Wrangler Questions

Eagle

The origonal Wrangler Unlimited ran from 03-06 i believe, and they were desiginated "LJ"s

Okay, then that's what I have to be on the lookout for.

I loved the original Wrangler Unlimited, and I can't stand the current, 4-door version.

I have no doubt a stock TJ Unlimited will be worth some serious coin in 20+ years. Even now they are holding their value very well when compared to a TJ.

If I was looking for one, I would be on the look out for a 2004. The 05/06 have the 4.0 that is known for its oil pump gear drive assembly failures. 2004 was the last year for the NV3550 5-speed transmission as well.

Yes, the 05/06 does have the OPDA issue, but just recently Dorman has released a fix for it. I own an 06 Rubicon, and love it. Knowing what I know now, I would have bought an LJ. The extra room is nice, but the longer rear drive shaft allows for more than 4" lift. I run 4" lift and 35's. Very nice ride.

My 2000 TJ Sport had a rear Dana 44 with 3.73 gears. It was an option. Rubicons came standard with front and rear 44s with lockers and 4.10 gears. I believe the LJ came standard with the rear 44, but not lockers or front 44 unless you got an Unlimited Rubicon.

It was my understanding that all TJ UNLIMITEDS came with the D44 rear axle.

Yes, I believe they did also. I was just trying to comment on the stock TJ's not coming with D44 as standard equip. Rubicon yes. Unlimiteds yes. Sorry this got so convoluted.

I'm not sure if the FRONT unlimited axle was stock D44 or optional...

Produced 2004 to 2006.(Three production years)

2004 - 42RLE automatic transmission only. Sport trim package only.

2005 - Rubicon version introduced, manual transmission.

2006 - Same as 2005.

4.0L I6 - Stock, all years.

D30 Front, D44 Rear - Stock, all years. 3.73 gearing

D44 Front - 2005 to 2006 Rubicon, 4.10 gearing

LJ designation - Fan base created, the one that stuck.

TJ-L designation - Semiofficial. Various interior panel pieces for the LJ will be labelled TJ and TJ-L.

The 42RLE is considered the absolutely worst and weakest transmission ever put in a Wrangler. They plague the 2007 to 2011 JK models as well.

gallery_1_1_212584.jpg

I wasn't aware that the 42RLE was so bad. I had a '97 with the three speed auto and I didn't think anything could be worse than it. It was a total dog. So I take it that your recommendation for the LJ would be an '05 or '06 six speed manual?

^ Nice Rubi, but its not an Umlimited! :)

I wasn't aware that the 42RLE was so bad. I had a '97 with the three speed auto and I didn't think anything could be worse than it. It was a total dog. So I take it that your recommendation for the LJ would be an '05 or '06 six speed manual?

Chrysler should have talked to Toyota about an automatic transmission instead of throwing in the 42RLE. It shifts like a wet noodle at the most inopportune times.

Swapping an AW4 into a 2004 LJ with sentry key is cost prohibitive if not impossible.

Did they all have sentry key? I hadn't even considered that. I HATE keys with chips in them. Jeep's key is a relative bargain compared to many, but it's still $59 for the key. (When my brother worked in a BMW dealership he told me their "smart" keys cost over $200. YIKES!)

I think that late in the 04 model year, they introduced the manual tranny, but I could be mistaken.

If it was, it was still rare.

I would love a TJ Unlimited as well, but am not willing to pay the buy in at this point.

I've seen some converted to baby pickups with a half hard top. Those are sweet. Check out Rubitrux or gr8tops if interested.

At least the 32RE three speed was designed more reliable than the 42RLE. The 42RLE's supposedly optimal fluid operating temperature is 10F lower than fluid failure point. Basically the transmission is always operating in the "Please kill me I want to die" mode. The only way to get around this is to bypass the inadequite stock fluid cooler and put in a quality B&M 70268 stacked plate transmission cooler. Also, the transmission fluid lines run between the super hot mini-catalytic converters and hot engine in a one inch air gap. It is a failure of a design.

If you buy one with the 42RLE you just have to spend more on maintenance. More frequent fluid changes at 20,000 mile service intervals and getting an external cooler. After I found that mine was have issues I managed to slam 40,000 miles extra out of it just by changing the fluid more frequently to keep it clean.

Did they all have sentry key? I hadn't even considered that. I HATE keys with chips in them. Jeep's key is a relative bargain compared to many, but it's still $59 for the key. (When my brother worked in a BMW dealership he told me their "smart" keys cost over $200. YIKES!)

It was a build to order extra option. I added sentry key to my 2004. The keys where $15 for three of them.(Just search for Jeep Wrangler Strattec keys on eBay and buy those.) I even got fancy and bought the Rock key for $22.

This is the issue with swapping the AW4 into the 2004 LJ. The AW4 has its own controller, this is good. The LJ's PCM expects to see the 42RLE transmission, this is bad. This is solved by swapping the PCM out for a manual transmission PCM. Chrysler never produced a 2004 LJ manual transmission PCM. Will one from a TJ work? Probably. The 2005-2006 PCM is an entirely different computer with different connectors. It would have to be a 2003-2004 TJ manual PCM.

If you have sentry key installed you will either just have to ditch the feature by leaving the module unhooked or get the costly replacement if you want to keep it since the module is tied to the original PCM.

This specific swap has never been done on a 2004 LJ so whoever does it will be doing all of the discoveries and initial cost investment loss.