recommended engine performance parts

What's your definition of "performance"?

Mine is earth-ripping, tall-building-hauling torque. Other people seem for some inexplicable reason to think that an off-road machine NEEDS an engine that produces 17,000 horsepower ... at 8,000 RPM.

Define the parameters or you won't get useful responses.

led_balloon, Plenty of items you can spend $ on. As mentioned in other thread, I have been VERY pleased w/ '99 intake manifold OEM#53010237, list@ 215.00 last look, cheaper if you can get @ cost or wholesale. I think I paid $145.00 3 yrs. ago. I opened up my t/body & was also VERY pleased. Exhaust was fair until I put Tri-Y headers on. Least impressive was t/b spacer, about $50.00 from Summit. All of the above improved the torque of the motor as well as throttle response. And I always get a consistant 18.5 MPG, even loaded down w/camp gear,canoe, mtn. bikes. Gear ratio is important based on tire size you run & there is a difference between a/t & manual trans. that needs to be considered. A/T's are a little for "forgiving" I think.

mjcanoe

The TB spacers are a scam - sorta. (People might fight with me about this, they have before :roll: )

All they do is increase the effective intake runner length resulting in a shift in the torque/HP band. A shift in the upwards direction. It's great if you have a street/strip car that likes to and can rev. Hence you'll see ultra high rise or tunnel ram (I think that's what they're called) intakes on lots of muscle cars. There was even a muscle car (can't remember what) that was offered with an ultra long intake manifold - in fact they were bent tubing that placed the carbs about a foot from the intake ports on the head.

The problem is the 4.0 does NOT like to rev. In fact it has a harmonic problem that will cause the timing chain to self destruct at about 6500rpm. Not to mention that in stock form the valves float like mad, and it probably starts well before redline.

Hence, a TB spacer is a pretty useless mod. It'll cause you to lose a couple ft-lbs of torque and pick up a couple HP.

DirtyComanche, Thanks for reply. As I mentioned, the addition of spacer was least impressive of my mods. I did not notice decrease in torque w/other mods/add-ons, so who knows w/out a dynomometer. I can't afford one, or a test right now. I usually don't run mine past 5-5200 rpm as I still run stock injectors & fuel pump.(so far). Take care.

mjcanoe

There was even a muscle car (can't remember what) that was offered with an ultra long intake manifold - in fact they were bent tubing that placed the carbs about a foot from the intake ports on the head.

You must be referring to the Mopar Ram Induction "Long Ram" and "Short Ram" intake manifolds Chrysler introduced in the early '60's.

Long Ram, exhaust heated

ramlong1.JPG

Short Ram, water heated

jengine3.JPG

87manche, I think I remember I saw that once. I'd rather find some way to keep my hood line clean, except for my ZJ Limited hood vents($50.00 score!). Don't like big "bumps" on my hood. Sidebar: years ago Renault had a s/w, 18 I w/2.2L. R&D put a s/c on one, quick like a scalded dog, but "bump" was almost 4.5" high. Bad case of the uglies for me. But, if another option available, I'll try. Probably end up building my own. One time, as a young lad I turned a GM air pump into a s/c on 1100cc Renault Dauphine. Another era & time. Had fun tho.

mjcanoe

There was even a muscle car (can't remember what) that was offered with an ultra long intake manifold - in fact they were bent tubing that placed the carbs about a foot from the intake ports on the head.

You must be referring to the Mopar Ram Induction "Long Ram" and "Short Ram" intake manifolds Chrysler introduced in the early '60's.

That's the devil. There was a car or two with the long ram setup at the last car show I went to. Looked pretty cool in chrome.

87manche, I think I remember I saw that once. I'd rather find some way to keep my hood line clean, except for my ZJ Limited hood vents($50.00 score!). Don't like big "bumps" on my hood. Sidebar: years ago Renault had a s/w, 18 I w/2.2L. R&D put a s/c on one, quick like a scalded dog, but "bump" was almost 4.5" high. Bad case of the uglies for me. But, if another option available, I'll try. Probably end up building my own. One time, as a young lad I turned a GM air pump into a s/c on 1100cc Renault Dauphine. Another era & time. Had fun tho.

Renault Dauphine! Wow mjcanoe, that was another era. I realize we're drifting a bit off topic here, but Mopar also developed another engine way back in the '60's specifically designed to lower the overall engine height and eliminate hood "bumps", the 30-degree slant six. Below is a pic of a blown slant six; @ 4250RMP this puppy cranks out 340.3ft/lbs of torque and 275.4 HP, and fits under a Valiant hood with no mods except a small cutout in the inner left fenderwell for the carb cold air intake. A bit wild for the street in this configuration, but a de-tuned version I think would be an ideal candidate for an MJ. Lot lighter too. The old slant six has a rep for reliability arguably as good as or better than the AMC 4.2/4.0L engines due to the use of Hemi rods, and modified crank. Lot of talk over at the strokers forum about this. Now this would be nice in an MJ.......

rn0010.jpg

hornbrod, You're right, those 225 cid's were stout motors. I still prefer the 242cid/4.0 tho. 4.0 easier to maintain, no manual valve adjustment, did a lot of that during my Renault days. By the way, the only other car that would cause me to break my vow of fidelity to my mj would be a Renault 8 Gordini. Never should have sold mine back in the mid 70's.

mjcanoe

By the way, the only other car that would cause me to break my vow of fidelity to my mj would be a Renault 8 Gordini. Never should have sold mine back in the mid 70's.

Feel the same way about the several Saab Monte Carlos I had too. 850cc's of screaming 2-stroke. They would rev so high you couldn't hear them anymore. No valve adjustments either.............

hornbrod, You are right about that! Is that your mj in avatar? if so looks good. By the way, what section of N/A you in? I love to camp & wheel over there. Last vist was Bankhead N/F for some camping & canoeing, had to "roadtest" my latest canoe, a solo rig. Take care,

mjcanoe

Yeah, that's my rig canoe. Strictly a street queen though, and occasional camping/towing/hauling. Live in a little town about 20 miles south of Huntsville. Retired Navy, then Army, now have a small automotive business to keep busy and help put the two girls through college. Love the MJ as we all do on this forum, and they are super rigs, no matter what you use them for.

hornbrod, Hope the business is good for you, I've been a mechanic/tech. for 35 yrs. 32 yrs.w/ jeep. Now have a mobile repair business I'm working. Trying to build up my jeep cust. base. I liked Huntsville, but it's been 15 yrs.+ since i've been there. If I ever get the hang of digital photo, will put my rig on line. Ever need tech. help holler, maybe I can be of assist.

mjcanoe

Roger mate, and thanks for the help offer mjcanoe. Yes, can use some pro expertise occasionally. You should be a very valuable asset to this forum, and you're a short drive away, and would like to see your rig. Shoot me a PM when you get a chance.