1990 Comanche Pioneer

Did some more work on the Comanche today. My dad and I tried to drill my pitman arm out to 7/8ths and install the insert, but it is very difficult to get a straight cut in. The problem was I drilled the hole too big. The tie rod end did not sink in to the insert all the way, giving it just a little bit of movement. That translated in to 1/4 turn of the steering wheel of slop. My friend Dave at work has a really good friend with a machine shop. He drilled out my new pitman arm for me. 

I am really happy with the fitment. After I got that installed, I noticed that all 4 of the rubber boots on the TREs were either cracked or ripped.

I called my local 4x4 shop, and they sell "Prothane" TRE boots. I decided to pick those up. Also, notice the drag link is flipped? That is so I can mount the other sway bar link. I replaced all the cotter pins while I was in there and greased everything up. Here it is with the new boots. 

Last thing I did was adjust my TPS. I've been having issues with it stalling and idling rough. Big shoutout to Cruiser for the guide. That really is helpful. 

Now that everything is installed, the slop in the steering is gone and so far it is idling a lot better, however I haven't got it hot yet so I'm not sure if its still stalling out.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So last night around 12:30 my buddy gave me a call. Said he was up on Tonga Ridge (hour and a half to the trailhead from my house) and was stuck. Apparently he tried turning around in deep snow, broke an axle shaft, then tried to winch himself out and popped a bead. The two other 4x4s with him were't built enough to get to him.

My dad, his dad, and I drove up there. He was about 15 miles off the highway in about 4 feet of snow. luckily it was compacted from other 4x4s, so it wasn't too bad getting to him.

Here was how his Rover sat when we found them

Lots of digging and winching later, we got him out and popped his bead back on. He dug himself a nice hole

Then it was 15 miles back down the mountain. On the way down, we encountered a completely stock Chevy Silverado that tried turning around. He was sideways on the road, sitting on his frame and his tires were completely off the ground because they were just spinning. We ended up snatch blocking him backwards while my buddy pulled him sideways with the Rover. We got back on the main roads shortly after and I was back home at around 7:30 AM. I have only done "snow wheeling" a handful of times and never in the middle of the night. I can now cross that off my list.....

This trip did tell me some good information about the Jeep though. It definitely handles a lot better on the freeway now. I need to get the sway bar on. I also need to get better air line for my horn under the hood. I have punctured it twice now due to the heat of the TB...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm up in bellingham, we should hit up walker sometime. I've never wheeled my jeep up there, (haven't really wheeled it at all lol) but lots on my quad. 

I love your build too. And i would recommend moving your train horn to someone less hot, I put mine under the bed. Theres some holes that line up perfect with the bracket it comes with. 

I'm up in bellingham, we should hit up walker sometime. I've never wheeled my jeep up there, (haven't really wheeled it at all lol) but lots on my quad.

I love your build too. And i would recommend moving your train horn to someone less hot, I put mine under the bed. Theres some holes that line up perfect with the bracket it comes with.

For sure man, I'm down. You have Facebook?

• 1 month later...

Sooooo I bought a TJ. I've decided I want to build the TJ as a "wheeler"/off road vehicle. My Comanche really does great on the trails, but I'm ready to start taking it easy on the old girl. I feel like the aftermarket support is so much better for the TJ, and I don't want to have to cut the crap out of my bed so it doesnt get trail damage. The plan is to swap the the front axle and internals of the rear on to my TJ and swap the TJ's D30/D44 internals in to my Comanche. Then I'll level it out, put it down to 33s and put the Hooligan Off Road flat fenders on the front. I live so close to work, it will be a good parts runner, daily driver, and work truck.

Here is the TJ 

My dad and I did weld on the passenger sway bar link. 

• 2 months later...

So I pulled the switches out of my Comanche and got the factory vent back in

Unspooled the winch cable

Took off my 8274

Definitely makes the bumper look funny

I had to work but he pulled the Dana 44 out of the front of my Comanche and got the Wrangler's D30 under the front for me to install.

Picked up a stock front bumper

Pulled off the winch bumper

Painted the stock bumper

Here is the slight damage to the unibody. Broke a steering box bolt when i was reinstalling it. Ends up I was over tightening them by quite a lot. 

Anyways, new bumper turned out great 

Used the TJ's steering. Had to replace the pitman arm and the tie rod on it

Got it on its own weight again and able to drive

I took the lift pucks off and it sits pretty level without the weight of the bumper

Luckily, I saved my RE adjustable track bar

Now that my TJ is done, I need to take the internals from the rear axle and swap them in the rear of my TJ. My plan is to drive the TJ in to work with the Comanche's D44. Then I'll have the tech rebuild the Comanche axle and then throw it in.

I'll keep you guys posted

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...