• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We drove the MJ to church today and back. Ran great. We were doing some work outside around the house and I drove it to the barn to get some dirt and when I went to start it to drive back to the house it didn't start right away I had to give it some gas. Drove it to the house shut it on and off sever more times doing things and it never missed a lick. We got done and decided to drive to sonic for ice cream. We drove it to town stopped and filled it up with gas went to sonic and came back home with no probs until we were pulling across the cattle guard into the yard and it died. I had to hold the throttle wide open to start it again. I Drove it 50 yards to the garage door and shut it off and it started again easily. Thats all I fooled with it today.

Thanks guys its a heck of alot better then it was for sure. I will keep pluggin away at the things it needs under the hood like vac lines and such and I bet it will get ironed out eventually. In the mean time I have been driving it around the farm and to the end of the dirt road and back. Our road is so bad right now our car will not make it in and out so we just park the car at the end of the road and drive the Mj or the SuperDooty out to the car. The MJ even has alittle trouble if you don't get a run at some of the hills.The next step in the project should help with traction tho! AMC20 with a traclok. :brows:

Ā 

Lastnight I got home at decent hour so I thought I would work on pulling the axles out of the parts truck before the ticks get real bad. I got the AMC20 out and started on upper control arms on the front.

Ā 

Ā 

I probably should of put a warning in the title of my thread "WARNING picture heavy!"

• 3 weeks later...

Been driving it for a week and a half. It has behaved itself for the most part. Top of the list of things to do right now are: new valve cover gasket, new rear vac harness, relocate vac reservoir to engine bay, rebuild rear axle and rebuild tcase. I also got both axles pulled and the parts truck IS for sale :)

Had a free afternoon Saturday so I took the opportunity to install new valve cover gasket, do the valve cover mod and relocate the vac reservoir. Now the climate controls work! I also changed the oil and switch to 15-40 Rotella. Its same oil I use in my 96 Ford PSD and I figured the flat tappet cam in the 4.0L would thank me for it.

Ā 

Moved the vac resi to just behind the battery.

Ā 

Valve cover mod to keep oil for spitting onto the new air filter.

Ā 

Valve cover cleaned up and in place.

This truck has decided to educate me right I guess. I drove it Monday for part of the day and about midday I was going back by the house and while coming down the dirt road it died on me and was hard to start so I parked it until last night. The new rear vac harness came in and I installedĀ  it last night and replaced a hose that was coming from a vac canister on passenger side to a plastic tube that goes along the firewall and ends at the airbox. I drove it down the drive and a mile or two to the gas station. No problems. I pull out of the gas station hold it wide open and at WOT is kinda fell on its face and when I let off to about 75% throttle it took off. I got about 1/4 mile before our dirt road turn off and I pulled over to a pull off on the side of the highway. AS soon I come to a stop it died. I cycled the key and it cranked for a second and started. It was running kinda rough so I drive on and and turn down the drive way. It dies again about 1/4 mile down the dirt road and I cycle the key and it starts after a sec. I drive to the the first gate (its closed because cows are in the front field) and it idling rough and I go back to the tail pipe and it smells like its running rich. I make it to about 1/4 mile from the house and the cows are in the road. When i slow down to wait for them to get out of the road the truck dies and I crank on it and cycle the key and it will not start. I walk to the house. This morning I walk back to the truck and is starts right up. I drive it to the house and it idles for about 30 mins until I shut it off. It kinda sounds like its temp related and its running rich when at operating temperature. I will check the coolant temp as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Ā 

BTW what is this?

gotchya. cuz that will make it run like $#!& for sure lol

Ya lol I maybe I should just go ahead and delete the EGR just to be safe. I will have to look into how to do that but I am going to guess its just a matter of removing EGR and components and plugging holes.

I tested the coolant sensor and its reading at about 2200 at about 70 degrees and 333 at operating temp. From what I read that is about 1000 off at 70 degrees and 700 off at operating temp. Its only $18 bucks from the parts store so I am going to order one and see if that helps. I need to get this thing going! My diesel truck is laughing at my gas money budget.

• 2 weeks later...

After some ordering confusion at the parts store I finally got the new coolant sensor. I changed it out lastnight. That thing is pretty well hidden behind the motor mount bracket. I had to make a custom wrench to get in there alittle easier to tighten the new sensor into the block.

After the new sensor was installed I drove the truck to the end of the road and back and it did fine. The idle is lower and it doesnt seem to run as rich and randomly die once it gets to operating temp. Just to be safe i had the wife follow me into work with the car today and it made it to my office fine. I guess the only sensors left to replace are the MAP, IAT and the O2 sensor. Maybe they will hold out another few thousand miles.........I am going to drive it a few weeks and see what happens.

Well I put the MJ through its paces yesterday and today, about 150 miles. Yesterday it began to stumble at idle and it would die after you started it and put it in gear. I drove it home and dropped it off. Today I thought I would give it another shot as I didn't have as much driving to do. It ran fine until I was driving down a dirt road to a farmers house to calibrate his sprayer and it randomly died on me about 4 times. I had noticed a hissing noise from under the hood yesterday. When I looked under the hood I found that the hissing was coming from the base of the throttle body, as best I can tell. So I have ordered up a new TB base gasket and will see if that helps, I probably should of done that when i cleaned the TB. I think I will also clean up the senors grounds again since I have stopped the valve cover from puking oil on to them. To Be Continued......

• 2 weeks later...

Installed new MAP sensor and no change. I ran the battery down trying to get it started. So I used my Superduty to jump it and it finally fired off, it was still blowing white smoke out the tailpipe running rich just as before. I tinkered with it abit. Checked vacuum and got out the test light and checked a few loose wires. I finally start jiggling wiring over on the passenger fender well and as soon as I touched the 3 pin plugin that goes into the coil mount it died. I unplugged it and the other pluginĀ  and checked them out they looked fine tho, i had unpugged and cleaned them at the very beginning of this debacle. I plugged both back in made sure they were secure and then started the truck with little trouble. I went back and jiggled wires again and it did not die. So as of today it is running fine. A rough dirt road and time will tell I guess. Is everyone asleep yet? haha