Electric Fan

I have a 87 MJ 4.0 5 spd that is a base model.  My jeep only has the one mechanical fan.  Is this normal for MJ's with no AC to not have the electric fan. I don't think the PO took the electric fan out because the Jeep look unmolested when I got it.  I have seen write ups for adding an override switch but I need the entire electric setup.  I'm not really good when it comes to electrical stuff so I would need a system that's fairly easy to install. Thanks 

You're wanting to add an electric fan, correct?  Not hard at all - Been covered here on CC many times - - Gonna need a new/used fan & means to control it, like a toggle switch or a temp switch & relay or all three -  A pic of your T stat housing will help with getting advice/opinions going - What kind of budget?  Does your radiator have a fitting for a temp switch?  Won't take long  & It's easy - - I've done to both of my MJs - DonH has a slick set up - Mine is pretty much the same - - Anyway, easy enough - $ amount/scrounging ability/intended use info needed - - - Good ideas in DIY - Dual fan mod

:wrench:

If the MJ didn't come with AC or the tow package, it wouldn't have the electric fan.  There's a couple of options for controlling the on/off of an electric fan.  Like danby said,,,The easiest would be to find a 97+ efan and use a deraile or other aftermarket temp controller to turn it on and off.  Or you could just wire it up through a relay and a toggle switch to turn it on manually.

Comanche Country, my 88 4.0 does not have A/C but it has the electric fan (smaller one in addition to main engine driven one). Does that mean it has a tow package?

JeepFanatic, do you have a photo of your fan setup? I'm curious now, I had thought all 4.0s had the smaller electric one.

As Comanche County said "If the MJ didn't come with AC or the tow package, it wouldn't have the electric fan." Perhaps a better word to use would be "shouldn't" have the fan. Nothing is written in stone in Jeep; there were undocumented dealership options available. But for sure, there were no "shrouds of some kind" available for a XJ/MJ missing the puller electric fan.

I woud think they all came with the elct fan, if not it would have a shroud of some kind to cover where the elct fan should be to duct the air to the mech fan.. just my opinion

They only came with the auxiliary fan if they had a/c, heavy-duty cooling, and/or a tow package. There is no "shroud" for the auxiliary fan ... it was part of the fan assembly, which just drops into place. It looks like this:

I am not sure I buy that ... it would not run cool with out a shroud of some kind ducting the air out the mech fan , look at most cars and you will see the air is always ducted out to the fan

Dude, Eagle has forgotten more about MJs than you or I will probably ever know. Your doubt is understandable and you would be 100% correct IF we were talking about mech fans, but we arent.  Like previously stated E fans have the "shroud" premolded into the body of the assembly.

Word to the wise, moderators know their sh*t.  :thumbsup: 

FPC.

since when is it wrong to have an opinion about something? you know nothing about who I am or what I know or what I do.. I know exactly what the topic is.. I can read and write and fairly smart.. but I guess its wrong to have an opinion and disagree with someone.. I said nothing wrong for you to be a complete tool.. so keep it to yourself... and if you know anything you will know even with a mech fan you need a shroud.. all I was saying I doubt that Cherokee or mj came without a elect fan..

Did they really come with shrouds with the mech fans? I have 2 MJs and just sold an XJ and none had shrouds. Is that a common thing to rip out then?

They all came with shrouds originally. But with age they tended to crack up from vibes and a lot of owners just ripped it out instead of replacing it. Guess they can't afford the $25 it costs from the dealer.

Went to JY today and picked up a electric fan.  Does anyone know which wires from the wiring harness plug into the fan.  I have plug with a black wire and a red wire with white  stripe.  I also have a plug with a yellow wire and grey wire.  I know one go to the fan and the other goes to the temperature switch.  Just need to know which one goes where?

I am not sure I buy that ... it would not run cool with out a shroud of some kind ducting the air out the mech fan , look at most cars and you will see the air is always ducted out to the fan

Buy it or not ... facts are facts. We are not talking about "most cars," we are talking about Renix-era Jeep Comanches. If the truck did not come with an auxiliary fan, there is no auxiliary shroud. The photo I posted is a photo of the Renix-era Jeep XJ/MJ auxiliary fan.

since when is it wrong to have an opinion about something? you know nothing about who I am or what I know or what I do.. I know exactly what the topic is.. I can read and write and fairly smart.. but I guess its wrong to have an opinion and disagree with someone..

Opinions are perfectly acceptable ... when the subject of discussion is a matter of opinion. In this particular case, it is NOT a matter of opinion. The Jeep XJs and MJs simply did NOT have a full-width shroud when equipped with only the primary, mechanical fan. This is not a matter of opinion; this is the fact and it doesn't matter what your opinion is nor what other vehicles may or may not have for shrouds.

There is a separate shroud for the mechanical fan, that covers the right (passenger) side of the radiator. If the auxiliary electric fan is installed, its shroud is part of the fan -- just like the photo I posted. (The other photo of the two fans with curved blades shows the newer style aux fans. The photo I posted shows the Renix-era style)

People come to this site for information on how to fix their heaps. Opinions are fine when everyone is guessing what the cause of a problem might be. However, when you make statements as fact that are factually incorrect, that doesn't help anyone and it can result in the member wasting time, effort and money.