89 Southern Mj: First Jeep

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a pair of Arb shackles. There is a decent amount of slop when installed in the d-ring mounts. Saw crown makes some isolators, but I waned to find something local. Stopped by Ace to see if I could find anything on the hardware isle. Didnt have any luck, I then roamed the store some and ended up on the pluming isle....

Notice the play

These are the washers I saw and figured would work. can't go wrong for 1.49 each

Perfect fit

• 2 weeks later...

I really dig this truck. It's not all that over the top, but the function and form of it really makes for a neat rig! Hat's off, sir and great build so far. :thumbsup:

Thanks man. I have a lit of fun working on the jeep. I just like to be proactive instead of reactive I guess. Fix all weak parts!

Picked up a pair of Arb shackles. There is a decent amount of slop when installed in the d-ring mounts. Saw crown makes some isolators, but I waned to find something local. Stopped by Ace to see if I could find anything on the hardware isle. Didnt have any luck, I then roamed the store some and ended up on the pluming isle....

Very nice. I was going to do that on my last Jeep but having the shackle off to one side was just too much for my OCD. I cut up an old radiator hose and came out with this..

I like the looks of the truck and steps your taking on your build. Do you know where you want the build to get to, tire size, lift amount and so on?

I was thinking about the Clayton long arms for mine but I wasn't sure that I liked how far they hung down under the frame. I went with the TNT setup because the control arms hook into the belly pan which, tucking them up higher. I also like the TNT system since it braced the belly pan by bolts going thru the frame rather than mounting to the nutserts only. Is the Clayton system designed to weld to the frame also?

Great build and a good looking truck. This is the first time I read your build but I will keep following it to check on where it goes.

Ron

I like the looks of the truck and steps your taking on your build. Do you know where you want the build to get to, tire size, lift amount and so on?

I was thinking about the Clayton long arms for mine but I wasn't sure that I liked how far they hung down under the frame. I went with the TNT setup because the control arms hook into the belly pan which, tucking them up higher. I also like the TNT system since it braced the belly pan by bolts going thru the frame rather than mounting to the nutserts only. Is the Clayton system designed to weld to the frame also?

Great build and a good looking truck. This is the first time I read your build but I will keep following it to check on where it goes.

Ron

As far as the height I'm right were I want to be, I still have decided if I want to keep 33s or step up to 35s. I'm happy with the 33s right now and they have alot of tread left. The Clayton crossmember uses 4 of the original crossmember bolts and then its welded on the 3 sides on each end of the crossmember.

So far so good man 

Maybe i missed it some where but what did you use for the sliders??

The siders are Trail Gear universal fit for toyotas. 67" length

Arms are installed, and let me tell you cutting off the lower control arm mounts with a grinder and sawzall is the biggest pain in the @$$. Thank god for Milwaukee blades. Got to do a final adjustment on Thursday then it's off to the alignment rack again.

I will say there is def an increase of road noise since the crossmember arm connection is right below the cab now. I guess no carpet makes it more noticeable.

My old group 58 battery took a dump this morning, almost made me late for work. Had to wake the wife up at 4:30 this morning and take me to work  :doh:

Went to napa and got the rebadged Deka agm battery, its a group 34. Just need to get a set of military terminal clamps cause i don't trust the top post ones I have now to not hit the hood.

Haven't really got to utilize JKS quick disconnects since I didnt have anyway to tie them back. Went to tractor supply and gathered up what I need to make retainers.

I got 4 feet of wire but I really could have got away with using 3 feet.

Had to drill a hole in the passenger side fender under the battery tray. The driver side already had a hole that was easy to use.

Sizing up the cable

All finished and excess wire trimmed, and wire pulled out of the way for daily driving.