Wrangler Questions

Eagle

Swapping an AW4 into a 2004 LJ with sentry key is cost prohibitive if not impossible.

First off, I cannot see why the sentry key would make any difference in swapping in an AW4, nothing about the SKIM system would flip $#!& with an AW4.

Second, the sentry key can be deleted for about $125 worth of ECU flashing, done it before, will do again.

But I would very much like to hear why the sentry key makes an AW4 swap harder, the AW4 wiring is pretty simple, and doesn't connect up via the PCI bus.

This is the issue with swapping the AW4 into the 2004 LJ. The AW4 has its own controller, this is good. The LJ's PCM expects to see the 42RLE transmission, this is bad. This is solved by swapping the PCM out for a manual transmission PCM. Chrysler never produced a 2004 LJ manual transmission PCM. Will one from a TJ work? Probably. The 2005-2006 PCM is an entirely different computer with different connectors. It would have to be a 2003-2004 TJ manual PCM.

If you have sentry key installed you will either just have to ditch the feature by leaving the module unhooked or get the costly replacement if you want to keep it since the module is tied to the original PCM.

This specific swap has never been done on a 2004 LJ so whoever does it will be doing all of the discoveries and initial cost investment loss.

Ah, disregard my above.

You can have the sentry key option deleted for $125, or have your ECU reflashed for a manual transmission to keep your sentry key and keep everything CEL free and happy.

There are a couple of things on the CCD bus(1997-2001 TJ use CCD, 02+ PCI), that may or may not make the XJ AW4 TCM work better, but its possible for those things to be broacast on a CCD bus by using a ZJ bcm and tying it to the AW4 TCM via CCD bus, wrap it up with a couple of CCD pins on the OBDII port and you could see both devices via a DRBIII for diagnostics.

If you want we can talk about the electronics side of this more, I simply don't see why this is more than a $100-300 issue.

If you want we can talk about the electronics side of this more, I simply don't see why this is more than a $100-300 issue.

Replacement 2003-2004 manual PCM - $200 Rebuilt/Varied Dealer Cost

New SKIM - $100

Plus other expenses.

At least the 32RE three speed was designed more reliable than the 42RLE. The 42RLE's supposedly optimal fluid operating temperature is 10F lower than fluid failure point. Basically the transmission is always operating in the "Please kill me I want to die" mode. The only way to get around this is to bypass the inadequite stock fluid cooler and put in a quality B&M 70268 stacked plate transmission cooler. Also, the transmission fluid lines run between the super hot mini-catalytic converters and hot engine in a one inch air gap. It is a failure of a design.

If you buy one with the 42RLE you just have to spend more on maintenance. More frequent fluid changes at 20,000 mile service intervals and getting an external cooler. After I found that mine was have issues I managed to slam 40,000 miles extra out of it just by changing the fluid more frequently to keep it clean.

For some reason, I thought the Rubicon (JK Rubicon that is), came with an upgraded transmission oil cooler? Am I correct or am I just forgetting things?

For some reason, I thought the Rubicon (JK Rubicon that is), came with an upgraded transmission oil cooler? Am I correct or am I just forgetting things?

All 2012 JK models with the automatic transmission come with an external transmission cooler. However, that is the same year Jeep swapped over for the newer, heavier duty, and better Mercedes-Benz W5A580. So basically the 2007 to 2011 JK gets shafted with the 42RLE that really requires an external cooler and they finally get around to making that cooler stock after ditching the 42RLE.

Once the module is programmed for a PCM it is tied to it. It can no longer be reprogrammed.

Not exactly true! While the SKIM is locked to the ECU via the PIN the ECU can be replaced and its PIN matched to your SKIM. IE when you replace a PCM the SKIM does not need to be replaced! It is certainly very possible.

As said before, no.

You could order a trans cooler as an option, or it came with the tow package group or something... There's a recall for JKs burning to the ground, and they listed the cause as 'debris being caught in the transmission crossmember' and provide a $10 part as the fix. The actual reason is that the transmission boils its fluid, pukes it everywhere, then burns to the ground. They don't really want to admit that, as it would be expensive to fix.

I bought a 6 speed JK instead.