Set89's "just Charge It" Mj

Well its been a long time coming. I've been meaning to post a build on here but always spend my time reading instead of posting. Anyway, my title refers to the fact that most of the time when I want something for my jeep I just break out the old credit card but this time I used the credit for some "Charge... er" power. So I will try to post pics and specs as I put my new sprintex supercharger on.

A quickish back story on my jeep. I purchased it a little over 7 years ago as a 1989 2wd Comanche pioneer for $100. No rust and ran great and somewhere around 180k if I remember. Since then it has gone through many incarnations. First with a 4wd swap and 33's, then lockers Dana 44 rear and 35's, and now it sits on Ford 3/4 ton axles with 37's. I did the xj swap about 6 years ago with a 2000 Cherokee that had been rolled. Bought it on eBay for $600 and it only had 98k on the body and only 42k on motor. Came with all documents since new because it was a company rig. Anyway, my MJ is a endless project and I hope to share some future mods with you as I continue to make progress.

BUILD SHEET:

2000 xj swap with HO 4.0 AW4 auto trans and 232 case

Custom built 3 link suspension with 2" .250 wall DOM tubing

Skyjacker 6" coils with ACOS spacers

Rear spring over

Bilstein remote res shocks

HP Dana 44 front with Eaton selectable e-locker

Dana 60 rear bored out to accept 35 spline chromoly shafts & Eaton e-locker

1.5" DOM high steer kit with 1 ton tie rod ends

Warn winch & a bunch of other little bits

Thanks for checking it out and I will try and get some pics up soon. New and old if I can find them.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the looks of the truck. Which front bumper are you running on that. I just bought a Comanche and have started a build, Green Monster. I know Jason and I see you are down in Olympia, maybe I wills see you sometime.

Ron

Thanks for the compliments. And Ronbo, first off congrats on the excellent MJ find (nice score), as for the front bumper, I bought it off Jason when he built his new one so I'm not sure of the brand but I will ask. I did however add the fashionably nice hoop to it. :wrench:  Also would like to do some wheeling with you. I met Willie a few months back when i went on a ride along with Jason and him out past Cle Elum. We will all have to do a trip, 4 manches on the trail could be cool. :cheers:  

First off......WOW..... I can't even imagine how much work went into the making of that monster.  A couple questions.... are you running full width axles or have they been cut? any chance you could post a pic straight on so I can get an idea of how those axle sit under an MJ with Hummer wheels.....

First off......WOW..... I can't even imagine how much work went into the making of that monster.  A couple questions.... are you running full width axles or have they been cut? any chance you could post a pic straight on so I can get an idea of how those axle sit under an MJ with Hummer wheels.....

So the axles are still full width uncut from a 1979 F250 donor and I went with the H2 wheels because #1 they will clear the big factory dual pot front calipers, #2 there are more tire sizes available for 17" wheels, and #3 the offset keeps them in far enough so that I didn't have to cut them down. Lots of trails in Washington limit you to around 80" to 85" of width. From tire sidewall bulge to sidewall bulge, my front axle is 77.75" wide and the rear is 77". That's with 37" 12.50 tires. Wish I had all my pics from when I built them but they were on my phone that was stolen when my house was burglarized :fs1:. 

As you can see from the pic they sit quite nice with the bushwacker flares. I don't get hassled by the fuzz and I can run 70 mph down the freeway without flinging to much road debris.

As for the high steer kit (purchased from Ballistic Fabrication). It clears without hitting anything but only has about a credit card width between the tie rod ends and rim.

Lastly to anyone critiquing my under carriage. Sorry for the surface rust and ripped tie rod boots. I do take care of my jeep quite well but its been almost a year since I have touched up the paint under there and I will be giving it a good cleaning when I find time to install my currie antirock swaybar. :wrench:  

Side note... Just collecting the last few bits and pieces for my supercharger install. Currently I have the sprintex kit, AEM fic8, and some Ford 34lb injectors. Just need to pic up a F&B 68mm throttle body, wideband 02 sensor, and maybe a water/meth injection kit. Then I can start the install hopefully around late Jan or early Feb. Would like to dyno tune it by the end of February but no promises.

