Scored A Leer Swb E-98 Topper. Now What?

Hey everyone! I just spent this past weekend driving nearly 1200 miles round trip to pick up a Leer SWB topper for my 90' Eliminator. I was hesitant at first to make such a long trip for a part I knew essentially nothing about, but I am glad I did! The topper was located in northern GA, basically on the border of Tennessee, and hitting weather heading up there from FL it took us about ten hours. Thankfully I have extended family in GA so we got to stay over night and get some rest before heading back. Well anyways, here goes.

So, if any of you are familiar with the Leer E-98 series toppers you know they are super high quality with an amazing fit and finish. I had been looking for this particular topper for close to three years and finally found one on Facebook's "Jeep Comanche" page. The guy was asking 75$ for it and I told him to hold it, I would be there with a truck and trailer to get it. Given the crappy weather we really didnt get a chance to go over it all too well, but for 75$ it was worth it. Now that we got the topper home and onto the Jeep, we got to assess what all it needs.

Does anyone who has this particular brand of topper have any idea where to find replacement parts? I have contacted Leer but figured I would ask up here as well. I believe Don has this topper but in the LWB flavor. The topper basically needs all of the seals replaced front to back as well as some repair to the gel coat which has cracked in a few spots. The windows are pretty well gummed up in place from years of dirt so a thorough cleaning and oiling of the tracks should help. The other thing the topper needs is the lock mechanism replaced. Not sure if I have to replace the entire mechanism or if I can just replace the lock. The other thing is that the topper has a second lock mechanism underneath the handle one and we are still unsure of what its for. Has anyone ever done the carpeted marine grade headliner on one of these or similar? Where did you get the material from? Also, what sort of gasket have you all used for between the bed rails and topper to prevent leaking? 

Ultimate goal for the topper would be a full restoration of it as well as making it into comfortable sleeping quarters for the wife and I on our camping journeys. I plan to have the topper color matched once I get the MJ painted as well as adding an additional rack up top for our kayaks and what not (if it will support the weight, havent experimented yet). The bed of the MJ will likely be finished in the same marine grade headliner material as well as building custom cabinets and racks in the back for all of our gear. I will be fixing the locking mechanism for the topper as well as making my tire carrier/bumper combo lockable as well so nobody will be able to get to any of our stuff. I will also be adding some cargo netting to the roof area (underside of the cargo rack on top) for small items. Basically, we are planning on turning it into a mobile, long haul off-road type camper. Anyways, here are a few pictures!

1545633_10151926152869998_572574761_n.jp

1609628_10151926153979998_1633916933_n.j

1546378_10151926153984998_227486661_n.jp

1488040_10151926155509998_301557259_n.jp

1555398_10151926155154998_1487906373_n.j

1526290_10151926155159998_89158564_n.jpg

1544371_10151926155149998_887819591_n.jp

1451969_10151926155499998_2141901255_n.j

1525057_10151926155514998_685959006_n.jp

And one last awesome shot of all weve got going on. We have a Jeep'n problem :)

1533774_10151926155534998_1994956602_n.j

RockMJ

Thanks guys! Yeah, the topper is going to be a permanent part of the MJ as I will be converting the bed into a camper area. Our little group of guys are building a few long haul "low budget overlander" type rigs. I will be doing a write up on converting all of this space into a functional living space in the next few months. Will be utilizing a good amount of Foss Liner to cover the inside of the topper as well as the bed area where the drawers and living space are going. If you have ever seen the adventure trailers flip-pac setup, it will be similar but built on a budget. Those over the top 16,000$ camper shells are just crazy expensive and would be nearly 16x more than what I bought the Jeep for lol. Updates the follow when I can find sources for parts and replacements!

RockMJ

Wow, you really wanted one. Well, so do I, but I wasn't even willing to drive 4.5 hours to get one. That one might have been on CL last year. I called about one in Trenton IIRC. Anyway, nice, and i'm jealous as well.

Good score! I had to fly up to PA and buy a whole truck to get mine.  :yes:   The long bed shells are hard to find. Luckily i was able to resell it for a lot more than I paid.

Couple of things:

1.  The door rubbers (below) are probably rotten and need replacing - mine were. I got them here:

http://www.truckoutfittersplus.com/store/topper_parts_topper_door_accessories.htm

The outer lower door rubber you can get anywhere, but the inner door bulb seal is unique to Leer shells as it's smaller in diameter. The above site is the only place I could find it.

2.  The lock handle w. keys will be available at most local retailers who sell camper shells. Just bring your old one with you so you can match it up.

3.  When you get ready to paint the shell, remove the rear window frames and while they are out, replace the screens. I brought the frames to a local glass shop because they had the correct rubber to roll into the channel for the screens. Good time to clean and/or get new glass cut also if needed.

4.  Since I never plan on taking my shell off, I permanently mounted it by drilling through and using eye bolts that provide tie-down points inside when hauling stuff.

