Got the new IACV in today. Idles like a dream! I think I am now ready to move on from engine repair to others things on this project! I am thinking I will get started prepping the AMC20 to go in Em's MJ.

Awesome!!! Glad it's running smooth finally!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I retract my previous statement. On the way out the driveway this morning (it's a mile long) the truck died and did one of those hard to start spells that I thought was injector related....I finally got it to restart after some cranking and thinking evil thoughts. It ran like a top the rest of the day....confusing. Also the heat did not work this morning. The air was luke warm coming out of the defrost vents and that was the only place it would come out of. Em reported that a nice brisk cool breeze was coming into the passenger floor board. Well better check vac lines and what ever else could cause this. Lol maybe I should change the tags on this thread to Mj, Resurrection, never ending, problems. All of you interested in a 4x4 conversion have been sadly disappointed so far.

Well yesterday the MJ decided it really liked it at the Grocery store. Luckily my brother and his family were eating pizza at the pizza joint next door. It all started when The MJ died on me as I was pulling out of the feed store and it died once i came to a stop to pull out and then it did one of those long cranking episodes. It smelled like gas and it would hit and want to start but acted like it just couldnt catch up. I cranked and cranked and it finally fired up. i drove it to Emily's work and shut it off. Emily came out side i started it no prob. We drove to grocery store and shut it off. Emily came out to the truck it started up no prob. We pulled up to the stop sign and it dies and I crank and crank and then we push it back to a parking spot were i crank on it until the battery starts to fade. I am about to give up and it starts. I pull back up to the stop sign feathering the gas ever so slightly and the SOB dies again. The battery is done at this point I surrender and go eat some pizza. Basiacally it seems as if it is flooding randomly? sigh We have been driving it for five days with out much problem besides the heater controls not working and I thought I noticed the ac pump kicking on although it was not set to a/c?

Got her home on the haul of shame Friday. It set in front of the garage until Saturday afternoon. I was fixxing to go pickup the wife from work and I thought well I will crank on it for kicks. It turned over a few times and then it fired for a min and died. I cranked on it alittle more then it started but was running pretty rough. I popped the hood and heard a hissing noise. I had unhooked a vacline while i was tinkering with it in the grocery store parking lot. I also noticed the map sensor vac line was in two pieces. I had used a small piece of vac line to splice it together when I broke it changing injectors. I put the vac line back on the intake and the splice back together for the map sensor and it picked up and idled like a new one. I put a vac gauge on it and the needle was reading rock steady at 18#. I backed it up and then pulled it into the garage where I shut it off. I went and picked up the wife from work in my Superduty. When we got back home I started and shutoff the MJ several times. Fast forward to Monday morning. I start it up and let it warm up before I take off to work. It idles but then will bog down alittle and then pick back up. I take off down the drive way and make it our first pond, thats about a 1/4 mile from the house. It dies without warning, won't start back and I am walking back to the house. I get home yesterday afternoon put a new tighter fitting vac line over the broken map sensor line just to be safe and it won't start. I tow it back to the house where it is now sitting in the garage. If i get it to start again I am going to check the fuel pressure with a gauge and see if that tells me anything.

Keep us updated I really hope you get her running man ! these trucks can be a pain in the @$$ but there tough and reliable once you get the little gremlins worked out . Don't give up on her man keep the progress going and convert her to 4x4 :)

X2 !

Thought I would try and start the MJ lastnight. I cranked it over it fired but did not start. I held the gas pedal to the floor and after some coaxing it started with a cloud of white smoke. It idled for about 20 mins until i shut it off and restarted it with no probs. I checked fuel pressure with engine running and was rock steady at 30#. I noticed one of the bigger vac lines that comes from airbox back around the engine on the firewall to the vac canister  was rotted away at the end and not connected to the canister. I guess I will order that vac line harness and replace it. Just go from there I guess!

Have you tried to get it to flash codes at you at all? does it seem weather related when it dies or is it completely random?

