Want Or Need

I found a MJ sitting off to the side at a farm (garage) sale yesterday. The good is that it's a 1990, 6cyl, auto, long bed, with 80K miles. Bad news is its a 4x2, will need tires, and the underside of the cab has rust, bad, but the bed is in great shape. The farmer made his own rocker panel replacements out of scrap laying around, and that would need placed as well. He said it was only his truck to take around the farm. Asking price is $1000 and says he can't take it with him.

I've been having a hard time finding the exact MJ I want (this on is only missing 4x4). I just can't decide if this is worth it or not. I don't have a welder and my friend who did sold his last year so body would be a shop unless there is another option. I don't want to fall into a money pit like I did with my J20 but at the same time its a local MJ with all but 4x4 (which I could swap). Sigh..... what to do what to do.

Get it! If you can't handle a few minor details then you got no business with a Jeep in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I love doing the work. My former 99XJ, 98XJ, 87J20, and mostly my 00TJ have all been built up by me. I just am not a body work person so I'm nervous about that.

Go for it! My 88 has floor rust, rust over the rear wheel wells and on one rocker in addition to the mechanical work. No problem with the mechanical work. I know jack squat about body work, but I'm learning. You're ahead of me with your XJ experience.

Just get it and get in there and try to do whatever it needs. Worst case -you can't handle it and have to pay for some of the work. Best case - with the help of CC members you can do it and will enjoy your MJ more because you did it!

Taking a second look there is a lot of oil all over the engine bay and pretty much the driveline as a whole. Both the motor and trans oil look like they were just put in. Also seems to be a lot of frame rot just about where the drivers feet would rest.

go south. don't buy a rust bucket simply because it's close by. there are plenty of non-rotted trucks out there, you just need to go further south to get them. :thumbsup:

and I wouldn't pay more than 500 for a truck in that condition.

go south. don't buy a rust bucket simply because it's close by. there are plenty of non-rotted trucks out there, you just need to go further south to get.

x2

I paid $1100 for an 88 with a pristine body a year ago, and I paid $1200 for a 92 in pretty good shape. Both 4.0l and I drove both of them over 100 miles home. Literally zero rust on either.

I would never buy a vehicle with rust issues when you could pay the same price for one without rust.