86 2.5 Periodically Runs Poor

Not wanting to go too far off topic here... but yeah, that's pretty normal. Everything's a lot more expensive up here, even though our dollars are near as makes no difference equal. Shipping to Canada is only $4 less. Canada Post handles far fewer pieces of mail than the USPS (probably about 10% based on population) and has ~150% the cost of travel based on fuel prices. And the large urban centers are much further apart here, meaning things mostly need to travel further.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took her out tonight and had success @ 20 degrees. Started the truck after sitting for 24 hours and hit the road expecting a stutter/miss, but it did not hesitate. Maybe I have this issue resolved. I won't get my hopes up until I have a solid week of positive results. I am also curious to see how the Renix system responds to the HO MAT in the long run. I guess some reading from the MAT is better than the nothing it was getting before.

Thanks to everybody for their help to this point!

That's good news. Maybe the Renix computer isn't too picky about the exact MAT resistance and it just needs to see some resistance. Hopefully the HO MAT will hold up under all conditions. 20* up there? It's almost 70* here now.   :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add one more thing to this thread...

This summer I installed a 165 degree thermostat in my 2.5L.  I figured its hot out and cooler is better right?  Well the engine ever since would hesitate when cruising.  I could accelerate out of it, but when cruising 45-55 mph, it would feel sluggish.  I read on this forum as well as others, the RENIX is tuned to a 195 degree thermostat.  This past weekend I swapped in a 195.

The engine runs like a dream!

At this very moment.......

I just did the pan of water test with the 195 stat that was in my truck, did not open till after 200 degrees.......like 205+.

I installed the Spal switch the other night and all was right with the world until I realized that the fan was not shutting off while driving.

I picked up a 180 today, tested it with the 195 and it seems to open around 185+.

My wife's cooking thermometer does not read in full increments so it's hard to be exact.

I'd like to find a stat other than Stant brand.........inconsistent.

Anyone know of another brand?

Yes. And it has a heated intake manifold, doesn't it? 

Yup, but the Chrysler MPI 2.5 doesn't have the heated manifold.

The truck has been running fine for awhile now, even at -5. I did get the temp gauge working and it seems to sit around 190, though is a bit sluggish. Probably due to the parts store tstat. To be replaced when I replace the water pump that occasionally weeps.

Yes. And it has a heated intake manifold, doesn't it? 

Yup, but the Chrysler MPI 2.5 doesn't have the heated manifold.

The truck has been running fine for awhile now, even at -5. I did get the temp gauge working and it seems to sit around 190, though is a bit sluggish. Probably due to the parts store tstat. To be replaced when I replace the water pump that occasionally weeps.

g

Get a factory stat for faster warmup.