Breven52's 1987 Comanche Pioneer

Hey Comanche Club

My Name is Breven and I am a jeepaholic. I recently acquired my 3rd Comanche(had a 1988 and a 1992 when I was 15), but I currently own three other jeeps(2004 Wrangler TJ, 1942 Ford GPW, and a 1945 Willys MB). I had been looking for a good Comanche for years when I came across this one two weeks ago. I purchased it from Roadtrip Carolinas in Greeneville,SC. I probably paid a little too much, but as far as myself and my dad can tell it has had no rust or mechanical problems, even in it's 170,000 miles on the road.It needs paint pretty bad but other wise is pristine. it is a fourwheel drive 5 speed 4.0 Pioneer in Dover Grey with a burgundy interior. It needs some paint, but is otherwise solid. I intend to change the wheels from the wrangler wheels that are on it as they tend to rub on turns. I'd like to find some wheels like were on my 1992 Comanche. I intend to rhino line the bed and undersides of the truck as money becomes available. I will most likely POR 15 the cab floor and frame. Not sure how extreme I will get into modifying this truck yet, as part of me wants to restomod it.

NQ_640.jpg

Sg_640.jpg

AQ_640.jpg

uA_640.jpg

PQ_640.jpg

nA_640.jpg

Zg_640.jpg

Thank you! I'm not sure if I'll keep the ravines. I would love a really nice set of these wheels

jeep-wrangler-15-x-7-1987-1995-factory-o

My beautiful 92 manche had some on it. they were great. I want to put the tallest tires I can on the truck without a lift or rubbing.

I'm considering either the ARB or trans4mer brush guard with winch, a new sound system, a snorkel (and water proofing the axels to the best of my ability),and changing all the chrome to gloss black.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a day of progress.

I was finally able to come home from college and play with the truck some. I got a massive headache inducing exhaust leak fixed today. got to see the underside of my truck and boy is it rust free. Not a speck anywhere. Unfortunately I didn't think enough ahead to take any pictures :/ I did however snag some pictures in the parking lot afterwards.

I owed one you some pictures of my decals:

P89WafE.jpg

here's the skinny top one:

t6UHPoN.jpg

I won an ebay listing for a NOS AMC Jeep Dealer flag the other day. The guy sent me this with the flag for my truck!

FiwzIU6.jpg

My tailgate is a little dented, but I plan to line it anyways. The bed is perfect under the matt:

tpA0Vv3.jpg

Needs new rubber trim on the doors. any ideas on where to find it?:

MS2fCQA.jpg

After seeing how clean the underside is, paint is my next priority:

AoxW41p.jpg

After taking some of those pictures I drove home and began the arduous task of breaking down the interior to paint the floors My maroon carpet was in good shape. I will put it back in tomorrow:

OHZxfAh.jpg

seats were a pain but came out in the end. they are in good shape aside from two tears on the drivers seat. Are these mesh seats repairable?

OSW6UgT.jpg

Floors weren't terrible, but needed a little extra protection. I sprayed them with a rattle can truck bed liner. I was impressed with it. So Impressed I did my cab roof too..

xpQ9dyX.jpg

6gmnZ1b.jpg

I also pulled my oxidized nasty valve  cover and sandblasted it and painted it with a black metallic high temp paint. I went back and polished the ridges along the top. Here is after I sand blasted it.

RqlPEAA.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photo. It was pretty well dark when I took this. It shows you how faded my head liner was. I'm painting it with the duplicolor burgundy cloth paint. it is dead on for AMC Maroon. I didn't do the whole thing due to overestimation of how much rattle cans hold

GJf9nvK.jpg

Not a bad amount done in 6 hours. It was a fun day. Hope to get it back together tomorrow.

Man, that MJ is a fine example of a southern kept truck. The extra expense initially incurred in purchasing will be saved many times over in restoration cost and time. The subtle touch of color in the striping compliments the trim package, tying the exterior nicely to the interior. Oh, and the chrome... :thumbsup:.

Here's a source for the weather striping: http://teamcherokee.com/weatherstrip/

Let me be the first addict to say, "More pictures please".

Progress has been made. The interior is back in my jeep and I drove it 300 miles back to school with me. I went to a junkyard and scrounged a new aircleaner cover and some Comanche emblems and side vents. I also snagged an under hood light from  a Cherokee that is on a reel and is magnetic for late night engine repairs :banana: . all in all a successful few days spent working on the truck!

Ran into another Comanche. This one had the usual rust and a lot of unusual problems.

Good looking truck though.  The owner said he was on here sometimes.

p76ims8.jpg

zcAT97M.jpg

Scored some Comanche parts at the junkyard

lNMcZbi.jpg

I also modded my front marker lights per the thread on here. I now have alternating turn signals with the headlights on.

221mtIf.jpg

I also scored these.

kW4yJJm.jpg

They will be for sale if anyone needs them.

• 2 months later...

Well here's a little update. For some reason I am having a problem pasting in the links to my pictures from image host, so I will just tell you what is going on. I

It has been a busy last couple months for me, but I have made serious headway with the Comanche.

First nifty little thing I did was install an underhood light reel from a Cherokee which retracts and has a magnet for working on your vehicle in the dark. it cost about 15 dollars at the junkyard.

I also installed the new Euramatec interior lights which work and look wonderful.

I also recently had it painted back to the original Dover grey, and fitted metal chrome Laredo door handles and new seals on both windows. It looks sharp to say the least.

I need to install a new wiper motor next.

I am looking for a company to replicate the stripe kit on my truck, as it doesn't seem to be available. Hopefully I can get some pictures up soon!

Its been a while so how about an update! The truck has been getting what it deserves and some modernization is definitely needed.

New euramatec lights

http://s14.postimg.org/b7wyze3u5/IMG_0601.jpg

Truck receiving some well deserved paint and body work

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

On the side I also grabbed 2 tailgates, a good 87 and a not so good red 86. I am using the 86 as the back rest for a bench I am building. I clear coated it to freeze the rust from expanding and give it some gloss. The bench is made from laminated perianal wood and 2x4 stained with deck stain to match. Ill post the final product eventually. But here is some teaser shots

IMG_1052.jpg

http://s14.postimg.org/5dhkj5fql/IMG_1011.jpg" />

http://s14.postimg.org/ym9jp2b59/IMG_1069.jpg" />

Also if you’re like me, you have a ton of random Jeep emblems. I made mine into refridgerator magnets.

IMG_0618.jpg

• 11 months later...

Here's a long overdue update for you fellas. My Comanche has been pained for a long while. Its been my second daily driver. I HATE THE DAMN FRENCH TRANSMISSION. Its the worst shifting thing ever haha. I have put in a pioneer radio that lights up red and I am replacing my dash illumination to match.

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

Here's a long overdue update for you fellas. My Comanche has been pained for a long while. Its been my second daily driver. I HATE THE DAMN FRENCH TRANSMISSION. Its the worst shifting thing ever haha. I have put in a pioneer radio that lights up red and I am replacing my dash illumination to match.

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

How much to build another bench? I got a tailgate  :brows: