Synthetic Oil ?

I can't subscribe to changing the filter every other oil change.

I'd rather leave the synth in the crankcase and change the filter at 3K miles.

Anyway. I run mobil 1 full synth in the wife's camry, I change it at 5K. Of course, that's what the factory recommends for dino oil.

I don't run synth in the 4.0.

Two reasons:

It gets changed much more frequently than 3K miles because of the abuse it takes off road.

the one time I put synth in it, before it became a trail truck, the lifters made noise. I wasn't comfortable with the amount of noise the motor was making. Of course, my junk had 240K mile son it at the time, so a fresh motor might take to the synth just fine.

the one time I put synth in it, before it became a trail truck, the lifters made noise. I wasn't comfortable with the amount of noise the motor was making. Of course, my junk had 240K mile son it at the time, so a fresh motor might take to the synth just fine.
\

so you used synth and then went back to conv???

I run Castrol Syntec and change oil and filter at 5000 miles. I changed at 2500 miles with conventional oil. My brother used to be a service manager at a BMW dealership. He switched over to synthetic a lot sooner than I did (of course, he could buy BMW's oil at wholesale prices), and when he pointed out that BMWs recommended oil change interval with synthetic is 15,000 miles, I figured I'd be safe using 5000 miles.

don't EVER hold off on changing the oil filter. for a 13 dollar part and the fact that you've already drained it, and the fact that you could do ALOT more damage by not changing it.

anyways, I run synth in my engine, just the parts master brand bumper to bumper carries, 10w30 year round. NEVER run synthetic in an aw4 tranny, it self-destructs with that.

and tcase should be auto tranny fluid, axles I run synthetic.

BAck when I drove it a lot, I changed the oil in my 88 every 2k mile (or after every weekend excursion back when I used to drive it to the destination) and I use cheap oil and an expensive filter. :D The engine in the 88 likes to dirty up the oil in a hurry. :( That engine just can't go past 2.5k without a noticeably increasing sluggishness. Change the oil and it perks back up. At one point in time I used synthetic and eventually gave up and went back to the cheap stuff. There just wasn't any benefit to me.

I run syn in all of mine everywhere. The two places I don't is in the AW4 and my ECTED equipted diffs....voids Auburns warenty somehow??

Anyway, I love the stuff. I change oil every 5000mi, same as Eagle, but I also change out filter and top off inbetween @ 2500mi.

CW

don't EVER hold off on changing the oil filter. for a 13 dollar part and the fact that you've already drained it.

Do the oil filters for the 4.0 cost more then the 2.5 :D

Charles

I was estimating on the high end of things.

OK,

just thought if you were paying $13 for a filter in WI, I was going to load up my truck with filters and sale them along the road side for Jeep parts :D

Charles

I DO pay only 13 bucks a filter at most for a filter, and it's Wix brand too.

\

so you used synth and then went back to conv???

yeah. It's not a problem.

Do you have an Amsoil dealer near you? They now carry WIX filters, the 4.0 filter is $7.15 so yours should be close. You can order on line from Amsoil but you need to order a couple filters to cover the difference in shipping. They also carry the full line to WIX filters.

Charles

Don't go full synthetic right away but switch to a blend I have always like quaker state. Or even valvoline. But I was told to switch to a synthetic blend then go completely synthetic in like a year.

This is how it was with old sythetics. With newer sythetics, you can apply one quart to your current oil without problems. Doing this with sythetics back some years would cause troubles, but not anymore. This is only for motor oil!

Also, you're supposed to change your filter every 3000 miles, and you're supposed to change your fluid everytime you change your filter, so while sythetic Can run for more than 3000 miles, your filter shouldn't. Also, that 3000 miles is dependent on how severe the driving you do is.

I just watched 18 training videos for work, so I've been learning alot about oil. I hate those videos.

for a trail truck, I change it anytime it sees deep water, and about every three times it sees the dirt.

which is why it doesn't get synth, because I change it rahter frequently.

I'd rather have fresh cheap oil, than old expensive oil. Simply because it get's dirty quick if you're offroad.

Yeah I would tend to agree with you but if your vehicle is older I would still say don't go from oil to full synthetic I don't believe that there can be that much change in how they produce it. Probably wrong though. Also if your motor is really old and has been running regular oil for 150,000 miles it would be irregular. I have never had dirty oil after four wheeling. I really just change it either every three months or 3000 miles whichever comes first. Filter should always be changed on every oil change as well. Doesn't matter how much you pay on that thing. But the oil you can be brand specific. I really don't like Penzoil or any of the in store brands.

Do you have an Amsoil dealer near you? They now carry WIX filters, the 4.0 filter is $7.15 so yours should be close. You can order on line from Amsoil but you need to order a couple filters to cover the difference in shipping. They also carry the full line to WIX filters.

Charles

for the convenience of 2 miles away to bumper to bumper, and the fact that I ONLY buy new parts through them if I can manage to, and the fact that I get a dealer discount (through JP construction...gramp's construction company demands alot of parts, and I put them in for them...yay g-vans!), why would I order anything?

Just trying to look out for you ;) paying $13 at dealer discount for a $8 filter Just did want to see anyone get taken. Sorry I will go back in my hole :cheers:

Charles

haha, I pay 9 bucks for the 3.8, the 13 dollar one is for my grandpa's duramax.

thanks for looking out. you can come outta your hole now.