable to a RWD truck, you'll have to compare blocks. The engine mount brackets are surely not the same. Oil filter may not be in the same location. Starter mount may not be in the same location and may not work with a RWD bell housing. Intake will likely be facing to the cowl and not the front of the engine in you truck. A lot of adaption may need to take place.....you'll have to compare the blocks.

Ignition and fuel delivery will be complicated by the Flex Fuel and variable valve timing........There is likely a lot to this conversion as it relates to the ECU/harness.

I doubt you will find headers or other exhaust manifolds to fit these heads.....etc.....

Wiki states the engine are no longer sold in the US and have not been since 2012......likely little support other than replacement parts.

okay that seems way over my head, so I'm going to have to say no to that swap!

Yes, the big obstacle in the 3.9 swap is going to be the FWD to RWD change. I'm thinking the starter swaps sides, plus you'll need to adjust intakes and things, cause they'll end up pointing through the Firewall. With the Fiero, that's not a problem because the mid-engine drivetrain is just a FWD setup that someone stuffed into the trunk.

Just a few hours of searching I found this article on converting a FWD 3100/3400/3500 to RWD in an MGB.  Just for what ever it is worth.

I am sure there is more good information out there.

http://www.britishcarconversions.com/faqs-mainmenu-25/62-3100-3400

The high value engine will need all this and a bunch of electrical/electronics work in addition,.  This same link has a 3900 conversion for the MGB.

More on how to convert the FWD V6 to RWD application.  From a BMW forum no less.  Who would have thought?

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1741842-GM-V6-conversion-q-s

Just say no to the 3.9 junk dude. We service a fleet of uplander minivans with either the 3.5 or 3.9 and they're not near the reliability of the old 3.1 or 3.4 in the Grand Ams and what not. All of those "features" mentioned earlier come at the cost of simplicity and reliability in my experience; not to mention the crazy complexity to swap that over to a 25 year-old truck and have it work correctly.

A Camaro 3.4 with aluminum Grand Am heads and the appropriate cam/tune would run great. Check out 60degreev6.com

Just say no to the 3.9 junk dude. We service a fleet of uplander minivans with either the 3.5 or 3.9 and they're not near the reliability of the old 3.1 or 3.4 in the Grand Ams and what not. All of those "features" mentioned earlier come at the cost of simplicity and reliability in my experience; not to mention the crazy complexity to swap that over to a 25 year-old truck and have it work correctly.

A Camaro 3.4 with aluminum Grand Am heads and the appropriate cam/tune would run great. Check out 60degreev6.com

thank you! I decided on the 3.4!

I believe it was around 2003 or so there was a major class action lawsuit that lead GM to finally correct the gasket problem. My parents' '04 Impala's 3.4 went almost 240,000 miles on the originals with no issues, although it's possible it was the exception. At any rate, I doubt there are too many of the original crappy oem gaskets floating around over ten years later.

That engine was pretty solid. No work done to it whatsoever beyond oil changes. It didn't even leak oil. I don't doubt it would still be pounding down the miles in that car, but my sister wrote it off a couple years ago.

I believe it was around 2003 or so there was a major class action lawsuit that lead GM to finally correct the gasket problem. My parents' '04 Impala's 3.4 went almost 240,000 miles on the originals with no issues, although it's possible it was the exception. At any rate, I doubt there are too many of the original crappy oem gaskets floating around over ten years later.

That engine was pretty solid. No work done to it whatsoever beyond oil changes. It didn't even leak oil. I don't doubt it would still be pounding down the miles in that car, but my sister wrote it off a couple years ago.

Awesome! Good to know its pretty reliable as well

Are you considering the Grand Am heads and intake(s)?

yes, I was going to get the aluminum heads and new style intake and have them ported and polished! I was hoping to make somewhere around 200-210 hp as that is what I would be happy with. My 2.8 has no backbone to it. I would love to do a 350 Chevy or 360 does swap but that is above me as this will be my first motor swap

200hp? I'd be looking into a tranny other than an AX5 if I planned on hitting those #'s. The 4.0HO put out 190 and needed an AX15.

plans just took a major change! I spoke with my dad tonight and he said if we're swapping a motor in we're making it a v8! So tomorrow were off to pick up a 5.0l 302 ford explorer

A 86 has a really small core support opening. A 3 core aluminum radiator is needed at a minimum to keep it cool. I have a custom rad in my 86 and had to get a slim electric fan for them to play nice together. Good luck!

Thank you! I will definitely need it! But for this project ill have my father helping me which will be nice!