My MJs have a new baby brother!

Pete M

1990 4x4, 206k mile 4.0L, AX-15, shortbed, all the factory "armor", new gas tank, plenty of issues. Drivers seat is broken, window doesn't crank all the way down and then you have to help it back up, no headliner, hood pull broken, all the usual oil leaks, all the usual half-assed rust repairs, very little floor left on drivers side, 4wd shifter linkage doesn't work well (hopefully due to the flex in what's left of the floor), shocks are toast, wiper bushings are toast and the intermittant settings don't work at all, hole in clutch line, it appears that the previous clutch master cylinder leaked on the fuse box, brake lights come on with the headlights, part-time light has a mind of its own, uh, I think that's all I've found so far. I think I did pretty good for $300. :D He's going to be sitting for a while until I can save up some cash and fix the clutch line, but eventually I'm looking for a new daily driver out of this. Someday I'm thinking that I will swap in my Dana 44 with 3.55s, add a matching XJ front from the junkyard, then a 3" lift and some 31s. The 235/65s are just too small for me, but I want to do gears first.

Jeep on!

--Pete

P.S. It looks even cuter when you see it next to my 88. :D

so that's the Toledo truck eh?

glad to see you got it home in one piece.

Good luck getting the cltch hose. It took two tries and a week for my NAPA to get it in. I think I have the box in the garage. If I find it I'l post the P/N for the ax-15 hose.

It's still to be proven that the t-case isn't trashed, and if it's bad, I may just replace the trans/t-case as a unit and if I do that it'll be with an external slave. Or maybe I can go with an np-242 instead. Hmmm.... Or more likely I'll just pull the trans off and fix whatever's leaking. But there's no fun in dreaming about *that*. :D

Jeep on!

--Pete

Today I spent all of $50 and got a complete dual exhaust (not a true dual though, post-muffler), a complete drivers door (it's toast, but I need the crank mechanism and glass and it was easier to just cut the door off), a great tilt steering column, a spare computer, 2 taillights, and a bunch of other odds and ends. :D I also found a j-yard selling an external slave AX-15 for $200 which isn't really all that much more than fixing the leaky internal slave on my 200k+ trans. Same yard has a couple 242s also. It's a bit of a drive from my house though, so we'll see.

My new MJ is a little bit closer to becoming a daily driver. :D

Jeep on!

--Pete

P.S. ComancheDude, check your messages!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My 2wd Peugeot self-desrtucted at the 183k mile mark. Blew a hole out the side on the freeway, draining the gear oil in a hurry and causing the gears to emit an ear-shattering whine. Still got me home though (can't say that about ANY automatic). 30 miles or so and for the last 5 I was stuck in 3rd. Then she sat in my driveway for 2 years before the 4wd conversion began.

Keep the fluid level up and be easy to it and it *should* be ok. Add big tires or a heavy right foot into the mix, and you might want to start researching the AX-15 swap. :D car-part.com and your local pick-n-pull 'yards are your friends.

Jeep on!

--Pete

hey pete..

this is totally off topic, but...

do you still have the origional BA10 in your 88? how did (or does) it hold up... the one in my 89 has bout 173k on it but seems fairly good, i was wondering just HOW bad they really are.

Mine made it 140k, Now I have 260k on the odometer. I'm thinking I'd better start saving my pennies.