Bastard Pack Q's.

Hi evrerybody. I recently acquired a 1987 MJ 2WD. I plan on converting it to 4wd and doing other mods to it, but the rear end threw me off. Coming from ZJ's and XJ's, I can pretty much figure out the front suspension and how to lift it. The SUA rear is new to me, though. I want to stuff 31's under this truck, and have a nice, stable ride both on and off road. I also would like to keep the fenders as is, without cutting (first time for one of my jeeps!). I know that going SOA will net me a big gain in lift, but I would like to keep things as low as possible while still stuffing the 31's. I was thinking ZJ upcountry coils and a BB in the front and a bastard pack in the rear, but I don't know what would be a good donor vehicle. I've heard some people say that S10, Dakota, and F150's will work. Which of these would give me 2.5-3" of lift, decent cargo capacity, and a smoother ride with a decent amount of flex off road. This vehicle will mainly be used to haul stuff, drive on the highway, and do some desert road bombing. Thanks in advance for your help!

It may be just for 4x4 ride height, but you should be able to fit 31's with no cutting and no lift. It's only limited by the front tires rubbing the control arms at full lock. This changes though if you're not running rims with the stock offset.

Like the boys say.....look at my Avatar...that is 31"BFG/AT with stock rear with ZJ fronts.

BUT.......to answer your question....the nature of the beast of the bastard pack is the unpredictability.....there is no way you can tell to the 1/4 inch what lift you will get when you are making a pack with your existing used springs and adding modified used leafs.

You will have to do the rear first and match the front to the level of rake that you want...there are a lot of posts as well as good u-tube video's on how to put together a bastard pack so you can search those.

Any spring mentioned will work as long as they are the same width ( I would add YJ's to the list)

I use photobucket works fine for me I take them on my phone then upload them to the app then link them on the PC

Also, you can see my build thread below for my truck on 235s then on 31s all stock. Also theres these rear shocks that also have coils on them that help out the rear a lot

I have a 2wd. The 235's that are on there now look pretty cramped. :-\

You can run 31x10.50-15s on a stock MJ with no lift. I'm running 31s on my stock 1988 XJ with no lift, and the MJ has larger wheel wells in the rear.

I have a 2wd. The 235's that are on there now look pretty cramped. :-\

You can run 31x10.50-15s on a stock MJ with no lift. I'm running 31s on my stock 1988 XJ with no lift, and the MJ has larger wheel wells in the rear.

So.... I left the rear end alone, just installed a set of longer shocks and upgraded the bushings in the springs. I also lifted the front end a bit over 3 inches from where the old, saggy 2wd springs held the nose. It fits the 32" BFG KO's on 15x8 MB Razors very well and has a nice "Arizona" rake. Thanks, all.

So.... I left the rear end alone, just installed a set of longer shocks and upgraded the bushings in the springs. I also lifted the front end a bit over 3 inches from where the old, saggy 2wd springs held the nose. It fits the 32" BFG KO's on 15x8 MB Razors very well and has a nice "Arizona" rake. Thanks, all.

:needpics:

:needpics:

lol pics coming soon. BTW, I made a mistake. I was thinking of my ZJ when I mentioned the 32's. The MJ has a set of 31's. ZJ sports a set of Canyons and the MJ has the Razors.

FYI....

In the little box to the right of the photo- if you copy to the URL code you can just paste it in like so :

[ URL =http: //s43.photobucket.com/user/benmolina556/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140202_123817_591_zpsccyaeiwn.jpg.html]http://i43.photobucket .com/albums/e382/benmolina556/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140202_123817_591_zpsccyaeiwn .jpg [ /IMG ][/ URL] ---spaces add to 'break' the link---

It'll show up like this:

Image Not Found