Rear Axle Shock Mounting Plate Question

Thanks to Gjeep and his 88 and 92 MJs I think we have this figured out, but I would like anyone who has a 90-92 MJ to look up at these plates on your rig to verify because I think the 91-93 factory parts manual is wrong. The part numbers for these plates changed in 1990. The pic below is from the ground looking up at a leaf spring shock mounting plate on my 91. What I want to verify is that all the 90-92 plates had the pressed bulge in the plate across the center pin. The 89 and below plates did not have this bulge; that were flat. This is what I think causes the difference in the part numbers between the 86-89 and 90-92 MJ plates. And I also think because of the bulge redesign in 1990 the plates were strengthened somewhat and did not require the reinforcement plates as used on the 89 and below models. If you guys could fine the time to take a peek under there I'd appreciate it.  :cheers:

Image Not Found

Exactly. Unfortunately the 91-92 MJ rear suspension diagrams in the 91-93 parts manual are just reprints of the earlier design. They even show and list the extra reinforcement plates that are not present on the newer MJs. Thanks to everyone for helping me to solve this dilemma. It's always good when you learn something new.

Had me puzzled for a long time. It makes me curious whether the one-piece redesigned shock plate w/o the reinforcement plate was simply a cost saving measure or actually an engineering strength improvement. I've never heard of any failures with either design except for busted u-bolts.

The difference in axle tube width between a Jeep D35 and D44 is so small that the D35 reinforcement plate works anyway.

True, since the shock mounting plates are the same for both the 35 and 44 axles. But there are two reinforcement plates listed for the 89s and below; one for each axle. Also, there's no way the reinforcement plates can be used with the newer shock plates because of the bulge. Of course the parts manual could be wrong yet again for the reinforcement plates. Aggravating...........

• 2 weeks later...