Charcoal Canister Q's

Do these things require periodic maintenance? Was thinking about one of the lines I replaced a year or two ago on it (leading over to the airbox) and was wondering if there was anything inside to service, IE: a filter of some sort. :hmm: I know their basic function is to remove fumes from the tank and send them into the intake to be burnt up with the regular air/fuel mixtures.

Was looking on Advance's website and stumbled across a "Crankcase Breather Filter / Vapor Canister Filter" sold by Purolator and BWD respectively.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/purolator-crankcase-breather-filter-b40015/5851661-P?searchTerm=filter

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bwd-vapor-canister-filter-ec224/3488462-P?searchTerm=filter

What exactly are these for? :dunno:  I've never heard of such a thing on these systems, although they remind me of the small breather filter on the air filter housing of carburetors.

The old AMC canisters in the 80's (p/n 33002870) had a replaceable filter on the bottom like in your picture. You could also change out the activated charcoal at the same time. Unfortunately they are now obsolete unless you find one at the junkyard. The ones used now, p/n 53030500, are sealed units and not serviceable. When they don't function anymore you replace it, ~ $30-$40 aftermarket. Depending on conditions, they are normally good for ~90K miles. Mine started smelling at about 100K miles and I replaced it.

CP3045_FULL.jpg

• 2 months later...

I got rid of my OE canister, beginning to prep the engine bay for the new engine.

I used an A/C line muffler as a canister. I cut off the aluminum lines, drilled and tapped the lower for 3/8 and the upper for 1/4" fittings. I filled the canister about 90% full with activated carbon, I shook it with each fill to fill in around the baffles that are inside. I used bronze wool behind each fitting to filter the fittings from the activated carbon.

I'll mount the canister on the bed support rail just behind the gas tank.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

The vacuum lines and purge valve are long gone.

There are two lines that come out of the tank to the TBI, supply and return.

There is a third line, vent line, that comes out of the top of the tank that runs to a hard line that runs to the OE canister. I am cutting out that hard line and then plumbing the soft vent hose to the new canister. It just allows the tank to breath.

I've been all over the net looking a what others have made up, coffee cans....paint cans......PVC pipe...etc.....  

I like to look around and see things that already exist for what they could be rather than what they are.

This is exactly what I wanted to do. I too looked over the net, and found "can" solutions that looked "cheap" or "not the right part". Your idea looks great. I've been looking for a container to use, and I think I'll do what you did. 

I wanted to mount it in front of the tank, on the skid.

I was debating on using the current vacuum hard line that runs to the engine bay. Connecting that to the other end of the container, and connecting to a vacuum port on the intake.   Or, just leaving the other end of the canister open. 

I got rid of my OE canister, beginning to prep the engine bay for the new engine.

I used an A/C line muffler as a canister. I cut off the aluminum lines, drilled and tapped the lower for 3/8 and the upper for 1/4" fittings. I filled the canister about 90% full with activated carbon, I shook it with each fill to fill in around the baffles that are inside. I used bronze wool behind each fitting to filter the fittings from the activated carbon.

I'll mount the canister on the bed support rail just behind the gas tank.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I really like the shape and size of the TJ canister.  

Hoping that since it's offered by SMP that I can find it cheaper or thru a work supplier on discount. 

smp-cp3206_de_xl.jpg

That's the same as the 97+ XJ's and what I am using in my 97+ conversion...

Rockauto has them listed...

Nope they were under the 98+ XJ as well for sure maybe not the 97's... AT least up here and I can't see them changing just for Us up Here...

I have parted out several XJ's now mostly 98+ but they were all under the jeep...