Aluminum 2.5 Valve Cover

Yes. The non renix 2.5L motors generally had an aluminum valve cover. When you find one, buy a Fel-Pro Permadry gasket for a '98 Dakota 2.5. No more cork leaks. That said, I suspect the valve cover from a 2.5 Dakota should be aluminium and should work on the Jeep, but I do not know for sure.

My '86 2.5L sports an aluminum valve cover from a '93 XJ and the Permadry gasket for a Dakota. No leaks :)

All the AMC/Jeep 2.5L valve covers will fit one another regardless of the year.  The Dakota used the AMC 2.5L (not to be confused with the 2.5L Chrysler K-series engine that was used also).  But, keep in mind that if you're going from the plastic VC to the aluminum one, you need to use the longer bolts that are found with the aluminum VC otherwise you won't be able to bolt it down.  I found that out that hard way, but luckily I held on to them from the junkyard.

I look thanks, mine just cracked and the whole 2.5 is starting to tick me off. 

YUP ...i heard that pain well ..i found a 94 xj aluminum one 3 years ago in the bone yard for 20 bucks ! yes they are out there ,seek and you will find one ! its worth it !!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. The non renix 2.5L motors generally had an aluminum valve cover. When you find one, buy a Fel-Pro Permadry gasket for a '98 Dakota 2.5. No more cork leaks. That said, I suspect the valve cover from a 2.5 Dakota should be aluminium and should work on the Jeep, but I do not know for sure.

My '86 2.5L sports an aluminum valve cover from a '93 XJ and the Permadry gasket for a Dakota. No leaks :)

What year dakota did you get the gasket from? I have an aluminium vc no gasket... the vc is from 94 yj and the only gaskets I can find are cork...

All the AMC/Jeep 2.5L valve covers will fit one another regardless of the year. The Dakota used the AMC 2.5L (not to be confused with the 2.5L Chrysler K-series engine that was used also). But, keep in mind that if you're going from the plastic VC to the aluminum one, you need to use the longer bolts that are found with the aluminum VC otherwise you won't be able to bolt it down. I found that out that hard way, but luckily I held on to them from the junkyard.

Do you remember what size bolts for the aluminum cover are? I'm switching from plastic and new cover did not come with bolts...

• 1 year later...

Hi all 

just thought i would throw some things out there.  I have a 86 V6 and a 87, 2.5, 4 cylinder  and i have replaced both engines with re-manufactured from Gearhead's Engines,  when the 2.5 was replace I got a cover from Auto Zone for $60.00, it is a special order but it is aluminum and works well with a good gasket ( Not Cork). Also there is a company in England that has redesigned performance carbs that has been work awesome for power and mileage in my naturally aspirated V6.  I will try to hunt down the name, its been a while since I ordered it.        

Just some info.

Cheers

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but do not buy the 98 dakota felpro rubber gasket. It is not right I just tried. I have 2 2.5s now and have found jy aluminum covers to replace the plastic and I'm having trouble locating the correct non cork gasket myself. I just ordered a crown one for a 93 cherokee 2.5 aluminum cover from rock auto and hopefully it is as advertised for this will be the 3rd 1 I ordered as rubber and showed up cork with the advertised part number in description from rock auto. Some say cork for aluminum, but I did not order those so I will update with results for this is the 4th 1 I will have tried total.

Which felpro part number? I have now just ordered my 3rd gasket. I tried part # vs 50502 r which is felpro for a 98 dakota 2.5 and looks nothing like ours 6 bolt pattern and straight down both of the long sides. It was sealed in the box from factory. I also tried vs 50541 c which would work but its cork with a very weak rubber coating. I want the one in pics ive seen. I have used it on all my i6s in past and never a leak with any not once. Some I had near 100,000 miles on. It was worth the 30 or 40 bucks hands down.

And love that motor. I already took the paint off and started sanding to polish. I had to soak the crusty jy cover for a weak to clean the 20 + years of neglect. The oil was so burnt on there it was flaking inside in some spots and it had a handful of sand it seamed caked in it.

So autozone has got a 3rd felpro vs50502r on its way. It now appears after checking and rechecking pics and crossreferencing to no end that there may be a production packaging error. If the 3rd one comes back the same I will order the mahl version which is more yet and takes longer to get. The last one we tried was opened and returned already.

15 minutes ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

So autozone has got a 3rd felpro vs50502r on its way. It now appears after checking and rechecking pics and crossreferencing to no end that there may be a production packaging error. If the 3rd one comes back the same I will order the mahl version which is more yet and takes longer to get. The last one we tried was opened and returned already.

This is your problem.

In their defense, its not autozone. The actual part in the box has a different part number than what is stamped. It is not just autozone too. I went to autozone after this happened in an online order which I thought was my error. What is very apparent is the factory has either mislabled the box or placed a different part in the labeled box from the manufacturer which is victor reinz. I should have looked at the production dates or line number, but I returned the first two before we figured out the parts had a different number than the box. So this was not just 1 autozone nor only autozone.

Rock auto gave me the same thing by the way. I image I am gonna have the same luck no matter where I get it if its a felpro of same run. If it happens again tomorrow, I will post all packaging info from the label so others can verify. The cork gasket that came from rock auto was accurate though but its cork. This was suppose to b a spare that I got for less than 2 bucks. I may end up saying the heck with it after tomorrow. If its the same thing I will have wasted more time and gas tracking it down than its worth.