New To Jeep!

wannabelifted

Hi! My name is Adil. I just converted from slammed cars and tuners to 4x4. This is my first 4x4/truck I've ever owned:

1986 comanche xls single cab

2.8l 5speed 4x4 with a Dana 35 rear and front 30.

It's a two tone red and black exterior and red interior.

Suspension is sitting stock right now but I have some really aggressive wheels IMO. It has 32x11.5 and rubs when I turn more than half a steering wheel rotation. The car is all manual with manual windows and door locks. It has been converted to r134a for the a/c. There is a sunroof which I'm thinking is aftermarket.

Some issues I've run into since buying the truck is the fuel sender unit isn't working properly. The fuel gauge is jumping all over the place. And the tach is tuned for a 4cyl so when I'm revving/driving the Rpm sits crazy high. It shows the idle at 1900. :(

If anyone has any information on how to adjust those little issues it would be a great amount of help! And what kind of suspension I would need to clear 32 in the front? Thanks everyone in advance! I look forward to becoming an active member of this community.

8anejyne.jpg

Well there's been a lot of discussion of how you can run 31s at stock height with slight rubbing....

I say considering the backspacing to your wheels is the reason why your rubbing...if your running the stock turbines like in your pic you will rub all day!!! Unless you put steering stops but that limits your turning radius....

I had a 3" lift with 32s

I have 32's on mine with almost no lift. I trimmed slightly the lower plastic parts of the flares and it helped greatly. Still get to keep the stock flare look. If I didnt tell you I trimmed you probably wouldnt know it. It doeant take much to clear it. But some 2inch pucks in front and some Chevy drop shackles in the rear will get you a little more clearance. Just don't forget a front alignment after doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

To my knowledge it's not possible for the tach to be "tuned" it's a sensor that runs off the coil. It detects each time a spark is made. Sounds like you have a issue elsewhere. Are you sure its not really idleing at 1900 rpms? Sounds like a vaccum leak or bad TPS. Off course I don't kno much about the v6s that came in mjs. Just know about the I6 4.0.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't want to make my own thread, but I'm also new to Jeep. Picked up an 89 Comanche a couple weeks ago. Runs pretty good, except it has some wobble between 45-55 mph. Not much in the way of AC either, but it's alright since I have a beater car with no AC, and my first car was a 66 Mustang also with no AC. Kinda wish it had cloth seats, but the original owners recovered the seats a few years ago and they look really good. The truck was originally a maroon color, but they repainted it silver a few years ago. Came with the original 10-spoke "turbine" looking wheels, I think I'm going to put those back on when I need to buy the next set of tires. There's a little dent in the driver's door, but nothing major. Gonna be changing the oil tomorrow hopefully...or maybe tonight. The wife is gone and I have an empty garage space. Need to find my jack & jackstands (and a beer!)

14475041414_c1db086dd8_c.jpg

14476240075_2ce10ff9a9_c.jpg