So water/meth is by no means needed or required to run the kit. But for the cost of running blue windshield washer fluid (aka water/meth) and the added benefits of cooler intake temps, it gives me the ability to run a little more boost for power without sacrificing reliability. As far a HP gains, rule of thumb is around 10hp per pound of boost. Being that I am at sea level I am aiming for around 8 psi which would be around 80hp (flywheel HP) gain. But when I dyno tune it, my goal is really going to be for the best low rpm torque curve. I really don't care what the dyno says my HP is I'm just dreaming of diesel torque without the added 800lbs of under hood iron :crossfingers:. Currently it's my daily driver, and while the 5.13 gears get the 37's moving quite well I would like that little extra bit of ooomfff to go with it. Guess I will find out in a few months. Just have to finish collecting parts and finish up a few house projects before diving back into the MJ again. :driving:

Funny you should ask about the paint. So when I dropped it off with my painter, I gave him a factory paint code for "Khaki Beige" from an 04' Rubicon. When he went to have the paint mixed they couldn't match the paint code to his brand of paint, so he had them mix up a custom color that they thought was a close match (without telling me first :fs1:). I had no idea until I went to pick up the jeep and saw that it was a lot more gray than khaki. Yes I was pretty upset at first, but for the price I paid and the quality of paint job (base coat clear coat) I couldn't be to mad and the color does look nice on the truck just not what I was expecting. So sorry, I don't know what to call the color. :hmm: It's mostly gray with just a small hint of pewter or beige when the sunlight hits it.

Set89,

I agree we will all have to get together and go for a run, 4 Comanche's would be cool.  I just ordered my TNT long arm lift, bought a Ford 8.8 to swap in and I am waiting for several other parts to begin the build.  When I am back in running order we can plan a run together.

Ron

Set89,

I agree we will all have to get together and go for a run, 4 Comanche's would be cool.  I just ordered my TNT long going lift, bought a Ford 8.8 to swap in and I am waiting for several other parts to begin the build.  When I am back in running order we can plan a run together.

Ron

Sounds like a plan. FYI, not to rush you or anything but Jason (H3RESQ) organized a "hangover run" last year on January 1st. I know he is planning on making it a annual thing. So I suspect a similar gathering this coming year. Think we had somewhere around 10 rigs last year. He actually got some sponsors and had a few giveaways items. I'm sure you will hear about it, if he plans the 2nd annual.

Some random pics for fun...

Just got the canopy back from paint

side view

Grand Cherokee steering wheel swap I did a while back

Ebay special gauge trim but painted over with carbon gray to tone down the stainless ebay bling it came in.

LED back lit bulbs. 

There is no way I'd be able to take that in the woods...... I've found my new Favorite MJ on the planet.......well done.....

Lol. Thanks for the complement. I have had to change my wheeling style a little bit since building this one. I have had many jeeps in the past and while I didn't want to destroy them off road I was a little bit more free with the throttle. This jeep was never supposed to surpass the 33" tires but you know how projects can get out of hand. So yes, I absolutely will still wheel this rig, but in the words of my buddy Jason I will "tread lightly". I do have future plans to build some rock sliders and finish the rear bumper build. Without any protection a do get a little squeamish in rock gardens. :eek: 

on the steering wheel- did you swap the column or did the GC wheel just bolt up?

The GC steering wheel matches the splines of the Cherokee column but needs a small amount of the wheel frame notched to line up with the cherokee clock spring. The cruise and airbag harness I spliced into the GC wheel buttons. Everything works great. Pretty easy swap. I have a leather wheel I want to swap in place of the current one. When I get around to it I will post some pics with the airbag removed.

When does this get installed?

Can you post a vid of it running?

Can't see much of it, but that there looks like a positive-displacement Roots blower. If so, that means power on tap, with no lag whatsoever!

I sure am curious as to price and what modifications to the fuel and intake system are required to make it work. Hoping you post full details and many pictures, plus video.  :)