Hho Generators...on An Mj?

mpace6a

Something recently caught my eye that i havent seen in around 5 years, using brown gas (HHO) to improve the effeciency of gas burning vehicles. I'm gonna try to make a generator after work tonight just out of curiousity. Has anyone else heard of or tried just making one, and if so considered using it on your vehicle?

I made one up a number of years ago just for something else to play with. It held about a gallon of water. Installed it in my old '89 Eliminator and it was actually a noticeable bump in millage! I don't remember off hand, but the truck was a 4.0, manual, 3.07s on 33s. All depends on the amount of power you put to it, how many plates are submerged in the water, how close they are, so on, so on. I found that I had the best results when I went through and cleaned/replaced all the sensors.

There's a ton of information online at most of it looks like smoke and mirrors. Do some real research on the differences on what might work and the magical "do-it-yourself and save millions" kits.

I had a friend with one on his Ranger. He noticed no difference, although his only held about a quart of water.

There are studies that show that driving with headlights on can decrease mpg's by 1%. If you did manage to get better mileage from having HHO in your intake, the electricity required would just take power away from your engine. Even with a 100% efficient (no loss) system, you could only break even. In real life, your system would not be anywhere near 100% efficient, so you'd be wasting fuel just to split molecules and stick them back together.

The science doesn't just say it won't improve mileage, it makes it pretty clear that it can't.

If, however, you set up an HHO generator that ran off the power grid (i.e. at home) and then put a slow-release system on your truck, then you might get somewhere. But as long as the power's coming from your fuel, you're not stretching it out any, unless you can find a more efficient way of getting it to the ground.

Don't know about the science working but one of my customers was running one on his Ranger pickup and claimed 2-3mpg improvement. He drove the same route to/from work each day and kept records over several months pre and post installation.

. . . . . . . . .The science doesn't just say it won't improve mileage, it makes it pretty clear that it can't.

If, however, you set up an HHO generator that ran off the power grid (i.e. at home) and then put a slow-release system on your truck, then you might get somewhere. But as long as the power's coming from your fuel, you're not stretching it out any, unless you can find a more efficient way of getting it to the ground.

morgo's correct - - Perpetual motion - Snake Oil thingy - - Was popular for awhile inna mid '70s - both H gens & H20 bubblers - - I remember reading the how 2s in Popular Mechanics & Mother Earth News - Probably more - - Tried both on wifes 76 Olds Cutlass Salon 260cid auto somewhere around 77-78 - Didn't tell her - Zero change - Gave up a little short of a year - got tired of checking/refilling water for no results - only thing pos, if you could call it that, was an increased awareness of just how rough my sweetie is on an automobile - - GFL! - - Some things are better left unknown - - "Oh that noise/whatever? It just started yesterday- I was gonna tell you about it". . . . . Gotta love it

:nuts:

Fixed it for you....

I ran for a couple months with old and busted sensors and took my numbers. Sensors were then changed/cleaned for another run of numbers.

Don't know about the science working but one of my customers was running one on his Ranger pickup and claimed 2-3mpg improvement. He drove the same route to/from work each day and kept records over several months pre and post installation.

Found an old notebook last night with that was keeping track of my millage. I got similar numbers.

I also remember reading a study that suggested that drivers who installed one also tended to change their driving habits with it on. Personal experience is that people claim slight advantage just to make it seem worth it. The above mentioned friend did it as part of a highschool science project because his teacher was a huge fan of HHO. He ran some reasonably well controlled tests, and got no improvement, so he fudged his results to say that the HHO improved his mileage by 2-3 mpg.

danbyrambler's experience (with someone not knowing it's there, eliminating the (sub)concious oh, I should drive properly), as well as the Mythbusters' controlled testing, and my friend's tests and real results are what to go off, not someone who doesn't want to admit getting duped. No one who bought one of the magic systems online or wherever doesn't really want to admit they wasted money on snake oil...

The big three manufacturers spend millions of dollars on R&D to try to get even 1/4 mpg better economy. Do you really beieve they havent tried HHO in some way or another? Or is it another conspiracy? Wake up! It's the placebo effect mentioned in the post above ^