'92 Eliminator Resto

Got some more Ebay parts, spaced out the rear wheels 1.5" so they are flush with the flares. I think it looks much better.

Also swapped in a set of Cherokee shackles, that got the rear sittin' just right.

No pics of it out of the garage because the clutch it acting really weird and it's very hard to shift. I've vacuum bled it twice now, need to try something else as its pretty much undrivable at the moment.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great looking truck! I have a similair setup as you. I have the 18" wrangler rubicon wheels powdercoated with some nice 255/55/R18 sitting pretty. I would like to have mine as clean as yours, and its nice to see another red comanche with the 5 spoke wrangler rims!

Only issue I noticed is the motor is running hotter than normal and the electric fan isn't coming on at 210. It comes on when the AC is switched on or when the coolant temp sensor is unplugged, so not sure what the problem is, possibly air in the system giving a false reading? I did drill and tap the rear of the 0630 head for the 7120 head temp sender.

The temp sensor in the thermostat housing that turns on the 91-92 MJ aux fans is set for ~230*-240*; too high IMO. Since I run dual electric fans, I wanted a failsafe fan for cooling if my primary e-fan that replaced the mechanical went belly up. It's easy to add a dash switch that applies a ground to the ECU pin 31 so you can turn the aux fan on w/o turning the A/C on if you're stuck in traffic on a hot day and the temp gauge is getting a bit higher than you would like. Applying that ground is what the stat temp sensor does.

The schematic below shows how to do it - the dashed lines with an additional dash switch is all you have to add. It's good piece of mind to be able to turn the aux fan on when you want and the mod does not trigger a fault code in the OBD1 system.

And great job so far on your truck. Looks great!

Possibly. I tried some differently rated temp sensors in the t-stat housing and it made little difference on the fan turn-on. Corrosion along the line back to the ECU affects the sensitivity. The switch works great when you need it, which is not all that often.

How hard is it to change the front springs? Mine is a 2WD and I discovered one of my springs is broken. Now wondering if I should lower it 2" also to give it a little meaner look. I have no intention of switching to 4WD.

The rear ZJ coils I used were a direct swap.

How hard is it to change the front springs? Mine is a 2WD and I discovered one of my springs is broken. Now wondering if I should lower it 2" also to give it a little meaner look. I have no intention of switching to 4WD.

What year? Moar info please!

What year? Moar info please!

I *think* the rear springs for all years of the ZJ (93-98) are the same. I got mine out of a V8, but like I said I think only the fronts differ between year/trim level/engine. But I could be wrong.

There were are actually six variances of rear coil springs available on the ZJs.

7                 SPRING, Rear Coil
5208 8364 AR                  w/Std. Susp. Coded (JE), (ZXR,ZJR)
5208 9142 AR                  w/Std. Susp. Coded (JF), (ZXS,ZJS)
5208 9143 AR                  w/Std. Susp. Coded (JG), (ZXT,ZJT)
5208 9144 AR                  w/H.D. Susp. Coded (JH), w/AWE (Up Country Susp. Pkg.),
(ZXU,ZJU)
5208 9145 AR                  w/H.D. Susp. Coded (JJ), w/AWE (Up Country Susp. Pkg.),
(ZXV,ZJV)
5208 9201 AR                  w/Std. Susp. Coded (DS), (ZSS,ZDS)

• 1 month later...

Crash thanks, I have read thru them several times along with others. Was looking for details that weren't listed.

Also thru reading I've read of others that have busted blocks due to the curve of the MJ springs.

Most of that depends on the material and quality of said material the block is made from. In theory, if you do not mind losing load cap, you could pull a leaf from the packs.

• 3 weeks later...