MJ LIFT

I have just received a 88 MJ Body is in perfect shape (no rust). Looking to put 2-3in lift for 31's. Any sugest... would like to get a lift that has replacement springs for the rear, but all I find are add-a-leafs. Also I'm looking for certain interior pieces that I am missing - Biggest one is the small floor console (stick shift W/4wd) in grey?? This console seems to be very hard to find. 8)

Ther are no aftermarket full packs thus-far. The only alternatives we have available to us are paying someone to re-arching your current leafs or having a custom pack made, neither of which are very cheap. Just try to find an add-a-leaf that is long rather than short. They usually give a better ride. Rustys makes one. Careful about XJ add-a-leafs, as they will only provide about half of the lift the XJ would get (MJ leafs already have a lot of arch compared to XJs). On the other hand, many MJs are higher in the rear than the front, so maybe an XJ leaf would better match the new front springs.

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=300MJAL&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

Jeep on!

--Pete

I find that very few companies make lifts for the MJ. It is rather aggrivating.

The only other option that I have found, depending on how high you want to go, is to get the RE kit for the MJ. It puts a SOA in the rear with the stock springs and 5.5" coils up front. But that is a lot higher than you want to go with yours, so I guess you would almost have to go with AAL. Skyjacker makes a kit for the MJ specificly and it has AAL also.

My 2 cents would be go with Rusty's if you are only looking at 2 to 3". He makes a good kit, the wife has a 4.5" kit on her XJ and it goes anywhere she wants it to and flexes very well. You would be happy with one of his kits.

Matt

• 1 month later...

When I did the 8.8 swap I used the explorer leaf springs. They had the same amount of leaves and the same arch, but in better shape than the oem MJ leaves. The only difference I saw was the bushings were a bit smaller (less rubber) but that's it. Maybe you can find replacement explorer springs and/or AAL for them. Keep in mind there are different spring "codes" for explorers, and I don't know which one I have since I only bought the axle and not the whole explorer.

Regards,

88Emjay

How long are the explorer main leafs eye-to-eye?

Jeep on!

--Pete

I can measure them for you in the morning but when I was doing the swap I measured them and the stock leaves and they were exactly the same length eye to eye. They even had the overload leaves just like the MJ packs.

88Emjay

have you checked out www.tntcustoms.com ? I just read the new JP magazine article about the project comanche they've been working on... they had this longarm kit on there, with the kinked Y-arms.. looks great, I'm thinking I may get that longarm kit instead of Rusty's... but I'm still planning on getting the 6.5" Rusty's springs... should rwork nicely...

When I ordered my LOng arms, I seriously looked at the TNT custom. Problem was... I knew there were differences, and They were not sure of what they were. I just couldnt drop that kinda coin to go buy a part that might not work w/o considerably mods. Just the long arms and belly pan are 850-900.

The one thing I do like is the fact that the arms are clearance for your tires.

well, Rusty's LA kit alone is $799 but no belly pan.... but you can add it for $99... TNT's is $899 with the belly pan... so same prices pretty much... I'm just liking the kinked LA rather than Rusty's straight LA's... any extra clearance I can find will help tons ;) but of course, I still need to fork over the dough and try it out hehehe

Like I said earlier I ended up using the Terra flex Long arms, and I am pleased with them except for the tire rub issue. Flex is great even though it is syil a 4 link system and not a radias arm style. Ride is also great.

All I have to say is don't always believe what you read, and don't not try something cause a few "web wheelers" knock your proposed setup.

MY second setup was knocked by lots of ppl till I took it to Tellico, and they watched it flex and do better then a lot of the other vehicles in our group. Second setup was RE DB's with stock uppper and lowers with 6.5 coils, and a D35 :shock: :D My d35 held together while I grenaded a lock right :shock: Talk about a shock. Did I mention this was on all terrian tires :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Espo.com sells replacement stock leaf packs for $200. If you pay an extra $40 they'll send you some for a 2" Lift. I've got a set on my '89 but it's still in the Project Phase so I haven't ridden on them yet. They appear quite sturdy, more arch than stock, and have new bushings, etc. I'm using these leafs, front HD Coils from CarQuest, and D30/D44 axles from an auto which will give me better gearing to run 30"-31" tires with my 5spd.

- JP

I wil say that my Long arms from Terra Have held up awesome to 2 very abusive trail rides :-D They are deffinately scarred, but seem to be holding up. The reason why I didnt go with Rusty's set-up was... A guy in the club I wheel with, had issues with his after only a yr of Moderate use... Rusty's did replace them, but it took a few weeks for the trans action to take place... and that is just too long for me to be down, cause of a part that You pay that kinda money for.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

BDS has a great rep.. and they honor their warranty as long as you have a reciept. I have only dealt with Rusty's a few times, here are my personal impressions. Shipping is slow, customer service is fair. AS for their parts... Their front coils are average, ride a lil stiff. Their tie-rod conversion is a piece of crap, and not worth te money. Ordering centering pins from them, and then recieveing the wrong side was frustrating, especially when they wanted me to pay for shipping them back. Needless to say.. they won't get any money from me.. ever again.

Patrick

• 3 months later...

Sorry for dredging up an old post...but there where some questions asked that where unanswered!!

the exploder springs, where they infact the same legnth. I would thing the ford with be heavier than the MJ....so maybe even a bit more lift as well.....

Also RUSTYS has begun offering complete leaf packs. Any coments here. I am defineately a non Rustys guy, herd too many problems with quality and fitment not to mention welding issues. But they don't make the actual springs right?? I order ed them last night and am anxiously awaiting delivery......I also ordered some from JCWhitney...I waited for almost three months before they informed me they where dropping them form the catalogue as the vendor could not deliver!!!

I installed a AAL this week end and got ZERO LIFT!!! My front is done and sitting taller then the back.....I NEED REAR SPRINGS!!!!

COMMENTS PLEASE!!!!