5.  Your door struts are probably shot too if original. There's a part number on them so you can order the same ones. Makes it nice with new struts,

6.  Think about mounting a roof rack later too. I got one from a Chevy Blazer at the junk yard and cut it down to fit. One from an XJ will work too, below:

Image Not Found

That's about all I can think of for now.........

http://www.socaltruck.net/interior_accessories

I've used these in 3 full-size pickup trucks and love them.

Shelby, thanks a ton man! I was looking for something like that but was not finding it. My woodworking skills are not terrible and I have friends that are handy with that stuff so it shouldnt be a huge ordeal to get done. Giving me a ton of ideas and that is what I am after. Ill be incorporating some other goodies as well, just need to plan everything out first.

RockMJ

Wow, you really wanted one. Well, so do I, but I wasn't even willing to drive 4.5 hours to get one. That one might have been on CL last year. I called about one in Trenton IIRC. Anyway, nice, and i'm jealous as well.

I can totally understand about the distance, but I have been planning my entire build around this one essential component that would not work otherwise. Hell, I would have driven to CA if I had to. Just a matter of how badly you want something ;)

RockMJ

Don! Awesome information my friend! I was almost certain yours was a Leer from memory but I could not say for certain. And yes, the rear door rubber seal is totally gone. Just curious, but what did you do about the trim rail around the outside bottom of the cap? The portion where the pop rivets and screws are my rubber trim piece that goes over them is half missing. Also need to figure out a gasket to mate between the two that will seal it up permanently as the cap is never coming off. Thankfully all of the glass is in great shape, just needs the coating on the windows taken off and refinished. Don, thank you a ton! 

RockMJ

http://www.socaltruck.net/interior_accessories

I've used these in 3 full-size pickup trucks and love them.

I used them as inspiration for the cabinets in my camper. Anxious to see what you've got planned for keeping cabinet space plus sleeping quarters.  :popcorn:

My MJ will never hold up to your camper, but I hope it comes close! I hope you guys who have gone down this path don't mind me bothering you with PM's. Hopefully we can all get something out of this for future projects!

RockMJ

The molding around the bottom on mine was perfect, so I did nothing. The folks at the link above can probably help you out for replacement. The bed top gets a couple of layers of foam tape before setting the shell down on it. Any retailer has that tape - it's about 1-1/2" wide.

The molding around the bottom on mine was perfect, so I did nothing. The folks at the link above can probably help you out for replacement. The bed top gets a couple of layers of foam tape before setting the shell down on it. Any retailer has that tape - it's about 1-1/2" wide.

That is all I needed to know! Thank you again.

RockMJ

Excellent to hear. Thanks again. Now I am off to compile a list of parts and get to ordering. I will continue to post progress for everyone to check out. I really need to make a build thread for this MJ.

RockMJ

Yes, I really need to make one! I will have to get all the photos ive been keeping to myself of the build thus far. Not a ton of progress, but its still in the planning stages. I am thinking up a trick solution for fresh water storage and delivery to incorporate into this build as well. So far my list of must have's are as follows:

- Adequate sleeping quarters for two adults and one dog

- Center dual sliding drawer system below sleeping quarters

- Storage on either side of drawer system and below sleeping quarters

- On board air system with tank and delivery front and rear for air tools, etc.

- Adequate, long range off-highway recovery gear (fully self supporting)

- Winch (Jeep is staying 2wd for the time being)

- Full medical supplies and trauma kits

- Dry food storage

- 18-20 gal, possibly more, fresh water delivery tank and system for solar shower, cooking etc. (12v water pump + delivery methods)

- Cold food storage in the form of a small fridge/freezer (ARB, Engel, etc.)

- Keeping the Jeep under its GVWR versus curb weight (IIRC ~4850/~3250)

So, that is basically the short of it. Jeep needs an entire overhaul on the suspension so I will be doing a small lift with nothing larger than 33's. Rear end will end up with a locked, geared, and trussed 44 to offset the 2wd Jeep's limitations. I will be building everything out, installing, test fitting and making sure all is sound and functioning before tearing it all back down for paint. Really excited about this project and how it will turn out. I will be creating a build thread to keep everyone in the loop about the build and our little non-profit organizations trips and what-not. Thanks again for everything everyone! 

RockMJ

I have seen hot water heaters made from oil coolers for big rigs or using this write up

http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754

Mama would be a happy camper!

Absolutely she will be! It is funny you posted that link as I had been looking at heat exchangers already! Plan is to mount the water filler neck in the cap with a dual inline filtration system prior to the water entering the tank. The tank is going to be mounted underneath the Jeep with a skid plate and mounting system fabricated to keep it all safe and secure. Might be able to get away with using a YJ 20 gal gas tank skid as its relatively flat. Ill need to get my hands on one of those for testing purposes once I get the poly fresh water tank and all. Pump will be mounted in the bed with the lines splitting off for cool water and a line heading up front for an inline heat exchanger. Going to need to use heater hose as a sending and return line for the hot water to keep the system all happy. The lines are going to feed back to an Adventure Trailer Fast Disconnect External Shower setup that will be mounted in the side of the cap as well. It is the most cost effective setup with a temperature regulator built in and low volume shower head attachment. Super sleek setup! I really think planning these build are just as much fun as actually building it all. Build thread...

RockMJ