I know lots of people add power steering but how could I remove it just switch to manual. Can i just remove the pump cap the steering box and throw a shorter belt on or do I have to replace the steering box with a manual one. The main thing is i don't want to spend the money to replace the leaky steering box. or should i just suck it up and do it?

I know lots of people add power steering but how could I remove it just switch to manual. Can i just remove the pump cap the steering box and throw a shorter belt on or do I have to replace the steering box with a manual one. The main thing is i don't want to spend the money to replace the leaky steering box. or should i just suck it up and do it?

I don't normally endorse these products, but I had a leaky steering gear box also at the output shaft and tried a bottle of Lucas power steering stop leak as a temp fix. It took about a week for the leak to stop, but three years later it's still dry with no ill effects. Worth a shot.

powerleak.jpg

I had manual steering on my MJ. adding powersteering is one of the best mods I have done, I would never go back.

Besides the manual boxes are typically quite a bit more expensive then the power ones and harder to find.

You can buy a lower shaft seal kit at your local parts store for around 20 bucks. You don't have to even remove the box .But If you have any play or excessive wear on the shaft itself the repair isn't probably going to last long .

You sure can. But you have to pull the Pitman arm to replace the seal and that's lots of fun with the box on the truck.  :yes:   I just had a slight leak and tried the Lucas stuff first. It worked just fine. Still is.

I don't normally endorse these products, but I had a leaky steering gear box also at the output shaft and tried a bottle of Lucas power steering stop leak as a temp fix. It took about a week for the leak to stop, but three years later it's still dry with no ill effects. Worth a shot.

powerleak.jpg

Gonna try this tomorrow before I tear into mine!