Factory Rims?

so i washed my MJ today and took the rear wheels off since i have drum breaks still and i don't like the feelin of wet drum breaks and i noticed that my rear rims were really badly rusted to the point i couldn't get it off with the grinder usin a wire wheel and i don't wanna grind any of my rim away, i have 2 different types of rims on my MJ, steel and aluminum, the steel one is an odd ball, i only have one of em the other 3 are aluminum, my question is, did the 86 comanche custom come with steel or alum rims stock and what did they look like, the steel one i have has little square cut outs all around the center and the aluminum ones looks like the turbine style yall all go crazy over but not so many "spokes"

Redwolf

They are both stock Comanche/Cherokee rims. I'm guessing your came with the aluminum 10 spoke and when one broke or whatever happened to it, the steel one was they only one they could find/would pay for.

My 87 Pioneer came with 5 10 spoke aluminum ones (including full size spare), my 87 base model (not even a dash clock, cigarette lighter or radio) has 9 slot steel wheels. I have also seen 8 slot, 10 slot two different types of 6 hole and 5 hole steel rims. The 8, 9 and 10 slot look quite similar unless you set them side by side and pay close attention.

There are a number of different aluminum designs as well. It's actually quite unbelievable how many different rim designs were used during the 17 years the Cherokee was produced. Then when you add in Wranglers from 86 through 06, Grand Cherokees 93 through 98 (some are 16") and Liberty 02-07 (all are 16" or possibly larger), you end up with well over 50 different rims with the same bolt pattern and backspacing in 6", 7" and 8" width.

Some pics would be great, but the turbines are probably the stock wheels. The steel style you describe were stock on base Wranglers, Comanches and Cherokees... mine actually came with them. If youre looking for a whole new set, you have a ton of vehicles to choose from. MJ, XJ, ZJ, TJ, LX (2005-up Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Magnum... hub and backspacing is even the same and most are 17 inch or larger. There are examples of them being used on NAXJA), Ford Ranger, Explorer. Might be time for a junkyard trip!

They are both stock Comanche/Cherokee rims. I'm guessing your came with the aluminum 10 spoke and when one broke or whatever happened to it, the steel one was they only one they could find/would pay for.

My 87 Pioneer came with 5 10 spoke aluminum ones (including full size spare), my 87 base model (not even a dash clock, cigarette lighter or radio) has 9 slot steel wheels. I have also seen 8 slot, 10 slot two different types of 6 hole and 5 hole steel rims. The 8, 9 and 10 slot look quite similar unless you set them side by side and pay close attention.

There are a number of different aluminum designs as well. It's actually quite unbelievable how many different rim designs were used during the 17 years the Cherokee was produced. Then when you add in Wranglers from 86 through 06, Grand Cherokees 93 through 98 (some are 16") and Liberty 02-07 (all are 16" or possibly larger), you end up with well over 50 different rims with the same bolt pattern and backspacing in 6", 7" and 8" width.

oh i know, my dad's 01 wrangler has steel rims and they look just like my odd ball rim unless ya look at the slots and notice the triangle difference on his rims

Redwolf

Some pics would be great, but the turbines are probably the stock wheels. The steel style you describe were stock on base Wranglers, Comanches and Cherokees... mine actually came with them. If youre looking for a whole new set, you have a ton of vehicles to choose from. MJ, XJ, ZJ, TJ, LX (2005-up Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Magnum... hub and backspacing is even the same and most are 17 inch or larger. There are examples of them being used on NAXJA), Ford Ranger, Explorer. Might be time for a junkyard trip!

i'll try to get pics of the rims, might have to wait till tomorrow, i'm waitin on payday for the trip to the junkyard or for a fellow MJ owner in my town that's been on duty to get back to me bout rims,

Redwolf

oh i know, my dad's 01 wrangler has steel rims and they look just like my odd ball rim unless ya look at the slots and notice the triangle difference on his rims

I once had a professor who used to say that a lot: "It's exactly the same except it's different."

???

The steel rim was your spare. The fourth turbine ended up MIA.

^^^^ Agreed. Also, the turbine wheels originally had center caps. The wheel in your photo is missing the center cap.

The turbines are 15x7". The spare is 15x6".

^^^^ Agreed. Also, the turbine wheels originally had center caps. The wheel in your photo is missing the center cap.

The turbines are 15x7". The spare is 15x6".

so i need to find another turbine rim and 3 center caps? i have 1 that i took off cause it just looked stupid with only one on it there was another style i was lookin at that are aluminum but look weird, i'll post a pic of those rims in a few

Redwolf

The Eliminator rims were only on Eliminators, which the Eliminator didn't come out until '88 so was not even an option in '86. They look good cleaned up. In '86 you had two or three steel sets and the one alloy set, the turbines.

Another set of Jeep wheels that look really good on an MJ are Canyons from a Grand. Had a set of those on my '91 Eliminator and they looked right at home.

If you're not interested in having those turbines shipped I might go grab those, been looking for a set forever. Shame they don't have the caps though, those are harder to find than the wheels.

The Eliminator rims were only on Eliminators, which the Eliminator didn't come out until '88 so was not even an option in '86. They look good cleaned up. In '86 you had two or three steel sets and the one alloy set, the turbines.

Another set of Jeep wheels that look really good on an MJ are Canyons from a Grand. Had a set of those on my '91 Eliminator and they looked right at home.

If you're not interested in having those turbines shipped I might go grab those, been looking for a set forever. Shame they don't have the caps though, those are harder to find than the wheels.

ok so it was just the turbines and the steel rim (my odd ball) right? i might just try to find 3 steel rims, i could pull the center caps for the steels off a wrangler although those turbines do look in exactly shape so i don't know, i don't even know how much shippin would be,

Redwolf

My 91 Eliminator came stock with the 10 hole aluminum wheels. When I bought the truck from Rich he advised that he couldn't get them cleaned up enough to look good so he put on a set of new Pacers that look very similar. The spare is mounted on one of the original 10 hole aluminum rims.

The trucks I've seen with the 10 hole rims look good to me. I like the Pacers because (a) they're new and don't have curb rash/dents/scars, (b) full set of center caps, and © they look really good and clean up easily.

• 2 weeks later...

still lookin for my last turbine rim, got 235/75/R15s put on my MJ saturday and found out my spare is slightly warped, enough to notice on the balance machine, but not bad enough to notice on the roads, i've checked ebay but aint got the hundreds, any place that could have em cheap other than the junkyards cause i've keeped em too,

Redwolf

still lookin for my last turbine rim, got 235/75/R15s put on my MJ saturday and found out my spare is slightly warped, enough to notice on the balance machine, but not bad enough to notice on the roads, i've checked ebay but aint got the hundreds, any place that could have em cheap other than the junkyards cause i've keeped em too,

Redwolf

You need ONE turbine rim? I have one I'll send you if you pay the shipping. It came on one of the XJs or MJs I picked up, and had been painted, and then painted again over the paint. As an experiment, I had a guy remove the paint using baking soda blasting. The aluminum is now pristine, but slightly "frosty." What it needs to look near perfect is a bit of time with some VERY FINE emery cloth or wet/dry sandpaper, polishing the faces of the spokes and the outer flat at the wheel weight rim.

Hit me with a PM if you're interested.