Any newer vehicle suggestions?

feerocknok

I'm in the market for a new (to me) vehicle and I'm looking in the $12-17k range.

So far my list of vehicles to look into are:

'98-'01 Toyota Tacoma (pref an '01 double cab)

2001ToyotaTacomaPrerunnerDoubleCab.jpg

'01-'02 Toyota 4Runner (meh)

00toyota4runner.jpg

'00-'02 Audi A4 (classy)

14301541331.jpg

'96-'98 Land Rover Range Rover (4.6L V-8 )

2000asefront.jpg

I'm really undecided in which direction to go. I want something that's classy and reliable, with the fun-to-drive factor following those two things. Currently, I don't have anything to rightfully take a lady out in, or anything to take me halfway across the US on a roadtrip. I'm in no need of another pick-up, so something like a Tacoma would probably be a double cab with only a 5-ft bed. Also, classiness comes with a price tag I tend to choke on (upwards of 20k for me)

Right now the Audi and Land Rover look the most appealing but I am worried about the construction quality of both as I don't know the companies. On the other side of things, I feel like I know American car manufacturers too well to purchase their products.

Can anyone think of any other vehicles that might work for me? Or comments on any of the already listed vehicles? I need to get into a new rig within the month and can't even decide what to look for.

I'd go for the Audi, but the one i owned was an '85 4000 s which ran like a dream, but major problem with foreign cars, parts = expensive, and my other thought is, if you don't need a truck, why are you looking at buying a truck? kind of pointless to me.

As for the Landrover, its great if you're British, or someone who thinks their high class, and wants to get their butt kicked, remember landrover is just a glorified jeep.

thats my two cents.

I bought my wife an Audi A6 Quattro, we kept it less than a year before we traded it for a Grand Cherokee. She missed the Jeep to much (had a grand cherokee before the audi). We now have the 05 WK Limited with a Hemi, couldnt be happier. Guess we are just Jeep people, :cheers:

What's wrong with a new body-style Cherokee? The 97 and newer with the restyled interior are quite comfortable, get decent gas mileage (not outstanding, but on a par with the other vehicles you've mentioned), they ride nicely and the interior has more "creature comforts" than the early XJs and MJs. Including dual air bags.

my brother just bought a brand new (24miles on it) tacoma pre-runner 5spd 4cyl with SR5 option package for 16something

its nice on gas, usually around 24mpg but thats mainly highway.. the mileage has been rising steadily as the engine gets broken in

nevermind, you don't want a truck.

try a late to mid 90s bmw... theyre definaetly classy... don't know about easy to work on though :roll:

my brother just bought a brand new (24miles on it) tacoma pre-runner 5spd 4cyl with SR5 option package for 16something

its nice on gas, usually around 24mpg but thats mainly highway.. the mileage has been rising steadily as the engine gets broken in

nevermind, you don't want a truck.

try a late to mid 90s bmw... theyre definaetly classy... don't know about easy to work on though :roll:

if you go the BMW route, ceck the rear subframes for damage.

the aluminum arms like to pull out of the body, if it was repaired properly it's not such a big deal, but when my friend was 3 series shopping we found 3 out of 5 that had this damage, one fixed proerly, two hacked together.

id go for the landrover, factory strait axle :D

I agree. Pretty good ones at that. And an aluminum V8.

I was interested in a Rover until I saw what kind of gas mileage they got. :eek:

Went with a Toy for better mileage and better resale value. :brows:

Personally, as cool as they appear to be, I would stay FAR from a rover. just too expensive to get parts for and have worked on.

I was at a simular point just 6 mo ago. I needed a more relyable DD than my Mj. Now my MJ haden't given me any problems, or let me down. But it is 19 yrs old.

My ideal choice ws a late model XJ or ZJ. Not really wanting all the electronic gizmos, I began looking for a 1999 XJ. 1999 was the last year for distributers. The 4.0's current C.O.P. ignition has had some problems with cracking heads.

I found a couple very nice deals... but the more I looked the more I wanted to just keep driving the MJ. So I deceided instead of dumping $10,000+ for a new rig, dump less than HALF that in my MJ and call it good. Thats what I did and I am loving it!!

Some little things that really made it nice...5100 Bilstein shocks and four Infinity KAPPA speakers. New sway bar bushings and disconnects. Completely rebuilt from axle's. I switched from the MT's to a new set of BFG AT's. Its the little things like that that really make for a great "seat of the pants" ride improvement. I think I spent about $4500.00. Yea I have made for a expensive MJ with WAY more invested than its actually worth...but its what I like and what I want. I didn't build it for anyone else but me and my wife's enjoyment.

Even if you had to borrow to do this you would have a much smaller payment as you wouldn't need as much money.

Just a thought.

CW

I've got 8 grand into the MJ now, and it's turned out very well, but it means too much to me to drive everyday. It was a father-son project and if anything happened to it, I don't know what I'd do.

Are newer Audis or Bimmers reliable?

Newer Cherokees and Grands are def nicer than my old MJ, but they aren't quite what I'm looking for, but I def appreciate the suggestion.

What is the Lexus?

Now my MJ haden't given me any problems, or let me down. But it is 19 yrs old. CW

Nothing wrong with a 19 yr old DD, just take good care of it and replace items prior ot going out when you see problems. I took my flight training on a 40+yr old plane, I was 2 when it came off the factory floor :D I could have used a 30yr old one but I liked that old 172. And to this day it was / is just a dependable as anything new :cheers:

We have nothing any later then my wifes 95 ZJ, except for the MJ and some rust on my daughters 91 they all look new :brows:

Charles

That first picture of the Lexus is SEX! I'll look into them for sure.

My whole family is upgrading rigs right now. My dad just swapped to an '04 f-350 from an '02, mom's looking to get a new SUV from her '97 Taco, bro is looking at an '05 f-350, and I'm looking for something, still working on it.

ATTN: Grand Cherokee owners! Are you guys experiencing any proplems as far as the little things go? Gauges going out, overhead consoles not staying closed?

That first picture of the Lexus is SEX! I'll look into them for sure.

My whole family is upgrading rigs right now. My dad just swapped to an '04 f-350 from an '02, mom's looking to get a new SUV from her '97 Taco, bro is looking at an '05 f-350, and I'm looking for something, still working on it.

ATTN: Grand Cherokee owners! Are you guys experiencing any proplems as far as the little things go? Gauges going out, overhead consoles not staying closed?

What year are you talking about?? I just sold my 2k Grand Cherokee, has all the bells and whistles. They all worked and never gave me trouble, the Jeep has 116k on it.

The older ZJ's, the sunroof motor did tend to go, also you may have to fix the seat heater's. Overall they are fairly reliable. I had a couple ZJ's, my last one was a 98 5.9, sold it at 100k, no issues.

If you have the cash, look at the new Grand Cherokee's. Our 05 is amazing. Go drive one!!! :cheers:

I'm sorta a loyalist when it comes to manches and xj's....

BUT i gotta say i wish I'd fixed the zj I had...it had a blown motor, wrecked front axle, bumper, and grille. i traded it for an 86 cherokee that had chrome front end, door handles, etc. and a/c, and buckets that matched mine. and cruise.

so MJ's are nice...I like them alot.

BUT i feel that a ZJ would be an excellant vehicle for driving and looks.