winch?

alright so I'm gonna do a custom winch bumper that incorporates the stock bumper. it's also going to cover the winch.

I need to know, what kind of winches do you guys have, what prices they run at, what I should be looking for, and another very important thing is to know what the measurements (base, width, height, depth) of each specific example you give me is.

also, pros and cons would be helpful.

I have mine under the rad. It's a ramsey crap 8k. It doesn't same ramsey on it, but it's the same thing... They're about the smallest winch of suitable power.

Slow. Slow. Slow.

You could make one fit with the bumper in the stock location if you hack the front crossmember and build a new one back about 6".

Jeep offered what you are talking about FACTORY!! It used a 6000# winch. I am assuming for the room it aforded.

Good luck finding one..

CW

nope, not at ALL what i'm talking about. I'm cutting out the bumper from between the mounts inwards and from halfway down on up, then building a winch mount that follows the contours of the bumper while jutting forward. it will have sort of a "clamshell" cover over the winch that will lock down with a mechanical latch similar in function to the 4wd shifter and linkages that will be hidden under/behind the bumper. just pull down on it and it will open the top, allowing me to access the winch AND the small storage area for clevis/tow hook and possibly the tow strap.

that's why I need types and dimensions, so that I can decide on what to use based on size and power.

hopefully that will give you guys a better idea of what i'm looking for...

thanks Charles, that's PERFECT for what I need. haha, i think this truck is more of a mall-crawler anyways...but If i ever build a wheeling-specific truck I will be doing the same thing so why not build, and build again and better?

Just my opinion, but I am a Warn fan. This may only be my second comanche, but I've been building/offroading Jeeps for over 20yrs. Owned tons of CJ's and XJ's. Anytime I bought a winch it was a Warn. They are well worth the few extra bucks. On the few occasions you may need it, you will want it to work like it should.

I will use a ARB bumper loaded with my Warn 9k on this comanche. If you want to go a cheaper route, the Warn M8000 is a good winch for the money.

the first one is a joke...I own one and it's getting bolted to my 1 up snowmobile trailer because it's not any good for anything but pulling old tanks of sleds up (my dad buys/fixes/sells/parts out/restores snowmobiles and other craft).

I will look into the second one...

I had a cheap winch on Pong.... the Black Mountain that Collins brothers sell. It was painfully slow :brows: and stalled out way before its rated capacity. Wasit a good fit for my cheap budget yes... would I reccommend buying a cheap winch again HELL NO. Spend the money on a better winch that you can get parts for yourself. IE warn Mile marker T-Max, Tabor.

Keep in mind line speed does matter if you are at a park that makes you pay for being late

I also recomend a better winch. Go used on a name brand and save some coin. Warn, Superwinch would be my top choices.

I put a W8000 on the MJ I picked it up used for $400. Its realitively small and works great!!

I have a MM 9500 on my TJ. Its slow but I have made some long and dificult pulls with it with no problems. I do like it, but the WARN is almost twice as fast. If I where to do it again, I would go Warn/Superwinch all the way.

CW

i run the 9.5 ti because it was the best of the best for a front mount , i don't recomend going cheap on winches , if u can . but the best bang fer the buck id go with the mile marker m8000 , thats my next winch it will be hard mounted to the rear . remember , u say u won't use it all the time but once u have one every one who dosnt have one will be calling trust me . i got a call from the local smokes at 9pm caus their 2500hd was burried at the local wheeln spot and they needed some one with a winch to get em out (tow truck couldnt get to them) and i wasnt about to turn them down. :chillin:

so save my $$$ for a nice one. i think while I'm dreaming i'll just save for a warn.

suggestions on one, and measurements? I have the material to build the bumper, or at least the base for it right now. so I'd like to get started on that...i'm laid up another 5 to 6 weeks here right now and no $$$ for the winch

Actually, I've seen those champions in use. They work. Just slow. Seem to last a fairly long time and make close to the rated pull.

If I was to get another winch it would either be that T-Max comp winch (9.5K, very small) or a used 8274. I'd probably still run steel cable as synthetic hates where we wheel.

I have a Warn 9.5ti on my Rubicon. It has already paid for itself by saving my arse and my buddies a couple of times.

I got it brand new for around $850. If you search you can usually find a pretty good deal on them.

Now I just need to find a way to mount it on my MJ. :D

I wonder if I can have my new bumper modified for a winch?

• 2 weeks later...

I will never buy or recommend a Warn winch to anyone. Crap, crap and crap customer service. We see Warn winches come back to our shop a dozen a year due to problems. I would recommend either Superwinch or Bulldog winches. Only two types we have never seen problems with.

Here is my wife’s 10,000 lb Bulldog winch in a bumper we just built for her. We love it.

DSC_0754.JPG

DSC_0752.JPG

I have the Superwinch Epi9.0 on one of my MJ and that is great. I have a Warn 8,ooo lb on my YJ and it’s been to the shop 3 times for brake problems, not due to use.