Top Transmission Bolts

Some of you may have been down this road already, but are there any tricks to getting the two top transmission bolts loosened? I'm having a terrible time trying to break them loose. I've tried about all I know including using an elbow, extensions and a 2' pipe on the ratchet. Not sure if they've been loosened since '87.

Thanks!

John

Put a floor jack and wood block under the trans, pull the crossmember and trans mount, then lower the trans/T-case a little at a time until you can get to the bolts without a U-joint extension. Wrap one hand around the trans (holding the head of the socket), put the ratchet at 90 degrees to the body, and do a pull up on the ratchet. It will break free.

If they're the original Torx bolts be very careful...they tend to round off.

Put a floor jack and wood block under the trans, pull the crossmember and trans mount, then lower the trans/T-case a little at a time until you can get to the bolts without a U-joint extension. Wrap one hand around the trans (holding the head of the socket), put the ratchet at 90 degrees to the body, and do a pull up on the ratchet. It will break free.

If they're the original Torx bolts be very careful...they tend to round off.

Yes, I pulled my transmission yesterday for the 2nd time and just recently had to figure this out myself. It saved me about 2 hours from the previous time, but it still takes forever and a day to pull a 4wd tranny (fyi to anyone thinking to convert a 2wd to 4wd).

I had to pull and re-install my AW4 4-5 times...because of my own inexperience and impatience getting it all right. I'm really good at it now.

:thumbsup:

I can pull it in about 20 minutes now. I did not have to suffer the torx heads, the BA/10 had apparently been out before and PO had re-installed it with regular hex heads...although they were grade 5's. All better now, I put in hex grade 8's

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a followup they were E12 bolts. I'll try the stud replacement option. Has anyone had trouble getting the studs to seal? I plan to use a sealant to avoid oil leaks from the block based on the amount of oil that covered the bolts when I took them out.

Not necessary to seal them. Your valve cover gasket leaked out the rear.

• 7 months later...