picked up a 1950 t-bird today

JeepcoMJ

like the title says

and MAN! does it smell bad! yuck!

we're cleaning/restoring it for a family friend. good news is i get to drive it for a week while i put the new dana 30 in the front of my mj (my front axle is bent on the left side...and rattling)

Bad @$$. Does it run right now? And is all the glass intact?

I like anything pre-1970, and love anything pre-1960.

it ran last year, it will run with little to no problems. the glass WAS intact...but the passenger door window cracked while pressure washing (not sure how). still that one's no big deal, it wasn't anything big or strangely shaped :D

like i said tho we're prolly just cleanin her up for our friend bill and at least i get to drive it for a week :D

That looks really well preserved.

...looks and facts are different things :P

it had mice in it..the carpet is junk and the interior smells. seats are still good except for the foam has been eaten away on the underside...not too bad tho.

other than that it's pretty darn good...the front fenders are fiberglass, and the right one has a square sorta crack in it where it SHOULD have a vent...figure the person who put the fenders on didn't want the vent? but other than that, it's fricken great!

jamminz.gif Wow. My dream car. 292 or 312? I had a set of the cast aluminum valve covers with the turquoise T-Bird thingy that I was saving to go on my Bird, (when and if I ever got it). I finally sold them in the pre-marriage garage sale. I shoulda kept the covers and kept looking.

Could be nice again, some day.

It isn't a 1950, though. The first year was 1955. The '55 and '56 had basically the same tail fins. The '57 had taller, thinner fins. Then in 1958 Ford forgot what the T'bird was supposed to be. The '58 and newer were what we used to call "Blunderbirds" back then.

I'm going to make a wild guess that the one you have there is a '56.

eagle, you are correct. i think. haha, i'm just fixing it and driving it a bit before they sell it. one sold recently in rough shape for 20k. this is hardly in rough shape...ZERO rust, just smells bad and has the crack in 1 fender, and needs a new passenger window.

i'll find out more stats as i go...it has .1 miles on it (according to odometer) but it can't be right? we'll see.

luckily, i put a battery in it and it fired up and purred like a kitten. I only have to re-attach the heater blower wires, do a better job of washing it, clean/vacuum the interior (remove seats and febreeze the crap outta everything too) and I need to clean up the top clips and seals so that everything latches properly.

I'd love something similar though, it's ballsy and looks cool without the top on it..especially cause i don't fit in it with the top on very well...

i deal with critter problems at work all the time and always get these things that are like a sponge for stink (don't recall the name of it). get that and a couple of pine tree air fresheners works prity good . think kragen er autoho caries it. if that helps?

I'm glad to hear that / not that i hate fords (but i do) but i hate working on them / cool old car though , gota respect the oldies no mader what they are

90% of all the Fords ever made are still on the road today

the other 10% actually made it where they were going :D

Jeff (proud driver of a '94 Ford LOL)

• 2 months later...

the t-bird sold for 14,500 a couple weeks ago. it had a dead rat in it that got stuck in a hole cause it couldn't get it's but through the hole, and we found that it had 1 fiberglass front fender, and a broken passenger side glass on the door.

the guy who bought it took it to illinois and is spending 70,000 on having it professionally restored :nuts: it's a rat-rod in my opinion...it was rust-free but they look better as resto-mods.

only had 45 original miles on it though...got hit and stored then fixed in 1986 then parked again til we got it :D