Ebay vs. the Dealer

Some person, not wanting to use a derogatory term, just bought a "NOS" chrome tailgate handle on Ebay for about twice what he/she could have paid at the dealer. I've seen this time and time again, and I'll never understand. ALWAYS check the dealer/stealer first. Usually it's the latter, but occasionally they can surprise you.

I compare ebay vs. junkyard.

:P i've not once gone to a dealer for parts on my trucks...and I've only once gotten screwed on a deal with my nice mj...that was the paintjob.

I personally wouldn't pay $5 for a tailgate handle..if I wanted a shiny one, I'd go get a rusted handle (got one!) and some stainless (got that too!) and make a nice panel to fit it out of stainless, and there ya have it, nice and shiny.

I compare ebay vs. junkyard. i've not once gone to a dealer for parts on my trucks...and I've only once gotten screwed on a deal with my nice mj...that was the paintjob.

The tailgate handle is only an example. I use the crap out of ebay and the JY's too. The point is check all sources. You might be able to find a new OEM part for less $$ than either of your sources. Though it rarely happens.

Know what you are talking about. Had to replace my fuel pump on my Ram last year. The Dealer was on $10 more for a OEM pump them Auto Zone. Always check the dealer first, 95% of the time they will be higher but that 5% they can be lower. Back in 82 I needed some trim for my 66 mustang, the JY wanted $20 and it was bent and dented. Went to Ford and ordered it and walked out with a new OEM one for $13. Then there was the time I got a gate rod for my K5 that was $45 and I stopped my MidWest Maf. to see my uncle and he looked at the rod in my pocket and took me back on the floor and made a new on for me and told me they charged GM $2.50 for it and they only had $1.00 in it :nuts:

Charles

You do have to watch the price of things on e-bay but if you are a seller it can work to your advantage. I bought a used tailgate for my MJ that was in slightly better shape than the original for $25.00. It had a chrome handle but I wanted to keep the black. Someone wanted it real bad and it sold for $60 on e-bay. Works for me!!

Pat

89 MJ

4.7 L Stroker

You do have to watch the price of things on e-bay but if you are a seller it can work to your advantage. I bought a used tailgate for my MJ that was in slightly better shape than the original for $25.00. It had a chrome handle but I wanted to keep the black. Someone wanted it real bad and it sold for $60 on e-bay. Works for me!!

Very true. The chrome tailgate handle from the stealer is $35-$38 new. Buyers should always do their homework............

According to the Jeep dealer near me, DC got rid of the comanche

part numbers recently... So there's no way to see what they have

anymore. Is this true or was the parts guy just Anti-Comanche? I

was pretty mad because I can't find junkyards with comanches

here in northern CT, so I figured I'd call the dealer.

Sean

According to the Jeep dealer near me, DC got rid of the comanche

part numbers recently... So there's no way to see what they have

anymore. Is this true or was the parts guy just Anti-Comanche? I

was pretty mad because I can't find junkyards with comanches

here in northern CT, so I figured I'd call the dealer.

Sean

Sounds like all of our dealerships still have em.

Very true. The chrome tailgate handle from the stealer is $35-$38 new. Buyers should always do their homework............

My local dealer charged me $56 for a plain black one. :rant:

Always check multiple parts source before buying and the dealer has suprised me as well as knocked me to the floor. It just depends on the part. My latest inquiry - front spring upper isolater mounts (new 6'5" springs arrived last Wednesday) because I lost 1 somewhere in the garage - stealer price was 12.70/ea, quadratec 4.99/ea so I order two for 9.98 + 2.99 shipping on orders 10 and less - same money twice the parts wait 3 days instead of next day. So you have to shop around unless you have a fat bank roll and I even make the local parts stores match prices. I'm a little shocked that I could not actually get this isolater at the local parts store.

[My local dealer charged me $56 for a plain black one. :rant:

For some odd reason, the chrome handle is cheaper than the black, and you always pay full retail at the local stealer. You can usually get original parts cheaper online at places like Chrysler Parts Direct and other OEM parts sources.

I'm a little shocked that I could not actually get this isolater at the local parts store.

I looked everywhere for these and couldn't find a set. I ended up ordering 1.75" poly spacers from Energy Suspension for $32 I think, and it came with 1/2" poly isolators in the box! Anyone needing new isolators keep this in mind, cause I'll end up forgetting.