Meet Baby (my 88 MJ)

Bringing it back from the dead again. Since minydigger's thread about his lowered eliminator, it has inspired me to get my backside in gear on dropping this thing. I am currently on the hunt for a set of ZJ rear coils and waggy leafs. Since her back end sits higher than the front, I think I can pull off the waggy leafs. I've had more than one lead on a large displacement motor, but all have fell through; in fact one of them (a 327 from a 69 'vette, that was in a '77 Vega wagon) sent the #2 piston right through the hood. No joke, I seen the carnage, it wasn't pretty. So now the hunt begins for a Chevy LSx or an LT1.

Next month, on the 24th through the 27th, it begins. Ripping the dash out to redo the wiring in there, and under the hood as well. I got a set of ZJ rear coils on the way for the front, and jeepco is in the process of getting a set of blocks for the rear. jamminz.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Whoo hoo, she's lower in the front now.

The height difference between the ZJ rears and the stock MJ fronts.

The end result.

All in all, it rides a bit stiffer now, which I LOVE, and my MPG has gone up as well. The front went down all told, a whole 2" and looks DAYUM good. jamminz.gif Thanks to Jeepco, 89eliminator, Geonovast, and all the other WI4x4 guys that helped me out on this one, without them it woulda never gotten done.

• 1 month later...
More progress to be done over the winter. Let's just say she won't be looking the same when she rolls out in the spring. Don't worry though, you'll all get semi-updates and teaser pics at the very least.

i think what we talked about tonite for it will be very sweet...

• 3 months later...

Problems arose here as well. The tranny is about to give out. It's grinding severely in 2nd through 5th gears, and reverse, but 1st is fine. I also have about a 6" radius of play in the shifter while it's in gear, which isn't a good thing. So, she is parked for a while. :cry:

sounds like you need the 2wd ax-15 i have sitting behind my house under a tarp!!! :redX:

I have a good 2wd Ax4 you can have if you want to ship it. Nice truck by the way. Looks like its in great shape. Love the visor and the racerback.

Thank you both for the offers, but money is just way too tight right now for me to afford even shipping on something.

onebigmj, thank you for the props, she's in real good condition for being in WI since '94. I wasn't too sure on the visor at first myself, but once I got it on her, it's perfect.

OH, I had a friend do a quick photoshop for me on the approximate finished stance.

• 5 months later...
so your wrenching on his truck for him?

yup. have the space, have the parts. only thing missing is the time to throw them in.

Joe's a good guy, he deserves a great truck...I aim to do what I can to make that happen.

air bags?

The thought has crossed my mind actually. If I can find a decent, halfway cheap set along down the road, I may do it with a 4-link setup. Until then, it's just the ZJ rear coils up front and going to be 3" steel blocks out back. I'd love to get her sitting like the photochop though, but can't do it yet.

I just did an oil change and a tire rotation on a Jeep Compass and noticed that the 17" wheels on it were the same bolt pattern and I thought they may look good on your lowrider... being oem and all. I know the backspacing is different because of the front wheel drive, but that would space the wheels farther inboard and may be the look you want anyways... check them out! :thumbsup:

ok, so tell us why

you name it, and that's why.

if it can be done, it needs to be done

and then it needs to go back to it's owner

:cheers:

JeepcoMJ jamminz.gif :clapping: :thumbsup:. I can't wait to see what you do to Baby :cheers:

dasbulliwagen: Appreciate the thought, I may look into them if something else don't work out right. That one isn't in my control though. :D

Drahcir495: I can't wait to see what he does either. I'll be like the rest of you all; waiting for pics. :popcorn:

Thanks all for the compliments and advice/help so far. I know she will be coming back a bit different. :brows: