Diagnosis on the Comanche continues. Could there be enough "resistance" through the cap and rotor and spark plug wires to cause a low spark condition? I am getting a healthy spark at the coil. The spark at the plugs seems weak and my plugs are wet. I also took the intake tube off and sprayed starter fluid down the TB and it didn't do a thang. After removing each plug one at a time and checking for spark it kinda acted like it wanted to start when I had the whife cranking on it. but then I got in the truck and cranked it and gave it alittle throttle and nothing. I listen to each injector and I could hear a spray on each one. Some sounded more faint then others tho, or so it seemed. My Fuel pressure was right around 36-39 psi.

Soo this evening after work I replaced the cap and rotor but not the plug wires. Still no start. Did not get to pull a plug and check for spark tho with the new cap as I was at it alone. Guess plug wires are next and then go from there.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to be persistent! If I had to make the next step it would be plug wires with what you stated!

Haha I own a VW also so I learned to be persistence working on that aggravation. Lol

I bought new plugs they had to order plug wires. i came home pulled all the plugs turned the engine over w/o plugs then set the gap on the plugs and installed them. cranked it over and nothing. Then I busied myself with other things and installed the driveshaft. then i tried to start it again. It kinda started to hit alittle so i held the throttle open and it came even closer to starting. I cranked on it some and let the starter rest. Then tried again and finally it caught up and started. it bellowed white smoke for a min. i drove it around abit but it never got to where it would idle. It would restart if i feathered the throttle. Thoughts?

Picked up the plugs wires today and a bottle of this!

I think the plugs wires can wait so I poored this whole bottle of sea foam in , I figured it had about 6 gallons of fuel in the tank. I went to start the truck and with alittle throttle it fired up. I went and fed the cows a round bale of hay and everytime I stoped the truck to open gates and such it died but started back up with alittle throttle. I got brave and drove the truck all the way down the drive way which is a mile long and then I drove it down the hwy about 2 miles. When I got back to the driveway the truck did idle when I took my foot off the gas but by the time I made it back to the house it would not idle. I think I am on the right track and what this thing really needs is to be drove! That's gonna have to wait for new tires tho because the tires that are on it are dry rotted and not road worthy......sigh. I may see what the local tire place has for used tires because I hate to put new tires on it yet because I am thinking I will be running 31's once the truck is 4x4. If driving It doesn't clear it up completly it may need new injectors.

Awesome!! Ya it needs to be run!! Blow the webs out! Congrats I've heard great things about sea foam never used it myself tho..

The first time I was introduced to seafoam was with ATV's. It will sure clean up a carb. I am hoping it will do the same for my injectors. If not it maybe time for a 746 injector upgrade. BTW BlackBeast is your bed bobbed?

In other news my wife was riding in the truck with me while driving around on the farm. She rolled the passenger window down and then went to roll it back up. The crank handle just made a noise that sounds like the regulator gear slipping. We got back to the house and it was dark. She said just let it wait and work on it in the daylight.....but of course i knew better. I grabbed a pair of small needle nose pliers and lightly grabbed ahold of the top of the window and thought I would assist the window up while cranking the window handle...light pressure was applied and crack. The window broke. AWESOME! The wife enjoyed the I told you so but other than that she was not impressed. So i guess will hit up the salvage yard for a replacement glass. I am getting insurance on the truck today. Might drive it around on some short work errands tomorrow. I will be sure to have a spare tire and won't break any speed records with the not so good tires that are on it. Atleast the fronts look better then the rears. TBC 

Next time you don't even need to needle nose pliers just simply peel the bottom part of the panel enough so you can push the window up....

I got the same issue I know it to the point that just a few full turns and it's at the point I can still roll the window back up...

Thank you I will remember that. Ya I was in a hurry and against my better judgement I used the pliers. Oh well I guess i will replace window glass now and the window wipe seal while i am at it.

Yes I bobbed my bed...it was a long bed and made it short bed length. ..so I have technically a long bed 2 wheel drive as title says lol....that's a funny with the wife don't ya just love that I told ya so look??? Glad ur running and getting progress ! Well I will have to try that sea foam on a few projects of mine in the future.

Yes I bobbed my bed...it was a long bed and made it short bed length. ..so I have technically a long bed 2 wheel drive as title says lol....that's a funny with the wife don't ya just love that I told ya so look??? Glad ur running and getting progress ! Well I will have to try that sea foam on a few projects of mine in the future.

I like the bobbed look plus you get the longer wheelbase of the long bed chassis.

