Marriage And Hyphens

JeepcoMJ

Buddy of mine is getting married.  She wants them both to change their names to hyphenated names.

don't like her, told him to run.    This main stream modernization is immasculating.   The girl wanting that I get, but not the guy.

I hate and I mean hate, people who do that. It seems like they already have a plan to end it at some point. it's like, you love me but not enough to take my name in marriage.

I don't care if her first name sounds like $#!& with my last name. Your taking it or we are not getting hitched. I don't plan to get married anyway. It's just a waste of money. If you love someone and want to spend your lives together, you shouldn't have to put a label on it.

I don't plan on marriage simply because all the "rights activists" have gotten their way and ruined a religious experience for me.   Not against people doing what they want, simply upset that nothing is sacred anymore

I don't plan on marriage simply because all the "rights activists" have gotten their way and ruined a religious experience for me.   Not against people doing what they want, simply upset that nothing is sacred anymore

Marriage is not a religious event. Think of it as a contract, which is what it is.

Personally I don't care about the last names, I've seen/heard of all variations, I know people who didn't take the last name, etc. in the end it truly doesn't matter.

I don't plan on marriage simply because all the "rights activists" have gotten their way and ruined a religious experience for me. Not against people doing what they want, simply upset that nothing is sacred anymore

That's exactly how I feel...5 guys at my job under the age of 30 are already divorced and that's already scares me because that's how most young marriages will last up to....

Tough subject, but I agree.  Your faith should be strong enough to get past the activists though.  I applaud you for bringing it up.  Much respect.  America is so cautious to take any side they just avoid any mention of a difficult situation because they think that it's better than fighting over what you truely believe in.  Freedom we stand, one nation under GOD.

Tough subject, but I agree.  Your faith should be strong enough to get past the activists though.  I applaud you for bringing it up.  Much respect.  America is so cautious to take any side they just avoid any mention of a difficult situation because they think that it's better than fighting over what you truely believe in.  Freedom we stand, one nation under GOD.

Don't misunderstand me; I believe in God and living life by being good to yourself in others....I will not ever go back to church.

That said, to me....marriage was sacred...the bond between a God fearing man and woman. To death do us part.

I have a couple ghey fiends who believe the same thing, are religious, and perfectly comfortable with the fact that marriage is as I defined above.

Certainly don't have a problem with people having rights and choices...what's not for me may be for them. I don't even support abortion, but I also don't support telling others they can't make their own choices...it is their fault they're going to hell, not mine.

I'm pretty sure most people here know that there is no topic I fear to speak my mind on. (Shake-um babies and what is realistic approach to dealing with their care, what "quality of life" really means, and why some things are not beneficially worth the effort is a subject I just breached today with a bunch of liberals lol)

People have always had names, but surnames are relatively recent (considering the entirety of human existence) and were mostly to keep track of lineage or so people would know something about your lineage just by introducing yourself, which is why nobility had surnames much before common people. Then they're for the government to keep track of you. Who takes whose name (or not) upon marriage varies by culture. Long story short, it's all arbitrary. It means whatever you want it to mean. People should have whatever name they damn well please. 

I have been given a hard time about my own last name. It is a matter of preference, not to prove a point or destroy the institution of marriage or family. 

I don't plan on marriage simply because all the "rights activists" have gotten their way and ruined a religious experience for me. Not against people doing what they want, simply upset that nothing is sacred anymore

That's exactly how I feel...5 guys at my job under the age of 30 are already divorced and that's already scares me because that's how most young marriages will last up to....

Yeah, getting married young is a terrible idea. I got married really young because of pressure from the religion I formerly belonged to, and now I'm getting divorced. If you manage to pick the right person, it's not so bad, but I was too young to recognize the trouble I was getting into.

Anyway... I'm sure sharing a lot of personal information for a newcomer, lol. Oh well.