No I don't know how to check codes on these. Have a link for some info on that? It's pretty much random. I started it today. It idled forever yesterday so I thought I would try and drive it down to the barn. I drove 25 yards to the cattle guard and it dies. I crank on it for awhile hold the throttle wide open eventually it starts blowing balck and white smoke. I back it up and pull it back into the garage. I am thinking MAP sensor? Coolant Sensor? TPS? Something that would cause it to flood out all the sudden.

You can try this.. may not work, ive rear some stuff about it only working for 91 and up obdI

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/jeep-computer-codes-obdi-obdii-3341/

I was thinking it was kinda a map sounding problem too so here's this

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/jeep/4.0L/how-to-test-the-map-sensor-1

Coolant temp sensor is a pretty easy test. Just find out the warm and cold values for it and bust out the multimeter. One other thing I was thinking of was my buddy has an old golf and it was kinda doing what yours was and it turned out to be an o2 sensor ground so you can check that too. ground wires will get you everytime.

Happy hunting :wrench:

You can try this.. may not work, ive rear some stuff about it only working for 91 and up obdI

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/jeep-computer-codes-obdi-obdii-3341/

I was thinking it was kinda a map sounding problem too so here's this

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/jeep/4.0L/how-to-test-the-map-sensor-1

Coolant temp sensor is a pretty easy test. Just find out the warm and cold values for it and bust out the multimeter. One other thing I was thinking of was my buddy has an old golf and it was kinda doing what yours was and it turned out to be an o2 sensor ground so you can check that too. ground wires will get you everytime.

Happy hunting :wrench:

Thanks for the help. I worked on building my skid plate for my Cj today so I didn't touch the MJ besides to haul the floor jack 1/2 mile down the road to put spare on my SuperDuty. I kept the RPM's up thinking it would help to keep it running and I guess it did. When i get a chance to do some checking on the MJ will let you know what I find.

Ok I got kinda got over the red @$$ towards the comanche and I went down to work on it tonight. I got ready to test the TPS and see if it was properly adjusted and the TB looked pretty nasty and the edges of the butterfly had some build up so off it came for a cleaning.

Before:

After:

The back of the TPS didnt look real good. Looks like it got hot and got alittle gooey.

I figured it was not good but I got the TB back on and everything back together and was able to adjust the TPS within spec. The Reference voltage was 4.89 and I got the output to .83 on the button. Well see if it stays that way. It was dark out and a thunderstorm was taking place so I didn't back it out of the garage and take it for a drive but it did  start right up. I shut it off and fired right up again and idled fine. True test will be a trip down the driveway/dirtroad. Then if it passes that test I will fully trust it after a weeks worth of driving it with no probs.....maybe. haha

EDIT: I ordered a new TPS. I don't trust this one. Should be in tomorrow. More parts will have to come from the next pay check. haha

Today was one of those days I should of just stayed out of the garage. My first thing on the list of things to do today was to change out the old TPS for the new one. Easy right, take like 30 mins max? No, try like half the day.  I went to take the top screw out of the TPS and the head of it twisted off with little effort. I take the bottom screw out and pull the TPS off and and figure np I will get a pair of pliers and gently turn the screw on out of the TB....I just had it out no more then a day or two ago. It should come right out. Well it twist off even with the TB.

So off comes the TB again and out come the drill bits and whatever I can find that must suffice as an easy out. I end up drilling it out almost all the way and use a tap to clean the rest of it out. I thought I would try the new threads out with the other old screw...don't want to screw up the threads on my new screw! HAHA DONE IT AGAIN!

I really have no idea how it did but it did an I was being ever so careful. These things must have gotten hot and fatigued at some point. Well repeat the drilling and tapping and around noon I am adjusting the new TPS. IT seems like its working great. I drove it around to check the cattle and then drove it out the drive way and to the church and back no probs. Soooo it might be fixxed for now.