Well I drove the truck all day yesterday and found to used tires for it, just before one of the rear tires was fixxing to let loose. Today I replaced the broken passenger side glass and the window regulator. It wasn't to bad but took longer then I planed. Getting the weather striping and such back in correct is tedious. After I got it together I drove to a friends house to pickup his mig welder to borrow. On the way home I stopped by sonic. As I was pulling into the stall to order the truck died and it didn't start right back. There for abit I was worried I was going to be at sonic for the remainder of the evening. I cranked and cranked and mashed the gas and let it loose and mashed it again, finally it roared to life. Then I hammered down to get home. I have ran a half tank of gas with seam foam through with little improvement. It still will not idle and it has the shakes when I am going down the road and the truck shifts into high gear. I am going to start looking for new injectors. I have some 19# Ford Mustang injectors but they would need orings at the very least. I would feel better sending them off for rebuild but that's $108 from the one place I have found online. I can buy some reman 746 injectors for $89.99 on eBay all day long. The 746 injectors have the 4 way nozzle and my older 5.0 injectors do not. Sooooo I am thinking 746! But before I drive the truck much more I will be replacing injectors. I will say that I love driving this little truck around. It moves down the road easy and steers straight.

Sooooo the blown out muffler was getting annoying so this morning I went and had a Magnaflow muffler put on the Comanche. It was only $20 more then one like what was on it and the Magnaflow is stainless!. The cat is still on it but muffler guy told me it had been gutted. Its not loud at all really only when you hammer on it and even then in the cab it doesn't have a drone of anything. I didn't do a rear dump, it had a basically new tailpipe over the rear axle that came out behind the rear wheel so i just reused that.

It is sitting at half a tank of gas/seafoam mix right now. I think I am going to dump another can in just for good measure! Other then this no exciting news to report. I am going to focus on finishing the EFI of my AMC360 in my cj5 for a few days/weeks. Speaking of here is a pic of the heep.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice jeep!

Thank you! Its coming along.

Well my heep has been taking up alot of my time and money so not much has happened to the MJ lately. I did track down two more used tires and put on some ole hub caps I had.

BAM!

Classy :D

I am working on selling my tow rig and my wife's car so we can buy a lower milage SUV for if we have children soon. :help:

If both the car and truck sell the MJ will be at the top of the list for repairs and upgrades so we can have a second reliable 4x4 DD. :banana:

Well today I was able to order a set of Bosch 4 nozzle re manufactured injectors. $89.99 off fleabay! 3 year warrenty from the day they are delivered.

I also ordered the new fuel line quick release thingies for the fuel supply and return line. I ordered those from Morris 4x4. I also ordered a new fuel pressure regulator from local parts store. I am also going to install a new fuel filter, that will be the third one. Once all these parts come in within the next 7 days I will go about installing them. Any of you have suggestions, tips or tricks for this procedure? I think it's pretty straight forward but doesn't hurt to ask those who have gone before me.

Suffice to say they should be easier then replacing the injectors on my Ford Super Dooty 6.0. And lots cheaper!

Little update. I finally did get the fuel line on and even used the old clip. I put the orings and spacer in the line as they described in the manual. I would go to put it on the fuel rail and it would seem like it just would not go far enough for the retainer to catch. SO i thought what the heck I would take the outer oring off and see if it would click on. I could check to see if it leaked after the fact. So thats what I did and it seated on the fuel rail inlet and does't leak prob solved. So i started the truck and checked for leaks and then drove it a couple miles the next day. The engine still shuttered and was low on power and would not idle. So i parked it. I checked fuel pressure, it was good, i checked vac pressure with the throttle slightly open to keep the truck running(used a brick on the gas peddle) and it was steady at 25#. When i pulled a vac line to check the vac pressure i noticed the truck kinda surged and took a breath and idled....not smooth but it did stay running on it own with out the brick.

I traced the vac line down and it lead to the black round ball vac resevoir behind the front bumper. I took the resvoir off and checked it out. Seemed to have alittle water in it.  

Well night before last I couldnt sleep very good so I went down stairs and put the Vac resevoir back on the truck and I went ahead and put the new spark plug wires on. While i was changing out the wires I found one of the old wires was not even on the plug! So its been running on 5 cylinders so that would explain the engine shutter and low power, even with the new injectors. So this morning after I fed the cows and carried in some firewood I decided to mess with the truck abit.  I pulled the IAC plugin and that helped the idle alittle bit. It will idle for a min then peter out. I had a gutted IAC from when I was fooling with it before. I put the gutted IAC in and fired the truck up. It idled very high as expected it but it did idle smoothly. I think it needs a new IAC.

Its snowing here! 3+ inches and still coming down.

I just installed my older Ford orange top injectors in my MJ this AM. They are the 2-piece ones and have the grooves for the clips. When I had them installed in my XJ years ago I did not reinstall the clips because for some reason they would not line up correctly. But, they did fit snug, when everything was buttoned up. 

My MJ runs much better now, smoother idle and no more hesitation at all. I have a bored TB to install on it still, but waiting til after my emissions testing to be done before messing with anything else. 

The only advice I would have given, if you did not already install them, was to lube up the o-rings which you probably did. I used some MMO, as I always have at least a bottle or 2 around.